2001 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
165,000 and running good.
By Fergus on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our this Exploder new and at 165,000 miles replaced the ball joints today. I replaced the thermostat at around 60,000, the brake pads around 110,000 and battery around 120,000. It has proven to be a very dependable vehicle. I have never seen it get less that 20 MPG and have seen it get as much as 29 MPG highway. I give some credit to Militec-1, as I have used it in all my vehicles since being introduced to it in 1988.

It's been surprisising_totally
By Bob on 12/02/09 13:11 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my EXP XLT new in 01. I have 181,000 and repairs have been minimal. Chnge the oil on time. FORD should have a loyalty program to get me into another FORD. With the economy buying a new car is difficult.

XLT is for Me
By FordFan on 07/19/06 14:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Explorer brand new in 2001. At exactly the 5 year marker (to the day) I pushed it past 100,000 miles. Love it, Love it, Love it! Ford rebuilt the transmission after 6 months ownership and no issues thereafter. Extremely reliable and great for long drives. V6 saves lots of money over the V8 and has just as much bhp.

XLT
By J Esparza on 10/23/05 12:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Over all my experience is very good so far. I love the clearance, especially on construction sites. I'm finding out that the replacing the IAC because it is stuck due to carbon build up is a is a common problem. It will cause the car not to start.

Never repeat buy this car
By bethj on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1995 ford explorer xlt, never had a problem. I have had this explorer for 1 year and have had nothing but trouble. Bought it with 27000 miles on it and had it at the dealer 6 times before the warranty ran out. On one visit had the idle sensor replaced and we just had to replace it again, at our expense. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN FORD!!!!!