Used 2001 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I Love My Blue Baby
By Adgurl

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer new in 2001 -- started as a lease and I decided to keep. After 208000 miles I've never had any major problems, until now. Have to get the crankshaft pulley replaced. I plan to keep this car FOREVER. I love my Explorer.

Explorer, great truck, poor owners
By Jeff C

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

Between my father and I, this would be the fourth Explorer in the family and they have never failed us. But we do the maintenance! The transmission failure is due to contaminated fluid plugging up the ECT and the transmission does not need to be replaced for the shift flair! Do your research. I broke my back and find this vehicle comfortable for long trips and am pleased with the 19 mpg average. The quality of the interior is first rate and conveniently laid out. The ride is a little stiff but is quiet and poor weather driving is excellent. The HVAC cools and heats the interior well, but can be slow to warm on cold days. If you do the maintenance, yours should run well as well.

Favorite Features

The quality and comfort of the interior. Lots of room as well. Cruises down the road well and is very quiet. Great gas mileage for an SUV. Always gets through the snow well and is very reliable. Mine looks brands new and appears nicer than my wife's 08 Civic!

Suggested Improvements

The ride can be choppy. Good quality shocks help tremendously. Takes a while on a cold day to warm up, so no heat. When using the combined floor and vent control for the HVAC, the A/C automatically turns on. Thought that was a wierd design.

Expensive repair bills
By Ed

2001 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle used with 46k miles. In four years, drove 65k miles and had some major repair bills. Transmission replaced at 73k after 2-3 shift flare failures. Well known problem to Ford but they did not offer any help with the repair bill. Oil leaks at crankshaft pulley, front and rear differential pinons required seal replacement. Both front stabilizer links broke due to corrosion, known problem in earlier Fords but again no dealer support to replace. Rear end howling developed at 105k miles and required bearing replacements. Pulled a 1000lb utility trailer a few times so no major loads hauled. Overall definitely poor quality vehicle. Never again will I own a Ford.

Favorite Features

Rear air and radio controls. Fold down second seat gives large cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Transmissions and rear axles that last.

Good all the way around
By irongod

2001 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this used with about 90k on it now it's around 102k. It's red with tan interior. I have done a complete service on it as well as installed a k&n air filter. Will be installing a large stereo set-up. Explorers are great for that!

Favorite Features

Driver's seat is very inviting and stock sound system is strong. The 5.0 is strong yet fuel economy is low. I just gave the engine an overhaul and im still only getting 12-13 mpg

Suggested Improvements

More durable carpet, better MPG, and stock towing package

Reliable and has taken some abuse
By MBR

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle used in 2002. Now has 100,000 miles and have not had any seriously major problems. Have had to replace ball joints but I've run some heavy treaded Mud Tires for the past 2 years. It goes good in the mud and has ample ground clearance. Even though this is a great daily driver it is rugged enough to take you to some serious back woods adventures. Don't be afraid to get this vehicle off road.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, leather seats and on demand 4WD, rear climate controls

Suggested Improvements

Grease fittings on the front control arms. Had to replace at 95,000 miles and they arn't cheap.