2001 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Excellent SUV for the bucks
By 3 time Bronco man on 07/23/07 19:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this at 10,000 miles. Now have 135,000 and still running strong. Pulls my 21 ft boat easily. Excellent mileage if you are not a lead foot. Best was 23 MPG but avg is about 19. Owned a Bronco II, then an Eddie Bauer Explorer. Very happy with this XLT as well. Problem is the newer ones do nothing for me plus a drop in gas mileage. Unfortunately cannot pull the boat forever with that many miles. Beside brakes only needed front wheel bearings. Spent so much time driving that I need a comfortable ride which this gives. This will be very hard to eventually give up.

Still Excellent
By Owner on 04/16/07 10:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I still love it even though it's 6 years old, and even though I now make more of a Lexus salary than Ford. Very reliable. In those 6 years it's been into the shop exactly once for new brake pads. Great for hauling and towing. I easily haul a 4,500 lb. boat, plus wife and two kids and associated stuff. Great fuel economy. Much better than the newer design.

Great car
By By Alex on 02/19/07 06:34 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great. I have had it for 5 years already. It looks great, it drives great but I think the car's favorite place is at the gas station.

Love My Explorer
By Ford Fan on 09/02/06 07:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this car under Ford's 'Certified Used' program. It looked brand new when I tested it. Driving it gave me the feeling that this was a solid, well built auto. I purchased the Limited because of all the features and options. It's a great value! In the four years I've had it I've only changed reasonable parts: ball joints and brakes. I had to replace the radio but with Ford's extended warranty I was covered. This warranty also paid for the ball joints. Otherwise the car runs quiet with the V8 and I take it on all my long trips. It's got everything!

XLT is for Me
By FordFan on 07/19/06 14:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Explorer brand new in 2001. At exactly the 5 year marker (to the day) I pushed it past 100,000 miles. Love it, Love it, Love it! Ford rebuilt the transmission after 6 months ownership and no issues thereafter. Extremely reliable and great for long drives. V6 saves lots of money over the V8 and has just as much bhp.

XLT
By J Esparza on 10/23/05 12:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Over all my experience is very good so far. I love the clearance, especially on construction sites. I'm finding out that the replacing the IAC because it is stuck due to carbon build up is a is a common problem. It will cause the car not to start.

2001 Ford Explorer Ltd.
By Stephanie on 07/31/05 13:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Explorer Ltd. but am just ready for a newer model vehicle. I test drove the 2005 Explorer Ltd. and was not very impressed. I think Ford used cheaper materials in the interior construction of the 2005 model, as my interior is much nicer in my opinion. The engines are pretty much the same and I have never (knock on wood) had a major mechanical problem or been stranded on the side of the road with my 2001. The only minor thing was a hose broke. It cost me around $70. I do however keep up on the maintenance.

'01 Explorer XLT 4WD--my review
By billapex on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My '01 Explorer has the Sport Package, which I think makes the truck look nice and beefy. The 4.0 liter V6 is pretty powerful, although with the towing package's 4.10 rear gears, mileage isn't spectacular. The 5-speed automatic does compensate well, though. I've towed 5,500lb. worth of 23' enclosed trailer with a Dodge Viper inside, and it did admirably well for a V6. Interior has held up well except for a smally squeak in the center console's CD changer area. We only had one recall, and that was for the driver's side seat mechanism. I've been impressed with the Explorer enough to purchase it when it came off lease.

Never repeat buy this car
By bethj on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1995 ford explorer xlt, never had a problem. I have had this explorer for 1 year and have had nothing but trouble. Bought it with 27000 miles on it and had it at the dealer 6 times before the warranty ran out. On one visit had the idle sensor replaced and we just had to replace it again, at our expense. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN FORD!!!!!

Explorer review
By glang on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great Gas Milage for a SUV. 18mph on the hiway. Fun to drive in the snow. When 4wd on the fly kicks in on slippery conditions you feel it. A slight thomp. But besides that I really am happy with overall performace and comfort.