Used 2001 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Excellent SUV for the bucks
By 3 time Bronco man

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this at 10,000 miles. Now have 135,000 and still running strong. Pulls my 21 ft boat easily. Excellent mileage if you are not a lead foot. Best was 23 MPG but avg is about 19. Owned a Bronco II, then an Eddie Bauer Explorer. Very happy with this XLT as well. Problem is the newer ones do nothing for me plus a drop in gas mileage. Unfortunately cannot pull the boat forever with that many miles. Beside brakes only needed front wheel bearings. Spent so much time driving that I need a comfortable ride which this gives. This will be very hard to eventually give up.

Favorite Features

Nice ride, decent gas milage, love the keyless entry, nice turning radius. Very dependable, good CD stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Not much, a bit small upfront. Hated that my daughetr can change the CD/radio from her back seat (she loved it).

Still Excellent
By Owner

2001 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I still love it even though it's 6 years old, and even though I now make more of a Lexus salary than Ford. Very reliable. In those 6 years it's been into the shop exactly once for new brake pads. Great for hauling and towing. I easily haul a 4,500 lb. boat, plus wife and two kids and associated stuff. Great fuel economy. Much better than the newer design.

Favorite Features

A zillion smart little consumer friendly features ranging from cup holders to the design of the roof rack. Most outstanding though, are reliability and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

Great car
By By Alex

2001 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great. I have had it for 5 years already. It looks great, it drives great but I think the car's favorite place is at the gas station.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry. The look.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy.

Love My Explorer
By Ford Fan

2001 Ford Explorer Limited AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this car under Ford's 'Certified Used' program. It looked brand new when I tested it. Driving it gave me the feeling that this was a solid, well built auto. I purchased the Limited because of all the features and options. It's a great value! In the four years I've had it I've only changed reasonable parts: ball joints and brakes. I had to replace the radio but with Ford's extended warranty I was covered. This warranty also paid for the ball joints. Otherwise the car runs quiet with the V8 and I take it on all my long trips. It's got everything!

Favorite Features

I love the rear climate control console with the secondary radio listening controls. Power moonroof is great, too. Radio system sounds rich due to the factory subwoofer mounted in the trunk area out of the way. I use the keyless entry system all the time.

Suggested Improvements

After repeated closing of the rear hatch over time the rear wiper motor bracket seems to bend out of shape and the wiper does not work as effectively. This can be bent back into position if you're so inclined. That could be beefed up a bit.

XLT is for Me
By FordFan

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Explorer brand new in 2001. At exactly the 5 year marker (to the day) I pushed it past 100,000 miles. Love it, Love it, Love it! Ford rebuilt the transmission after 6 months ownership and no issues thereafter. Extremely reliable and great for long drives. V6 saves lots of money over the V8 and has just as much bhp.

Favorite Features

Full air controls for rear seat, power windows have never slowed down, still drives like new and much more fuel friendly vs. other domestic SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

None.