Used 2001 Ford Explorer Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2001 Ford Explorer Ltd.
By Stephanie

2001 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Explorer Ltd. but am just ready for a newer model vehicle. I test drove the 2005 Explorer Ltd. and was not very impressed. I think Ford used cheaper materials in the interior construction of the 2005 model, as my interior is much nicer in my opinion. The engines are pretty much the same and I have never (knock on wood) had a major mechanical problem or been stranded on the side of the road with my 2001. The only minor thing was a hose broke. It cost me around $70. I do however keep up on the maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't mind getting better gas mileage, but wouldn't we all?

01 Explorer Limited
By RDJames

2001 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far this has been the best vehicle I have ever purchased. I had this vehicle almost 3 years and have only paid for oil changes and othe scheduled maintenence.I have the V6 which I get 19.8 MPGs riding around the Orlando suburbs. The only problems I have is on long trips the CD player kicks out the CD and displays "to hot" after only 3 hours of traveling. The other problem delt with water seeping in through the back window, the seal was replaced under warrenty, and of course I got 5 new tires after only 5000 miles due to the recall of16 inch firestones.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, even in central florida when I get off at 1am its no fun seating on cold leather. And of course the memory seats just hit the key fob and the seat goes back to were I had it. And the auto-lights.

Suggested Improvements

A gear shift in the center console.