Used 2001 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Love it!
By allies

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first vehicle purchase. I've never been fond of Fords, but this vehicle definitely changed my opinion. I love how smoothly it handles, it's incredibly comfortable and I find the fuel economy to be quite well (averaging 17+ MPG in the city). I'm starting to run into some issues at 87,000 miles, all minor and relatively cheap fixes - but my biggest hassle was with the fuel pump. Finding a replacement was extremely difficult. Overall I think it's a great little SUV and definitely fits all my requirements for what I need. It's a comfortable, reliable ride, and has lots of hidey-holes where you can keep tool kits, travel bags and other knick-knacks hidden and out of the way.

Favorite Features

By far, the way the vehicle handles is its best feature. Very easy to maneuver and control and there's no need to have to retrain yourself from driving a smaller vehicle to this one. It turns just as nicely (if not better) than small cars and it's easy to navigate in narrow places.

Suggested Improvements

Replacement parts are a huge hassle with this vehicle. Everything I've needed either had to be ordered in, or I've had to do trial and error with things fitting, since the XLS has different parts than other Explorers of the '95-'00 and '02+ years.

165,000 and running good.
By Fergus

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our this Exploder new and at 165,000 miles replaced the ball joints today. I replaced the thermostat at around 60,000, the brake pads around 110,000 and battery around 120,000. It has proven to be a very dependable vehicle. I have never seen it get less that 20 MPG and have seen it get as much as 29 MPG highway. I give some credit to Militec-1, as I have used it in all my vehicles since being introduced to it in 1988.

Favorite Features

Mileage and dependability are my favorite features. I do love the auto headlamps and auto-dimming rear view mirror as well.

Suggested Improvements

Factory paint, starting to see some metal and rust showing. Partly my fault due to the lack of waxing; but, would expect better as we do not live on the coast.

trouble free
By Kaos_agent1

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought Dora (The Explorer) in 2004 with 40K miles on her. 4.0l V6. To date I have replaced the thermostat, both radiator hoses (innie and outie), brakes, serpentine belt and tires. She has never let me down and has 150k on her. The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, hands down. This is one of that last real SUVs - built on a truck chassis (Ranger platform). We lived in mountains of northern New Mexico and spent a lot of time boulder crawling on two-track roads along mountain ridges. Great 4X4 capability as well as highway capability. the ride is a bit bouncy, but I tamed it a bit when I put a set of bilstien shocks in place of the factory ones. The explorer is paid off and still alive

Favorite Features

Off road capability, driving lights, ride comfort

Suggested Improvements

better suspension... that's about it

How will I ever part with it
By Brian

2001 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased used in late 2002. Has 30k miles now it has 150K no major issues. This is my second one first a 1995 XLT. Our family is in the process of looking for a new ride and I don't know how we are going to part with this rig. It has been A++ all the way. I could go on and on with the love story. Not often some one still loves to drive a rig after they put over 100k miles on it.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, air ride, sun roof

Suggested Improvements

Could get metter MPG's

It's been surprisising_totally
By Bob

2001 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my EXP XLT new in 01. I have 181,000 and repairs have been minimal. Chnge the oil on time. FORD should have a loyalty program to get me into another FORD. With the economy buying a new car is difficult.