Used 2002 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

By coloradobell1

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

no problems. New tires this years but that given. 3 Colorado winters 5 passes no problems. We take our Explorer in every June for yearly its oils, transmission changes. We just brought small camping trailer and you can't even tell you towing the thing. heading up Yellowstone next summer. can't wait. 58000 to start, now 88000. In 27 years of marriage its still best car hubby & I have owned.

room, height of explorer, heating & cooling system, nice padded seats, cup holder in the rear, everything

none

BIG time TRANNY issues/Bearings also
By tracydeech

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine was a demo when I bought with few miles on. Absolutely loved it for the first 6 years. 09 is or 08 is when I saw problems. The heat/AC went out. And then the wheel bearing started going (every 6-8 months one would need fixed) It has around 120k miles on it. Tranny died 3 weeks ago!-and on top of that 2 more wheel bearings need fixed on it plus tie rods. AND it is a gas guzzler! Its paid off but it is still costing me lots to keep it! So I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with my explorer. Goes GREAT in snow(only reason why I would consider keeping).I'm going for a more economical vehicle now.

drives great in snow.. comfortable cabin.. love 3rd row seating for xtra people

make a tranny that last and figure out the wheel bearing situation.

Junk
By Kern

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this slightly used with only 14k miles. Nice looking truck inside and out. But after only owning it a year, everything started going wrong. Interior lights shorted out and so did the mirror ext. lights. Coil spring went. Mechanic said it was a design flaw that fords knew about it. Wheel bearings all the way around at 40k miles. Power window problems at 50k. Then at 80, rear diff. and trans went so we got rid of it. It was a money pit. It still rode nice the day we got rid of it but too many repairs. My last Ford explorer purchase.

ride, roomy

better over all design with bad coil springs and wheel bearings.

the money pit!
By lisa

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I fell in love with the "look" of the explorer xlt, and had always heard that Ford built a good vehicle. Everything started out great. But, around 70,000 miles that all started to change. I have replaced 6 wheel bearings, rebuilt the transmission, changed window switch, the interior lights works only when they want too, heat doesn't work anymore, volume knob is broken, clicking noise coming from dash, 4x4 doesn't work, trim started fading to quick, leather seats don't hold up, rear passenger door won't lock and after all this the transmission is going out again. Don't waset your money on what is now known as the Ford exploder.

Looks good sitting in my driveway.

Only build quality products or, don't put it out there for consumers to spend there hard earned money on.

I love this car.
By gina

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Explorer and I would buy a third one. This car has been amazing with very little work needed.

The third row seating.

The crack in the back by the hatch window. It has happened in a lot of Explorers and they won't fix it for me.