Used 2002 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

184,000 miles and doing GREAT
By benzcrazy1

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned this car since 2004. Bought with 45k miles, have right at 184k miles on it now and is still driven daily. It has never left me stranded. Decent gas mileage for an older SUV, keep it serviced at the Ford dealership and have had to put the usual front hubs and upper contol arms on it, which they are known for but aside from that, just routine maintenance. Great looking, relaible and reasonable cost to own!

Can haul anything and go anywhere. Very reliable and love the exterior key pad to unlock the doors, very nice to have when I go to the track for a run, I can lock the keys inside and go!

I have gone through 3 sets of front hubs and 2 sets of rear wheel bearings. The black pillar trim pieces on the exterior peeling eventhough I keep it in the garage and waxed. The rear hatch panel cracked, got it fixed under warranty and it is cracked again! But other than that its GREAT!

a follow up on a earlier post
By coloradobell

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just finished our first winter with out 02 Ford Explorer. No problems. We are taking trip to NV in June. I went down to the dealership and had the transmission flushed and transmission housing oil changed. The cost for both was $299.00. When returned the mechanic noted that the engine was in excellent shape..he did say the coolant should be changed, and the right rear seal has small leak.if they do it 299.00.l hubby say he plans to changed coolant and oil same time before the trip. my husband also he will take of seal when we get back.. They also fixed the airbag wiring problem under the driver seat, that kept coming unplug when seat got moved up @ NO Charge! 64000 miles

everything!!

fix the short wire for airbag under the drive seat!!

Do NOT buy a 2002 Ford Explorer!!!
By joseph980

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2002 Ford Explorer is junk! Even Ford will not stand behind it. Lets see: New Transmission ($3k), new front and back timing tensioners ($2700), new wheel bearings ($400 each), new wheel springs ($400 each), new window regulators ($380 each), new back window ($800), new 4X4 module ($500), new fuel pump ($750), front suspenion things, work on the electrical system several times ($$), new O2 sensor, etc, etc. It's paid for but the problems started around 80K miles. Ford really made a POS. I know I am forgetting some repairs, there were too many. Quality is NOT job #1 at Ford. Time to buy foreign.

moving on up from 81 chevy blazer,first luxury car
By coloradobell

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we just brought our explorer from dearship, its only had 58000 mile on the engine. By looking at you would think it just came off the assembly line. We love it. This are first luxury suv in twenty five years of marriage. I am married to retired car parts salesman and he didn't say one word about the cost of parts for explorer. Believe me first time ever!! Every other suv I thought about buying never ending. My husband now refuses to drive the old chevy which we still have.Hes in love with our car. its is gas hog, but after driving uncomfortble suv for nearly 15 years. The trade up was well worth it. Now I know we have dependable car going over colorado winter passes

cloth seats, third row seat, muti air condition, big truck feeling when riding it. air bags, lots, lots of room. 4 wheel drive, love colors both inside and out. Just one previous owner before us. radio/cd/ speakers. car alarm system . When driving it make us feel we are on cloud nine..its sooo nice. we love our new car...

non yet

2002 Ford Explorer XLT - WEIRD EXPENSIVE REPAIRS!
By prazb2jc

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used in 2004. Clear CarFax, 1-owner, under 50,000 miles. 2 mths later Oil Leak, output seal leaking, replaced seal. In '06, replace leaking axle seals, May '07 loose front driver's side wheel bearings, rear noise inspected on lift, differential removed to find cause, replaced both front wheel bearings; noise STILL there. June '07 vibration & noise, remove rear differential, disassemble, left carrier bearing and cup failed, discoloration of bearing, replaced pinion & carrier bearings & cups, replace axle support bearings and seals, replace pinion seal, replace left rear wheel bearing, replace speed sensors, just tip of the iceberg repair list. Not worth it - horrible riding!