Will always have one in my stable of vehicles
By johnnyg1015 on
2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD
I recently purchased a 2000 Eddie Bauer Edition to replace a 1998 XLT AWD model that I gave to my parents in their mid 60's. First let me say that unless you buy the 5.0 version, all bets are off with the engine. The ford 4.0 was marginal at best. The 5.0 saw duty in the Mustang, Crown Vic, Thunderbird, and host of other cars. The engine will last well over 250,000 miles if you just change the oil every 3000 miles. I am the 3rd owner of this vehicle and it rides almost brand new. It has 125,000 miles and the paint and leather are a solid 8 out of 10. The back up alarm, heated seats, 6 disc cd, and all the steering wheel controls work flawlessly.
Favorite Features
Back up parking sensors heated seats digital HVAC controls Steering wheel controls for HVAC/Radio/Cruise control 16" rims and tires voice message recorder on visor superb sound system with 6 cd changer JBL speakers keyless entry on door comes in very handy when you don't wanna carry keys and can lock them inside (beach, gym)
Suggested Improvements
These trucks as are most Ford trucks are notorious for tearing up ball joints and tie rod ends. They also seem to burn through hub bearings faster than any other truck Ive owned. The biggest plus is that 5.0 engine that seems to be insanely smooth and capable of running for long periods, under heavy loads, and has a ton of aftermarket support. You can buy headers, intake manifolds, superchargers, and just about any chrome do-dad for it.
By wizard16
on 04/21/14 14:33 PM (PDT)

where can u find a v-8 version? i tried looking for a year before i gave up. the ones for sales were sold in a matter of hours. these are highly coveted. you must live in a small state or city because here in CA they sell pronto.

By art2000
on 06/21/14 15:18 PM (PDT)

It was my understanding that all 2000 explorer V8s were 5.0. It changed in 2001 to the smaller V8 version.