Used 2002 Ford Explorer Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Do Not Purchase
By susanconn

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but trouble since we purchased it. The transmission has been rebuilt, wheel bearings replaced, and now the o/d off light is blinking, the service engine light is on and the ABS warning light is on. Apparently the o/d off light blinking means our transmission is not functioning properly again.

Extremely reliable
By robt

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car new and have had VERY few problems. Computer went out at 130,000. Bearings could stand to be replaced now (still on original set), I change the oil myself with high grade (purple magic) oil and 10K filter regularly at every 10K miles. Changed differential and coolant for first time last week. I have never serviced the sealed transmission on a mechanics advice. What more can I say. I couldn't kill this thing if i wanted. I would take it to Alaska tomorrow.

Favorite Features

Climate control, storage area, fold down rear seats, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Because the car last so damn long I wish they had made the driver seat a bit more comfortable.

Good value for the price
By bcamp55

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car has performed well with very little service issues other than the computer going out at 135K ($1,400). Other than tires, one brake change, and oil, I have put no money into this car considering I have almost 150,000 miles on it. I would feel quite confident driving it to Alaska today if I needed to.

Favorite Features

Styling, internal features, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

I have the V8 so I don't feel it's too fair to complain about mileage but I think it could get a bit better.

A Fun to Drive and Satisfying Ride
By Matthew

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Explorer for almost two years now and I absolutely love to drive it! My Explorer has the 4.6 liter V-8 and I would definitely say that it is powerful as well as useful for passing slow cars. Some of the reasons why I bought my Explorer were that I liked the plush leather interior, the two tone paint oxford white (body) and silver (trim), and the premium sound system that included a subwoofer. I am very satisfied with my Ford Explorer and would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a midsize SUV.

Favorite Features

Premium sound system. Heated seats. Leather interior. 4.6 liter V-8. Chrome badging.

Suggested Improvements

I would recommend that Ford improve the fuel efficiency of the 4.6 liter V- 8 by at least 25%. I would also recommend upping the power output on the 4.6 liter V-8 to somewhere around 285hp and 315lb-ft of torque to aid in heavy towing.

Limited
By jvrunner

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Don't know if it as good as my 1996 (130,000 miles and very strong) but seems really solid with no trouble. If Ford could get its service together this would be the SUV to buy.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and interior (get the limited)

Suggested Improvements

None