2002 Ford Explorer SUV 4.0L V6 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Do Not Purchase
By susanconn on 06/17/10 18:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but trouble since we purchased it. The transmission has been rebuilt, wheel bearings replaced, and now the o/d off light is blinking, the service engine light is on and the ABS warning light is on. Apparently the o/d off light blinking means our transmission is not functioning properly again.

Extremely reliable
By robt on 03/04/10 14:50 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car new and have had VERY few problems. Computer went out at 130,000. Bearings could stand to be replaced now (still on original set), I change the oil myself with high grade (purple magic) oil and 10K filter regularly at every 10K miles. Changed differential and coolant for first time last week. I have never serviced the sealed transmission on a mechanics advice. What more can I say. I couldn't kill this thing if i wanted. I would take it to Alaska tomorrow.

Good value for the price
By bcamp55 on 04/10/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car has performed well with very little service issues other than the computer going out at 135K ($1,400). Other than tires, one brake change, and oil, I have put no money into this car considering I have almost 150,000 miles on it. I would feel quite confident driving it to Alaska today if I needed to.

A Fun to Drive and Satisfying Ride
By Matthew on 04/14/06 23:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Explorer for almost two years now and I absolutely love to drive it! My Explorer has the 4.6 liter V-8 and I would definitely say that it is powerful as well as useful for passing slow cars. Some of the reasons why I bought my Explorer were that I liked the plush leather interior, the two tone paint oxford white (body) and silver (trim), and the premium sound system that included a subwoofer. I am very satisfied with my Ford Explorer and would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a midsize SUV.

Limited
By jvrunner on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Don't know if it as good as my 1996 (130,000 miles and very strong) but seems really solid with no trouble. If Ford could get its service together this would be the SUV to buy.

Rattle
By TOPGUN on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only problem after owning the vehicle for 7-8 months is that there is a rattle coming from the front end. It's not like it jumps out and hits you, but at speeds below 30 MPH and somewhat rough roads it really starts to sing. It reminds of when my radial bushing starts to go on my 91' Explorer. What scares me is taking it to the dealer to only have them say that they can't hear or feel it.

Improved Design and Ride
By Bill Stauss on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I have been driving our new 2002 Ford Explorer Ltd. for about 1 1/2 months now. We think it is a winner. The new design in which it rides lower and wider is safer and gives you more control and more of a big sedan like ride. We traded in a 1999 Explorer and have the earlier model to compare it to. We liked the older model, but the 2002 is much improved.

2002 Explorer Pros/Cons
By Wayne on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford did a great job on the 2002 Explorer Limited. I made a mistake and ordered it without the running boards. It is difficult for shorter people to get in and out of. The other poor feature is the seats. The lumbar support is wimpy. When I sat in it at the dealership, I believed the lumbar support to be adequate, however after driving it on a long car trip Ford should have increased the amount of lumbar support. Other than these two minor items, it is a great vehicle with no defects of any kind.