2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Excellent SUV for family travel
By skarland on 09/23/12 18:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. I bought in 2010 with 96,000 miles. Now it has 125,000 miles. Things I have done: brakes, a set of new tires, regular motorcraft oil change every 3k miles. No major repair. For people complains the transmission problems, it's better to customize it with an external ATF filter and extra big ATF cooler. You should check the ATF level regularly and also its temperature (I also add a temp gauge). Because ford put a sealed transmission with this SUV, there is no way for regular person to check the ATF fluid level. With all these done, you won't have a failed transmission. Recently I drove this car from Austin Texas all the way to Buffalo NY, and back to Austin, never failed.

Last Ford I will ever buy
By luvencl on 11/17/09 04:16 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven Fords all my life but this 2002 is the worse experience I have ever had. First to go was the rear AC, kept getting a click noise. Had it replaced under warranty, but then it went bad again just after the warranty ran out. Then had stereo also go bad. CD player got stuck, then 2 months later, volume would just start to get loud with no control touching. Master brake cylinder replaced at 42,000, and then the oxygen sensor, door trim @ same time. Then one very cold morning, I go to my car and notice a huge crack in the hatch below glass. I called the police because I thought someone tried to break into my SUV. Found later that others have the same problem. I am done with Ford!

Biggest Mistake
By Biggest Regret on 08/13/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved exterior so much compulsive buy. Biggest Mistake I ever made. Friends had been driving Fords for years no problem. mine Blew spark plugs. Dealer wanted 3000 to replace heads. Luckily private mechanic repaired for 800. Only prob, it kept happening. 3 of 8 cylinders blew over a year so in all 2400. Trans problems too. I have to say it never stranded me and I put 147000 on it in 3 yrs. With blown spark plug engine ran and got me to safety.Replaced rear Bearings, and Brakes froze in "applied" position. This warped rotor, melted brake lines, and ruined pads. 700 in repairs. A PLUS though after going offroad and air borne into small river (knee deep in water upon exit)it never tried to flip

Another bad Ford
By odd-job on 06/12/08 14:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer V8 Explorer, my second Explorer. Previous one was a 1997, and that one was much better. Ford came out with a new Explorer in 2002 that was much larger, more steady, but in my opinion, much more problematic. My transmission was replaced at 95k miles, the radiator was replaced at 90k miles, the car has overheated multiple times and left me stranded on the side of the road, the 6 disc in dash CD player sticks all the time and gets jammed, the transmission still slips, the rear seatbelts flap really loudly when the front windows are down, the driver's window motor has slowed down, the air conditioning is spotty, and the heater takes about 10 minutes to warm.

Design flaws apparent
By Ravenayr on 09/07/07 19:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At 2 months we replaced the CD player which quit, then it was the ignition fell out of the steering column onto the floor, the master control for the power windows on the driver side caught fire, and the transmission and various sensors gone at 46000 miles, very disappointed in the overall reliability of this vehicle rearend and bearing are next and this vehicle though equipped for towing has never towed a thing, all miles are highway with some mountain driving which it did not handle in Rocky Mtns in summer, quit for lean fuel mix.

Thanks for the Memories
By Higgy on 07/24/07 16:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2002. I have 64000 miles and have had the follow problems: rebuilt transmission twice, two power window motors replaced, two cracks on the back panel of the tailgate, airbag sensors not working properly, cruise dontrol stoped working, paint on the plastic panels between the doors coming off, rear end rebuilt. Currently making noise in the rear end going 45 to 55 miles per hour. Sunroof rattles.

Great car
By Bill Carter on 06/12/07 07:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2003 with 19,000 miles on it. Knock on wood but it has been perfect! No problems with anything. I went to test drive a 2007 Tahoe yesterday and returned feeling like my Explorer was much easier to drive and will not be buying that Tahoe. I have absolutely no allegience to Ford or Chevy or anyone (my wife drives a BMW) but this car has been as trouble-free as my Honda was.

Transmission problems
By lambdds1 on 09/08/06 15:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had numerous problems with transmission.

Think Twice
By Kevin Kolff on 09/07/05 17:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned three Explorers since 1991 and I can guarantee this will be my last Ford Vehicle. I have had so many problems with my 2002 Explorer, where do I start. AC went out at 38K, tranny replaced at 60K, rear tailgate plastic strip cracked at 39K, clear coat on all plastic parts gone, interior door material coming unglued, power steering pump replaced 71K, power lock motor replaced 66K. These are only the major problems; the list of the smaller problems is too long to list.

Ford Help!
By ober1 on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this E.B. Explorer 6/2002, for my wife who only drives it to the office and back home. 9/04 it only has 16500 miles. Many under warranty problems such as window motor, water pump, belt tentioner, rear lift gate split down the middle,rear air conditoner problems, hood paint bubbling up,leaking right rear shock,defective rear compartment latch, all outside plastic (black) molding had to be replaced due to pealing, third brake light defective. I hope that F.M.C. opens their eyes to the many problems. Other than the above problems my wife loves her Ford Explorer and will not let me trade it in.