Used 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Excellent SUV for family travel
By skarland

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. I bought in 2010 with 96,000 miles. Now it has 125,000 miles. Things I have done: brakes, a set of new tires, regular motorcraft oil change every 3k miles. No major repair. For people complains the transmission problems, it's better to customize it with an external ATF filter and extra big ATF cooler. You should check the ATF level regularly and also its temperature (I also add a temp gauge). Because ford put a sealed transmission with this SUV, there is no way for regular person to check the ATF fluid level. With all these done, you won't have a failed transmission. Recently I drove this car from Austin Texas all the way to Buffalo NY, and back to Austin, never failed.

Last Ford I will ever buy
By luvencl

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven Fords all my life but this 2002 is the worse experience I have ever had. First to go was the rear AC, kept getting a click noise. Had it replaced under warranty, but then it went bad again just after the warranty ran out. Then had stereo also go bad. CD player got stuck, then 2 months later, volume would just start to get loud with no control touching. Master brake cylinder replaced at 42,000, and then the oxygen sensor, door trim @ same time. Then one very cold morning, I go to my car and notice a huge crack in the hatch below glass. I called the police because I thought someone tried to break into my SUV. Found later that others have the same problem. I am done with Ford!

Great sound, love the keyless entry.

Provide support for massive quantities of people that are reporting the crack in the hatch. Was told nothing can be done, you are out of warranty.. Bad choice! Ford is no more on my list. Need better trim, sun fades away too soon. Door trim falls apart too soon.

Biggest Mistake
By Biggest Regret

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved exterior so much compulsive buy. Biggest Mistake I ever made. Friends had been driving Fords for years no problem. mine Blew spark plugs. Dealer wanted 3000 to replace heads. Luckily private mechanic repaired for 800. Only prob, it kept happening. 3 of 8 cylinders blew over a year so in all 2400. Trans problems too. I have to say it never stranded me and I put 147000 on it in 3 yrs. With blown spark plug engine ran and got me to safety.Replaced rear Bearings, and Brakes froze in "applied" position. This warped rotor, melted brake lines, and ruined pads. 700 in repairs. A PLUS though after going offroad and air borne into small river (knee deep in water upon exit)it never tried to flip

V8 Power was awesome. Interior was very comfortable as I drove it cross country 6 times in one year. Very attractive exterior, hell, thats why I bought. Loved that it not only had sterio control but also climate control on steering wheel.

May engine and trans improvements. Mechanic later told me this was just a bad year for the explorer. If it hadn't been for the year of 5000 in repairs I would have loved to have kept this vehicle for a LONG time.

Another bad Ford
By odd-job

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer V8 Explorer, my second Explorer. Previous one was a 1997, and that one was much better. Ford came out with a new Explorer in 2002 that was much larger, more steady, but in my opinion, much more problematic. My transmission was replaced at 95k miles, the radiator was replaced at 90k miles, the car has overheated multiple times and left me stranded on the side of the road, the 6 disc in dash CD player sticks all the time and gets jammed, the transmission still slips, the rear seatbelts flap really loudly when the front windows are down, the driver's window motor has slowed down, the air conditioning is spotty, and the heater takes about 10 minutes to warm.

More space, stereo and AC controls on the steering wheel, more smooth ride, and the 3rd row seats/bench in back is convenient.

Improve the gas mileage: my V8 gets about 15 miles to the gallon. Use less plastic on the interior. The fake wood trim in the Eddie Bauer looks too fake. Design the seatbelts to hang so they don't flap loudly when the windows are down. Build better transmissions. Make the heater work better.

Design flaws apparent
By Ravenayr

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At 2 months we replaced the CD player which quit, then it was the ignition fell out of the steering column onto the floor, the master control for the power windows on the driver side caught fire, and the transmission and various sensors gone at 46000 miles, very disappointed in the overall reliability of this vehicle rearend and bearing are next and this vehicle though equipped for towing has never towed a thing, all miles are highway with some mountain driving which it did not handle in Rocky Mtns in summer, quit for lean fuel mix.

Controls for climate, music and fan in the steering column, also cruise control. two way sunroof, large cargo and head room. V-6 does get great gas mileage and has plenty of zip early on in the cars life, later it is sluggish, about after 40,000 miles

Better plastic, better yet for this model, wood. Hard to crack windows and not get alot of rain into the interior. Build a better power train and improve the engine performance.