2001 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Explorer, great truck, poor ow

2001 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Explorer, great truck, poor owners
By Jeff C on

2001 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

Between my father and I, this would be the fourth Explorer in the family and they have never failed us. But we do the maintenance! The transmission failure is due to contaminated fluid plugging up the ECT and the transmission does not need to be replaced for the shift flair! Do your research. I broke my back and find this vehicle comfortable for long trips and am pleased with the 19 mpg average. The quality of the interior is first rate and conveniently laid out. The ride is a little stiff but is quiet and poor weather driving is excellent. The HVAC cools and heats the interior well, but can be slow to warm on cold days. If you do the maintenance, yours should run well as well.

The quality and comfort of the interior. Lots of room as well. Cruises down the road well and is very quiet. Great gas mileage for an SUV. Always gets through the snow well and is very reliable. Mine looks brands new and appears nicer than my wife's 08 Civic!

The ride can be choppy. Good quality shocks help tremendously. Takes a while on a cold day to warm up, so no heat. When using the combined floor and vent control for the HVAC, the A/C automatically turns on. Thought that was a wierd design.