2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
184,000 miles and doing GREAT
By benzcrazy1 on 10/16/14 17:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned this car since 2004. Bought with 45k miles, have right at 184k miles on it now and is still driven daily. It has never left me stranded. Decent gas mileage for an older SUV, keep it serviced at the Ford dealership and have had to put the usual front hubs and upper contol arms on it, which they are known for but aside from that, just routine maintenance. Great looking, relaible and reasonable cost to own!

a follow up on a earlier post
By coloradobell on 05/09/13 15:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just finished our first winter with out 02 Ford Explorer. No problems. We are taking trip to NV in June. I went down to the dealership and had the transmission flushed and transmission housing oil changed. The cost for both was $299.00. When returned the mechanic noted that the engine was in excellent shape..he did say the coolant should be changed, and the right rear seal has small leak.if they do it 299.00.l hubby say he plans to changed coolant and oil same time before the trip. my husband also he will take of seal when we get back.. They also fixed the airbag wiring problem under the driver seat, that kept coming unplug when seat got moved up @ NO Charge! 64000 miles

Do NOT buy a 2002 Ford Explorer!!!
By joseph980 on 01/30/13 18:53 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2002 Ford Explorer is junk! Even Ford will not stand behind it. Lets see: New Transmission ($3k), new front and back timing tensioners ($2700), new wheel bearings ($400 each), new wheel springs ($400 each), new window regulators ($380 each), new back window ($800), new 4X4 module ($500), new fuel pump ($750), front suspenion things, work on the electrical system several times ($$), new O2 sensor, etc, etc. It's paid for but the problems started around 80K miles. Ford really made a POS. I know I am forgetting some repairs, there were too many. Quality is NOT job #1 at Ford. Time to buy foreign.

moving on up from 81 chevy blazer,first luxury car
By coloradobell on 10/16/12 14:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we just brought our explorer from dearship, its only had 58000 mile on the engine. By looking at you would think it just came off the assembly line. We love it. This are first luxury suv in twenty five years of marriage. I am married to retired car parts salesman and he didn't say one word about the cost of parts for explorer. Believe me first time ever!! Every other suv I thought about buying never ending. My husband now refuses to drive the old chevy which we still have.Hes in love with our car. its is gas hog, but after driving uncomfortble suv for nearly 15 years. The trade up was well worth it. Now I know we have dependable car going over colorado winter passes

2002 Ford Explorer XLT - WEIRD EXPENSIVE REPAIRS!
By prazb2jc on 03/15/12 19:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used in 2004. Clear CarFax, 1-owner, under 50,000 miles. 2 mths later Oil Leak, output seal leaking, replaced seal. In '06, replace leaking axle seals, May '07 loose front driver's side wheel bearings, rear noise inspected on lift, differential removed to find cause, replaced both front wheel bearings; noise STILL there. June '07 vibration & noise, remove rear differential, disassemble, left carrier bearing and cup failed, discoloration of bearing, replaced pinion & carrier bearings & cups, replace axle support bearings and seals, replace pinion seal, replace left rear wheel bearing, replace speed sensors, just tip of the iceberg repair list. Not worth it - horrible riding!

2002 Ford Explorer xlt
By stevieray573 on 02/09/12 12:18 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used 3 years ago. Currently has 115,000 miles on it. two years ago, rear differential started to whine (very common problem on this vehicle). I was told by several sources that the rear will last anywhere from 1,ooo to 1o,ooo miles and will cost a few grand to replace. Two windows died during the past winter (one was the motor, the other was the track). This vehicle will coat alot to maintain. If you can get over the rear differential problem, it is a good vehicle that will get you anywhere (I have taken it off road a few times, and the snow & ice of PA has never stopped me). Also, the little problems seem to add up alot!

My Baby (a 2002) has over 200,000 miles!
By nikkio on 10/27/11 12:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to tell you .. this is a reliable family vehicle! I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 (4x4). We have the third seat. We purchased it in 2002 with about 18K miles on it. I am a mother of 3 & 5'10". I have total confidence in this vehicle! You will always have slight issues with vehicles but, this vehicle held out for many years! I have over 200,000 miles and have only done the following: - basic tune ups - brakes -oil changes every 3,000 miles (Motorcraft synthetic blend) - all four wheel barrings (But at 200,000 miles!) - Replaced the lower housing unit - it started to overheat (at 200,000 miles!) I'm getting a new truck after the holidays and will be getting a new Ford Explorer!

Great until it hit 100k miles!
By chase2634 on 06/09/11 15:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought mine used in 2004 with around 30k miles. Aside from general maintenance this vehicle was great until it 100k miles. Wheel bearings, cracked rear panel out of the blue due to design flaw and now at 150k miles the transmission is on the way out. Just got the dreaded blinking over drive light and found out my new trans will cost about 2k.

good in formula bad in practice
By tompnoid on 03/29/11 09:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford has built a truck with all wheel drive to help with horse power and grip when riding on wet roads awesome right?? no... a great idea in a lab isnt always practical in real life mine has 89k on it and needs a new transmission i went to a shop the other day and asked a guy about price said i have a 2002 ford explorer he goes wait look over there see all those boxes those are transmissions for 2002 ford explorers. you cannot build a full time 4 wheel drive vehicle that is this heavy and have only a 4.0 l v6 powerplant. this would of been a great vehicle with better gas milage and no trannsmission issues had they only put in a button to let u disengage the 4 wheel drive.

Only had two problems
By only one problem on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV. love the 4x4. use it all the time. Only had 2 problems. 1) Passenger side external rear wheel bearing went out. $400 fix. 2) Brake pedal position sensor. $200 fix. No problems with tranny. I do pull a 1000 pound utility trailer a few times a month. I spend the time and money to have all maintenance done on schedule. I have about 117,000 miles on my 2002 explorer xlt. Take care of it and it will take care of you.