2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
a follow up on a earlier post
By coloradobell on 05/09/13 15:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just finished our first winter with out 02 Ford Explorer. No problems. We are taking trip to NV in June. I went down to the dealership and had the transmission flushed and transmission housing oil changed. The cost for both was $299.00. When returned the mechanic noted that the engine was in excellent shape..he did say the coolant should be changed, and the right rear seal has small leak.if they do it 299.00.l hubby say he plans to changed coolant and oil same time before the trip. my husband also he will take of seal when we get back.. They also fixed the airbag wiring problem under the driver seat, that kept coming unplug when seat got moved up @ NO Charge! 64000 miles

Do NOT buy a 2002 Ford Explorer!!!
By joseph980 on 01/30/13 18:53 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2002 Ford Explorer is junk! Even Ford will not stand behind it. Lets see: New Transmission ($3k), new front and back timing tensioners ($2700), new wheel bearings ($400 each), new wheel springs ($400 each), new window regulators ($380 each), new back window ($800), new 4X4 module ($500), new fuel pump ($750), front suspenion things, work on the electrical system several times ($$), new O2 sensor, etc, etc. It's paid for but the problems started around 80K miles. Ford really made a POS. I know I am forgetting some repairs, there were too many. Quality is NOT job #1 at Ford. Time to buy foreign.

moving on up from 81 chevy blazer,first luxury car
By coloradobell on 10/16/12 14:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we just brought our explorer from dearship, its only had 58000 mile on the engine. By looking at you would think it just came off the assembly line. We love it. This are first luxury suv in twenty five years of marriage. I am married to retired car parts salesman and he didn't say one word about the cost of parts for explorer. Believe me first time ever!! Every other suv I thought about buying never ending. My husband now refuses to drive the old chevy which we still have.Hes in love with our car. its is gas hog, but after driving uncomfortble suv for nearly 15 years. The trade up was well worth it. Now I know we have dependable car going over colorado winter passes

Excellent SUV for family travel
By skarland on 09/23/12 18:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. I bought in 2010 with 96,000 miles. Now it has 125,000 miles. Things I have done: brakes, a set of new tires, regular motorcraft oil change every 3k miles. No major repair. For people complains the transmission problems, it's better to customize it with an external ATF filter and extra big ATF cooler. You should check the ATF level regularly and also its temperature (I also add a temp gauge). Because ford put a sealed transmission with this SUV, there is no way for regular person to check the ATF fluid level. With all these done, you won't have a failed transmission. Recently I drove this car from Austin Texas all the way to Buffalo NY, and back to Austin, never failed.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT - WEIRD EXPENSIVE REPAIRS!
By prazb2jc on 03/15/12 19:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used in 2004. Clear CarFax, 1-owner, under 50,000 miles. 2 mths later Oil Leak, output seal leaking, replaced seal. In '06, replace leaking axle seals, May '07 loose front driver's side wheel bearings, rear noise inspected on lift, differential removed to find cause, replaced both front wheel bearings; noise STILL there. June '07 vibration & noise, remove rear differential, disassemble, left carrier bearing and cup failed, discoloration of bearing, replaced pinion & carrier bearings & cups, replace axle support bearings and seals, replace pinion seal, replace left rear wheel bearing, replace speed sensors, just tip of the iceberg repair list. Not worth it - horrible riding!

2002 Ford Explorer xlt
By stevieray573 on 02/09/12 12:18 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used 3 years ago. Currently has 115,000 miles on it. two years ago, rear differential started to whine (very common problem on this vehicle). I was told by several sources that the rear will last anywhere from 1,ooo to 1o,ooo miles and will cost a few grand to replace. Two windows died during the past winter (one was the motor, the other was the track). This vehicle will coat alot to maintain. If you can get over the rear differential problem, it is a good vehicle that will get you anywhere (I have taken it off road a few times, and the snow & ice of PA has never stopped me). Also, the little problems seem to add up alot!

My Baby (a 2002) has over 200,000 miles!
By nikkio on 10/27/11 12:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to tell you .. this is a reliable family vehicle! I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 (4x4). We have the third seat. We purchased it in 2002 with about 18K miles on it. I am a mother of 3 & 5'10". I have total confidence in this vehicle! You will always have slight issues with vehicles but, this vehicle held out for many years! I have over 200,000 miles and have only done the following: - basic tune ups - brakes -oil changes every 3,000 miles (Motorcraft synthetic blend) - all four wheel barrings (But at 200,000 miles!) - Replaced the lower housing unit - it started to overheat (at 200,000 miles!) I'm getting a new truck after the holidays and will be getting a new Ford Explorer!

2002 Ford Explore Limited 4.6L V8
By carguy03 on 07/09/11 20:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle in October 2010, and really liked it, but after I drove it for a while, I realized that I didn't have enough leg room, I'm 6'4". The Explorer had a lot of power, and would get you where you needed to go!

Great until it hit 100k miles!
By chase2634 on 06/09/11 15:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought mine used in 2004 with around 30k miles. Aside from general maintenance this vehicle was great until it 100k miles. Wheel bearings, cracked rear panel out of the blue due to design flaw and now at 150k miles the transmission is on the way out. Just got the dreaded blinking over drive light and found out my new trans will cost about 2k.

BIG time TRANNY issues/Bearings also
By tracydeech on 04/28/11 07:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine was a demo when I bought with few miles on. Absolutely loved it for the first 6 years. 09 is or 08 is when I saw problems. The heat/AC went out. And then the wheel bearing started going (every 6-8 months one would need fixed) It has around 120k miles on it. Tranny died 3 weeks ago!-and on top of that 2 more wheel bearings need fixed on it plus tie rods. AND it is a gas guzzler! Its paid off but it is still costing me lots to keep it! So I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with my explorer. Goes GREAT in snow(only reason why I would consider keeping).I'm going for a more economical vehicle now.