impressive for $2500
By pklassen on
2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD
I bought my Eddie bauer in 2011 with 210 000kms on it for $2500, its mostly for my wife to haul around the kids BUT ive used it several times to haul my mustang on a double axle 18ft car trailer, i have even pulled a full sized jeep grand cherokee, and it pulled it very nicely. The fellow i bought it off of had clearly neglected a lot of maintenance for a while, but after i spent some weekends with it in the garage, it runs and drives amazing. Great on long trips, great for pulling with (i have pulled over 6000lbs of trailer weight), and great in the snow or a little off-road fun. very reliable, and great bang for the buck. average 18mpg mixed, have gotten up to 24mph on the highway at best.
Favorite Features
The 5.0 pushrod engine is older than dirt, not the most fuel efficient motor out there but provides great power, torque, and is super reliable. I am also impressed with the AWD transfer case, i thought it was going to suck, but its really great for daily driving and snow situations, and the wife loves it. the interior is also really nice for the money. Heated leather seats, sunroof, and the sound system is pretty decent.
Suggested Improvements
add a leafs to fix the dreaded explorer sag.
By rjb0765
on 11/17/13 11:18 AM (PST)

I'm surprised to hear the milage you're getting. Did you do anything specifically to boost the milage? For ex I've heard that adding a Magna Flow exhaust can get you a mile or two per gallon. I'm asking because I'm on the verge of buying a 2000 with a v 8 5.0 with 103,000 miles. On test drives I could only get 14.7, even on the hiway, 11.5 around town. I've also heard the computer readouts may not be the most accurate.