2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
very dependable
By Craig on 05/15/10 10:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

vehicle has 72,000 miles on it and I've only replaced the tires and rear brakes...this SUV has been good to me but, then again, I don't drive like a maniac and change the oil every 4,000 miles.

has been a great SUV!
By MGGDTW on 09/27/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Can't believe hearing about all the probs people have been having with these! Very happy owner here. Owned since new,112k miles on my 4 door 2WD 4.0 V6 as of now. Rear axle replaced at 30k under warranty. Front suspension components were all replaced finally at 100k. Some AC components were also replaced. No continuous or nagging problems. Took a 6500 mile road trip from Detroit to Death Valley and back without a lick of probs back in 05. 123 degree's at Furnace Creek and AC kicking ice cold. Great for the long haul!

NOT WORTH IT!!!
By crsl67 on 08/11/09 15:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is nothing but problems! Transmission slips, had rearend replaced once already, car dies while driving. In hot weather car will not start no one can tell me why. Have had electrical problems. This car isn't worth the aggravation.

Same problems as everyone else
By Brian Apple on 07/07/09 06:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Well, my problems seem to not be a coincidence compared to others. I've had wheel bearing problems since I got the car and the strip under the rear window has a crack. I've had this car towed once because the wheel bearings failing in the front almost killed me on the interstate. I can't believe it has such an average high rating on this site. The V6 is one of the weakest on the planet. If Cadillac can get 306 hp out of 3.6 liters, why does Ford manage 210 hp from 4? They still use the same crappy V6 and the mileage is pretty terrible too. Oh, and the ride is rough and the open differential is also terrible. If you have one wheel on mud and one on pavement, you're going no where.

waste of money
By john on 06/05/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Waited until I could afford Exp. 1st rear end replaced(warranty), then not under warranty was window motor, faded window panels and abs sensor. Then within last 6 months cracked rear panel in lift gate and heat/air fan control is stuck on vent. With in last week transmission solenoid pack needs to be replaced as do all 4 wheel bearings. When I contacted Ford they replied "we hope that your future experiences with Ford products will be more positive." Huh?

Needs Improvement
By Morgan on 01/06/09 10:07 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

AC makes rattleing noise, in the garage twice for check engine light. Gas mileage stinks. As soon as 36 mo. warranty was up, the rear grease seal on the rear drive began to leak. Cruise control works sometimes. Ford means fix or repair daily.

Not a very good buy
By bigrobrown on 12/10/08 18:30 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Really regret buying this car. It was my first purchase and I was extremely excited about it and didn't think to ask many important questions. To be a V6 it got really bad gas mileage and maintance is insane. Have had it in the shop for serious repairs like two days after the warranty expired. It does look nice in my opinion but that's all this car has. Keep your money and buy something else

A Great Value
By Donna (Dallas, TX) on 06/11/07 15:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was very skeptical about owning a Ford due to all the concerns about reliability and depreciation. The newly redesigned Explorer definitely proved me wrong. This vehicle is a very good value for its price. It's not fancy, but very utilitarian (as an SUV should be). The fuel economy is actually not too bad for its size (I got 20.5 hwy and 15 local). Loved all the different compartments in the cargo area. Ride is somewhat truck-like but seats were comfortable and this was our "go to" roadtrip car. Didn't have too many problems with it except for the recall about the hatch (which was noisy over large bumps). Exterior clear gloss paint started fading around the windows after 5 years.

Very Solid SUV
By x on 03/04/06 18:38 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the practicality and cargo capacity. It is a very value-packed SUV, and is great for families and off roaders alike. It is also very smooth riding and reliable.

wow
By nvelez on 12/24/05 15:24 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

i love my truck. Roomy, comfortable, rides and handles extremely well; all the bells and whistles. Cons: Not the greatest gas mileage, but is getting a little better As the proud owner of my fourth Ford Explorer, I can honestly say the 2002 Explorer is absolutely the best model yet! New technology, great styling, 3rd row seat. Cons: Gas mileage, ugly key fob. I recently traded an amazing 230,000 mile Honda Accord for a brand new Explorer. The main reason being that I need more space.