Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

The Blue Coach
By Honest review guy

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the 02 in 04 with 17k on it. It is now 2015 and I have 110,000 miles on it. I have had a couple of recalls that were fixed, but didn't seem too serious. I have always changed the oil at about 5k intervals and it still runs smooth and great. In Oct. 2014< i had to have the transmission rebuilt. The problem occurred suddenly: Please do research about this because there is too much to say. Ford needs to works on this and hopefully they have for newer models. And it was 3,000 bucks to rebuild it at a Ford dealership. I still lack confidence in the fact that this problem will arrive in the future out of nowhere. I must mention that there was at least a 3 month waiting list for a new transmission if that gives the answer away for this vehicle. I just hope that I will get another 100,00 miles from the rebuilt transmission. The interior is just fine, comfortable, and fairly rugged. I must admit that I really love this vehicle because it drives so well and does excellent in the Colorado snow. If I go to 200,00 miles without any tranny problems I would say that this was the best bag for the buck. And I plan to do just that if I can. Overall, though, this is a great Four wheel drive vehicle that's been very reliable in every way except for the transmission issue.

By coloradobell1

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

no problems. New tires this years but that given. 3 Colorado winters 5 passes no problems. We take our Explorer in every June for yearly its oils, transmission changes. We just brought small camping trailer and you can't even tell you towing the thing. heading up Yellowstone next summer. can't wait. 58000 to start, now 88000. In 27 years of marriage its still best car hubby & I have owned.

room, height of explorer, heating & cooling system, nice padded seats, cup holder in the rear, everything

none

184,000 miles and doing GREAT
By benzcrazy1

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned this car since 2004. Bought with 45k miles, have right at 184k miles on it now and is still driven daily. It has never left me stranded. Decent gas mileage for an older SUV, keep it serviced at the Ford dealership and have had to put the usual front hubs and upper contol arms on it, which they are known for but aside from that, just routine maintenance. Great looking, relaible and reasonable cost to own!

Can haul anything and go anywhere. Very reliable and love the exterior key pad to unlock the doors, very nice to have when I go to the track for a run, I can lock the keys inside and go!

I have gone through 3 sets of front hubs and 2 sets of rear wheel bearings. The black pillar trim pieces on the exterior peeling eventhough I keep it in the garage and waxed. The rear hatch panel cracked, got it fixed under warranty and it is cracked again! But other than that its GREAT!

a follow up on a earlier post
By coloradobell

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just finished our first winter with out 02 Ford Explorer. No problems. We are taking trip to NV in June. I went down to the dealership and had the transmission flushed and transmission housing oil changed. The cost for both was $299.00. When returned the mechanic noted that the engine was in excellent shape..he did say the coolant should be changed, and the right rear seal has small leak.if they do it 299.00.l hubby say he plans to changed coolant and oil same time before the trip. my husband also he will take of seal when we get back.. They also fixed the airbag wiring problem under the driver seat, that kept coming unplug when seat got moved up @ NO Charge! 64000 miles

everything!!

fix the short wire for airbag under the drive seat!!

Do NOT buy a 2002 Ford Explorer!!!
By joseph980

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2002 Ford Explorer is junk! Even Ford will not stand behind it. Lets see: New Transmission ($3k), new front and back timing tensioners ($2700), new wheel bearings ($400 each), new wheel springs ($400 each), new window regulators ($380 each), new back window ($800), new 4X4 module ($500), new fuel pump ($750), front suspenion things, work on the electrical system several times ($$), new O2 sensor, etc, etc. It's paid for but the problems started around 80K miles. Ford really made a POS. I know I am forgetting some repairs, there were too many. Quality is NOT job #1 at Ford. Time to buy foreign.

• SUV