2002 Ford Explorer SUV 4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2002 Explorer Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
2002 Ford Explore Limited 4.6L V8
By carguy03

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle in October 2010, and really liked it, but after I drove it for a while, I realized that I didn't have enough leg room, I'm 6'4". The Explorer had a lot of power, and would get you where you needed to go!

Favorite Features

Pearl White exterior paint. Electric everything. Power from the 4.6L V8.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality was less than I expected. Could use more MPGs, I averaged about 11-15 MPG.

Well is this it?
By vue5531

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2002 Explorer Limited, but I have the V-8 model, and all I can say is that I absolutely hate this vehicle. The interior is of poor build quility, it's not roomy, comfortable, or very attractive. I am 6'7'' and also have a Saturn Vue and it has so much more interior room.The ride is absolutely terrible. You feel every bump and crack in the road. The transmission has gone out twice since I've owned the car, electronics work when they want to. I think that if your going to spend near $43k like I did (brand new), you can buy so many other vehicles that are much better and cheaper, and with less problems. The only good thing is the power the V-8 produces.

Favorite Features

V-8 power, that's it.

Suggested Improvements

A lot.

Poor Transmission
By Sergio

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Explorer Limited and have been satisfied with it except for the transmission. During the warranty phase (5 yr/50K mile) Ford repaired the transmission but at 87K the trans had to be rebuilt. Again at 103K the trans was repaired by Ford Dealership (this time Ford paid) and they claim the fix it part as recommended by Ford Detroit was installed. I have lost confidence in my Explorer. Has someone had similar experiences w/ their transmission and will this fix it be good for another 80-100K miles?

Break Downs
By Dan

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

With less than 90,000 miles, I have replaced four wheel bearings, rear coil springs and struts, four wheel drive module, "Transmission" and now the starter. This is the worst ford I have ever owned, and Ford will not stand behind any of my break downs. I have owned fords all my driving life and this is the last one. I have over $6,000.00 in repairs to this vehicle in just under a year.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product.

Great Mid-size SUV
By KCAttorney

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV with V6 in summer of 2007 with 95K miles on it. Sold it in November 2009 with 130K miles to a friend's daughter who just turned 16. It still looks great, interior & exterior. Only repairs during that time were 2 rear wheel bearings and the rear AC door actuator. Other people complain about having to repair items like wheel bearings at "only" 90K miles. Come on, be realistic. Once a car gets over 50K miles, it's going to need repairs from time to time. This SUV offers a great overall package. I've had 3 Explorers now and had good luck with all 3. They aren't perfect, but I've had several other SUV's also, and the Explorer is a great truck. That's why I've owned 3.

Favorite Features

Good 4x4 system, good price, lots of luxury amenities, leather held up well, good exterior styling, 7 passenger seating, reliable, comfortable. Sunroof, power pedals, 6 disk in dash CD changer, rear AC, good seat heaters.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone else says, should get 3 or 4 mpg more based on size.

Brake Downs
By Dan

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this suv with 36000 on it. I have replaced all four wheel bearings at a cost of around $450. a piece. That started at 46000. The four wheel drive modual went out at 87000, cost 490. It just turned 90000 and guess what? The transmission went out, cost 3,550. I have driven Fords for over 35 years and this is the worst luck I have ever had and of course Ford won't help, I ask the dealer about the tranny at a local dealership and he almost laughed. Not sure but was told the parts are made in Mexico! Go figure! Oh the heated seats also quit last year. Guess I don't need a seat warmer anyway, and I forgot the lift gate shocks, I replaced all four of them.

Favorite Features

No comment

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product.

HAVE A CRACK UNDER THE REAR WINDOW???
By Bakemama

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I see so many people posting about getting a crack on the body below the rear window, sometimes under the rear wiper. I had that on my 02 Explorer Limited in 05, but had it fixed asap as it was a recall issue. So if your dealer says they cant fix it... thats a bunch of bull. As for my Limited, I don't have it any longer, and wish I still had it! I have a huge commute and couldn't afford the gas when it went up to $5 a gallon, so traded it in for a sedan. Am now looking to get rid of the sedan and find another Explorer. The limited trim and features were excellent and I converted more GMC/Chevy and import guys that hated Fords with it. Also worth noting, never had any mechanical probs with it

Favorite Features

Look, leather seats, third row, 6disc cd, factory subwoofer, back up sensors, heated seats, durability, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

MPG.

Newby to 4x4s
By Blondy

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've only had my '02 Explorer Limited for less than 2 months but I love it! I went from a '90 Firebird to this. It's like going from a jonboat to a cruise ship. I decied I wanted a 4WD cause of the Nebraska winters. My family is predominantly GMC but they all like it a lot. My husband keeps trying to get me to swap him his '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee for mine. No way! I just like driving it. I don't care where. Who knows, maybe I'll encounter some probs but for now I like it a lot!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, roominess, sun roof, heat & audio controls on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. My v8 only gets 13mpg in town in warm weather.

No More Explorers For Me
By Brian

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my second Explorer. The first was a sport model and required a new transmission 250 miles beyond the warranty. The second was this 2002 fully loaded Limited V8 4x4 and I purchased the extended warranty. Around 300 miles short of the warranty expiring I had four valve lifters replaced and then a month later I took it in because the water level began to drop for no apparant reason. Cause: a cracked engine block and the whole engine needed to be replaced for $6K if not on warranty. I have driven Fords ever since I first got my license at age 16. My best car ever was a 1970 Mach I Mustang, but I wil never buy another Explorer. In fairness to Ford, my worst car was a Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Dash instrumentation is nice, but I too, had to have the CD player replaced once because the CDs were sticking. The old CD box in the center console was easier to use and more reliable then the single feed in dash unit. The cab is roomy for passengers and luggage in the rear.

Suggested Improvements

One should not have a cracked engine block at 75000 miles when all Ford maintenance and oil changes were done on a regular basis at the selling dealer and the front end has never been damaged. My only blemish on this vehicle was one small door ding done by someone else.

Well, its an SUV
By schmitty17

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer In June of 2006 with 71,000 miles on it. And now it has 120,000 miles on and it is Sept 2007. I have used and abused this car way beyond what any car should go through. And I have to say it has stood up pretty well, I have taken it on many many road trips. And it has only left my stranded on the side of the road twice, once dude to a dead battery and was in the middle of the Arizona desert and that almost killed but im still alive! And the second time was due to the transmission going out. I've had spent about 4 thousand on repars and up keep, but thats not bad compared to some of the explorer horrior stories. and the other major repair done was the 4WD had 2 all replaced

Favorite Features

My Explorer pretty much has every option you can get, and I love it. Except the back leather gets a little hot in 120 weather

Suggested Improvements

Radio button in steering wheel to work all the time and not when it wants to