2001 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Love it!
By allies on 02/14/13 20:36 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first vehicle purchase. I've never been fond of Fords, but this vehicle definitely changed my opinion. I love how smoothly it handles, it's incredibly comfortable and I find the fuel economy to be quite well (averaging 17+ MPG in the city). I'm starting to run into some issues at 87,000 miles, all minor and relatively cheap fixes - but my biggest hassle was with the fuel pump. Finding a replacement was extremely difficult. Overall I think it's a great little SUV and definitely fits all my requirements for what I need. It's a comfortable, reliable ride, and has lots of hidey-holes where you can keep tool kits, travel bags and other knick-knacks hidden and out of the way.

165,000 and running good.
By Fergus on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our this Exploder new and at 165,000 miles replaced the ball joints today. I replaced the thermostat at around 60,000, the brake pads around 110,000 and battery around 120,000. It has proven to be a very dependable vehicle. I have never seen it get less that 20 MPG and have seen it get as much as 29 MPG highway. I give some credit to Militec-1, as I have used it in all my vehicles since being introduced to it in 1988.

trouble free
By Kaos_agent1 on 01/27/10 21:45 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought Dora (The Explorer) in 2004 with 40K miles on her. 4.0l V6. To date I have replaced the thermostat, both radiator hoses (innie and outie), brakes, serpentine belt and tires. She has never let me down and has 150k on her. The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, hands down. This is one of that last real SUVs - built on a truck chassis (Ranger platform). We lived in mountains of northern New Mexico and spent a lot of time boulder crawling on two-track roads along mountain ridges. Great 4X4 capability as well as highway capability. the ride is a bit bouncy, but I tamed it a bit when I put a set of bilstien shocks in place of the factory ones. The explorer is paid off and still alive

How will I ever part with it
By Brian on 01/05/10 17:40 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased used in late 2002. Has 30k miles now it has 150K no major issues. This is my second one first a 1995 XLT. Our family is in the process of looking for a new ride and I don't know how we are going to part with this rig. It has been A++ all the way. I could go on and on with the love story. Not often some one still loves to drive a rig after they put over 100k miles on it.

It's been surprisising_totally
By Bob on 12/02/09 13:11 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my EXP XLT new in 01. I have 181,000 and repairs have been minimal. Chnge the oil on time. FORD should have a loyalty program to get me into another FORD. With the economy buying a new car is difficult.

I Love My Blue Baby
By Adgurl on 08/27/09 06:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer new in 2001 -- started as a lease and I decided to keep. After 208000 miles I've never had any major problems, until now. Have to get the crankshaft pulley replaced. I plan to keep this car FOREVER. I love my Explorer.

Explorer, great truck, poor owners
By Jeff C on 11/16/08 02:02 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

Between my father and I, this would be the fourth Explorer in the family and they have never failed us. But we do the maintenance! The transmission failure is due to contaminated fluid plugging up the ECT and the transmission does not need to be replaced for the shift flair! Do your research. I broke my back and find this vehicle comfortable for long trips and am pleased with the 19 mpg average. The quality of the interior is first rate and conveniently laid out. The ride is a little stiff but is quiet and poor weather driving is excellent. The HVAC cools and heats the interior well, but can be slow to warm on cold days. If you do the maintenance, yours should run well as well.

Expensive repair bills
By Ed on 09/15/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle used with 46k miles. In four years, drove 65k miles and had some major repair bills. Transmission replaced at 73k after 2-3 shift flare failures. Well known problem to Ford but they did not offer any help with the repair bill. Oil leaks at crankshaft pulley, front and rear differential pinons required seal replacement. Both front stabilizer links broke due to corrosion, known problem in earlier Fords but again no dealer support to replace. Rear end howling developed at 105k miles and required bearing replacements. Pulled a 1000lb utility trailer a few times so no major loads hauled. Overall definitely poor quality vehicle. Never again will I own a Ford.

Good all the way around
By irongod on 04/08/08 12:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this used with about 90k on it now it's around 102k. It's red with tan interior. I have done a complete service on it as well as installed a k&n air filter. Will be installing a large stereo set-up. Explorers are great for that!

Reliable and has taken some abuse
By MBR on 08/16/07 15:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle used in 2002. Now has 100,000 miles and have not had any seriously major problems. Have had to replace ball joints but I've run some heavy treaded Mud Tires for the past 2 years. It goes good in the mud and has ample ground clearance. Even though this is a great daily driver it is rugged enough to take you to some serious back woods adventures. Don't be afraid to get this vehicle off road.