2001 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
High Use Explorer
By theorydoc on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

After 2 years 50000 miles, towing a 3500 lb boat every weekend and moving dogs and kids, this truck has been great. The only repair has been a computer idle switch. Gas miliage around the city is 13 while highway is 20 mpg. I'm 6'1" and this truck has plenty of room and comfortable thanks to the power seats.

Fixing it all the time
By guy from NH on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very comfortable, but has been in the shop over 10 times; everything from the steering rack to sensors. Will never buy one again. Extended warranty has turned out to be worth it with this vehicle!!! Nobody should have to be paying a hefty car payment and hefty repair bills at the same time. Actually had smoke pouring from the steering column once. The multi- function switch apparently melted!!!

Excellent All Around Vehicle
By Jon K. on 02/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new in March 2001 and we use it for traveling and pulling our boat. With 80,000 miles on it, it is still as tight as the day we bought it... I can't say that about my sisters GMC Jimmy that she bought at the same time! The Explorer is excellent in the snow and mud and will take almost anything you can throw at it. We use it to pull a 4,200 lb boat and trailer to lakes that are over 300+ miles away and have never had a single problem with it.

Good
By M@yahoo.com on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

GOOD GOOD GOOD,GOOD GOOD GOOD,GOOD GOOD GOOD,GOOD GOOD GOOD,GOOD GOOD GOOD,GOOD GOOD GOOD...oh yeah, its GREAT

The First Car I Bought
By mr007 on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car as soon as I got out of high school and I loved every minute of owning it. The car is very fun to drive and is designed very nicely. It does get thirsty at the puump, though.

As Capable for My Purposes as a Rover
By pprather on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Explorer has been an excellent automobile. Gas mileage leaves much to be desired. However, the ride is extremely comfortable. Much more so than my father's Mercury Mountaineer which is based on the same platform. Mine has the 18 inch wheels and the load levelling which I believe contributes to the much more comfortable ride.

01 Explorer Limited
By RDJames on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far this has been the best vehicle I have ever purchased. I had this vehicle almost 3 years and have only paid for oil changes and othe scheduled maintenence.I have the V6 which I get 19.8 MPGs riding around the Orlando suburbs. The only problems I have is on long trips the CD player kicks out the CD and displays "to hot" after only 3 hours of traveling. The other problem delt with water seeping in through the back window, the seal was replaced under warrenty, and of course I got 5 new tires after only 5000 miles due to the recall of16 inch firestones.

Great little SUV
By Mulan on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle from a dealership at the private party value. I'm extremely pleased with all aspects of the SUV.

Wouldn't buy another Explorer
By dmlj on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I also have a 1996. It is a much better vehicle than the 2001. The 2001 has been in the shop at least 6 times since October. Stalling problem, engine knock, brakes, and overheating. Only 40,000 miles on it - time to get rid of it. Will try foriegn next time!

Great Truck
By fsuphi1430 on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

Just got traded in a mustand and go this truck off a lease with 16000 miles. I love it so far, i have room to do everything. Rides really well, and all the extra options with it are great. I don't know if i would like an xlt but the eddie bauer package makes it really worth it.