2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
BIG time TRANNY issues/Bearings also
By tracydeech on 04/28/11 07:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine was a demo when I bought with few miles on. Absolutely loved it for the first 6 years. 09 is or 08 is when I saw problems. The heat/AC went out. And then the wheel bearing started going (every 6-8 months one would need fixed) It has around 120k miles on it. Tranny died 3 weeks ago!-and on top of that 2 more wheel bearings need fixed on it plus tie rods. AND it is a gas guzzler! Its paid off but it is still costing me lots to keep it! So I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with my explorer. Goes GREAT in snow(only reason why I would consider keeping).I'm going for a more economical vehicle now.

Junk
By Kern on 08/23/10 10:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this slightly used with only 14k miles. Nice looking truck inside and out. But after only owning it a year, everything started going wrong. Interior lights shorted out and so did the mirror ext. lights. Coil spring went. Mechanic said it was a design flaw that fords knew about it. Wheel bearings all the way around at 40k miles. Power window problems at 50k. Then at 80, rear diff. and trans went so we got rid of it. It was a money pit. It still rode nice the day we got rid of it but too many repairs. My last Ford explorer purchase.

the money pit!
By lisa on 03/10/10 05:52 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I fell in love with the "look" of the explorer xlt, and had always heard that Ford built a good vehicle. Everything started out great. But, around 70,000 miles that all started to change. I have replaced 6 wheel bearings, rebuilt the transmission, changed window switch, the interior lights works only when they want too, heat doesn't work anymore, volume knob is broken, clicking noise coming from dash, 4x4 doesn't work, trim started fading to quick, leather seats don't hold up, rear passenger door won't lock and after all this the transmission is going out again. Don't waset your money on what is now known as the Ford exploder.

I love this car.
By gina on 01/08/10 11:48 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Explorer and I would buy a third one. This car has been amazing with very little work needed.

Extreme dissappointment
By stretch on 01/05/10 09:52 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a Ford man all of my life; until now. Should have read the reviews before I bought it. What a mechanical piece of crap. Afraid to even drive it, wondering what is going to need repairs next. Door ajar light comes on for no reason, 4X4 is locked in low. Was going down the road at about 25mph in 4 auto when low locked in. Thought I had dropped the motor and tranny on the ground with the violent shifting that occurred.I'm just glad no one was behind me when it happened. Rear axle bearing noise, front wheel bearings bad, broken panel under rear window.It seems my vehicle has all of the problems combined that I've read on this and similar websites.Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

REALTOR
By bruce on 12/27/09 20:47 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 50k Trans 1 replaced, after 90k trans 2 replaced,after 60k trans 1 replaced and after 100k trans 2 replaced. Also after 100k push button 4WD failed to work - altough only used 7 or 8 times. We call it the EXPLODER! rather than Explored. Now driving a $ Runner!

Design Flaw
By Gary on 07/28/09 03:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

02 Explorer 70K Needs rear springs/struts, replaced front bearings and hubs, needs rear bearings. Has the big old crack down the rear another one of many design flaws. This truck has never towed or hauled a thing

Not bad used
By OKCsooner on 12/30/08 07:25 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My main regret was buying it right before gas prices went up, for 2 reasons. 1.) this thing is terrible on gas (15/19). 2.) I paid $10,000 and now a year and a half later can be bought here for $6,000. So far the transmission seems to be fine. I also have the false door ajar light and bells. The wheel bearing started making noise (50-65mph) and at $1,200 I'm not going to fix it. The body is good looking and the seats are very comfortable. I also like the 3rd row seats. Would probably sell for a better gas mileage SUV if I wouldn't lose $4,000. Would consider buying one if in great shape for $5,000. Mine has 113,000 miles so far and I've had it a year and a half.

Too many problems for the price
By julz on 08/01/08 22:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Passenger window motor went out, cd's get jammed in player. One cylinder (think thats what its called) went out at 55,000. Then appeared a long crack in the hatch rear trim (and no it's not the liftgage that was recalled). Then at 70,000 miles I had to get my transmission rebuilt. My mechanic showed me the parts and told me they were crap. Trying to cut corners and save money I guess. Like Ford wasn't making enough off of $32,000. Then at 78,000 it happened again-and by the way I baby this SUV and do all maintenance as needed. Transmission again but this time my mechanic couldn't find the exact problem in the transmission- had to put a new catalytic converter in among some other parts. Geez

Piece of Junk
By TThompson on 06/03/08 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Tranmission problems at 84K, rack & pinion, radiator, rear axle, power window, rear wheel bearings, the list goes on and now again the tranmission is slipping. We need a new transmission at 145K. Love the look, love the drive, but it's a money pit. This is my third Ford and never again. This will be a fourth transmission. I guess one never learns, but this time that's it. Four strikes and you're out.