Used 2001 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

165,000 and running good.
By Fergus

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our this Exploder new and at 165,000 miles replaced the ball joints today. I replaced the thermostat at around 60,000, the brake pads around 110,000 and battery around 120,000. It has proven to be a very dependable vehicle. I have never seen it get less that 20 MPG and have seen it get as much as 29 MPG highway. I give some credit to Militec-1, as I have used it in all my vehicles since being introduced to it in 1988.

Mileage and dependability are my favorite features. I do love the auto headlamps and auto-dimming rear view mirror as well.

Factory paint, starting to see some metal and rust showing. Partly my fault due to the lack of waxing; but, would expect better as we do not live on the coast.

It's been surprisising_totally
By Bob

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my EXP XLT new in 01. I have 181,000 and repairs have been minimal. Chnge the oil on time. FORD should have a loyalty program to get me into another FORD. With the economy buying a new car is difficult.

XLT is for Me
By FordFan

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Explorer brand new in 2001. At exactly the 5 year marker (to the day) I pushed it past 100,000 miles. Love it, Love it, Love it! Ford rebuilt the transmission after 6 months ownership and no issues thereafter. Extremely reliable and great for long drives. V6 saves lots of money over the V8 and has just as much bhp.

Full air controls for rear seat, power windows have never slowed down, still drives like new and much more fuel friendly vs. other domestic SUVs.

None.

XLT
By J Esparza

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Over all my experience is very good so far. I love the clearance, especially on construction sites. I'm finding out that the replacing the IAC because it is stuck due to carbon build up is a is a common problem. It will cause the car not to start.

Leather seats & adjustable steering column.

Aftermarket cabin air filter kit. The new ones have it. I'm 5'-11" & the rear view mirror sometimes gets in the way.

Never repeat buy this car
By bethj

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1995 ford explorer xlt, never had a problem. I have had this explorer for 1 year and have had nothing but trouble. Bought it with 27000 miles on it and had it at the dealer 6 times before the warranty ran out. On one visit had the idle sensor replaced and we just had to replace it again, at our expense. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN FORD!!!!!

Rear air and CD

More leg room in back seat.