Used 2001 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Explorer, great truck, poor owners
By Jeff C

2001 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

Between my father and I, this would be the fourth Explorer in the family and they have never failed us. But we do the maintenance! The transmission failure is due to contaminated fluid plugging up the ECT and the transmission does not need to be replaced for the shift flair! Do your research. I broke my back and find this vehicle comfortable for long trips and am pleased with the 19 mpg average. The quality of the interior is first rate and conveniently laid out. The ride is a little stiff but is quiet and poor weather driving is excellent. The HVAC cools and heats the interior well, but can be slow to warm on cold days. If you do the maintenance, yours should run well as well.

Favorite Features

The quality and comfort of the interior. Lots of room as well. Cruises down the road well and is very quiet. Great gas mileage for an SUV. Always gets through the snow well and is very reliable. Mine looks brands new and appears nicer than my wife's 08 Civic!

Suggested Improvements

The ride can be choppy. Good quality shocks help tremendously. Takes a while on a cold day to warm up, so no heat. When using the combined floor and vent control for the HVAC, the A/C automatically turns on. Thought that was a wierd design.

High Use Explorer
By theorydoc

2001 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

After 2 years 50000 miles, towing a 3500 lb boat every weekend and moving dogs and kids, this truck has been great. The only repair has been a computer idle switch. Gas miliage around the city is 13 while highway is 20 mpg. I'm 6'1" and this truck has plenty of room and comfortable thanks to the power seats.

Favorite Features

AWD is a big help in the snow and pulling the boat in and out of the water.

Suggested Improvements

I am always a little concerned about the anti-lock brakes that seem to adjust all the wheels when only one is slipping.