Not great; pretty good though
By Vic on
2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV
We are at the end of our lease. This truck has been as advertised, both good and bad. It's been reliable, its AWD has gotten me through a couple of snowstorms, and has ample space for our family of 4 plus dog. We're moving up to a minivan mainly for the extra passenger capacity. Although I can't complain about the Explorer in any specific area, if I could go back 5 years, I would NOT buy this vehicle again. Again, there's nothing really wrong with it, but there are many other vehicles that would have fit our lifestyle better at a much lower price. I think a car based SUV like the Escape would have been a better choice.
Favorite Features
Nothing specific, but this is the most luxurious interior of any car I've owned. Ironically, I love the ratty, low tech sound that the old 5 liter V8 pushrod makes. Great low end torque. I think that this body style of the Explorer is still one of, if no the best looking SUV ever.
Suggested Improvements
Very bouncy, choppy ride. (I hear the current Explorer is much better). Terrible MPG with the v8. A hybrid or diesel option would help alleviate MPG concerns.