2000 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Not Great
By Rosalia on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

well i liked the car untill the transmission went after 37, 000 mile the car was only used to go to work and home and the transmission went and they refused to give me a new one they only gave me a rebuilt one

Great SUV!
By smpavlikk on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Love the truck! Always reliable, Lots of room, great Pick up!(V-8) Gonna Miss it, have to sell got company car. Held its value well!

Mommy-mobile
By Re2112 on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought the truck with 36000 miles and I've had my explorer for 16 months now and I've had a/c and transmission issues. I had the compressor changed and a new pressure control valve changed in the transmission. Since then I've had no issues with my truck. I'm looking for an expedition because we just had another baby and the back seat just isn't roomy with a big car seat. Other than that the Explorer is fine.

The Owner of a Ford Explorer
By burnt on ford on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle brand new and paid around 25000 dollars for it and I has been a nightmare. Not only did the dealership try to screw me out of the rebate the transmission has been replaced 3 times in 55000 miles and the thermostat has been replaced 4 times in 70000 miles. Ford has been absolutly useless in helping me. I tried to trade it in and of course they didnt want it either. I will never buy another ford I will buy foreign first.

"F"ound "O"n "R"oad D"ead
By NO MORE FORDS on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this Explorer new for my wife. Front bumper was out of alignment when we took delivery. Got hit with the fuel injector recall, after 3 trips to dealership for the "clunk" under the drivers feet they found nothing and we went to another dealership...missing transmission mounting bolt! Just paid it off and 6K miles out of warranty the transmission slips between 2nd and 3rd...$900 bills later! That new Sequoia is going to look good in my garage...bye bye Ford

Good Explorer
By CPBRO on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

All unscheduled maintenance was covered under warranty and was nothing major. Engine-transmission match perfectly with shift points that maximize torque. Mileage ranged from 19 to 23 on highway and from 17 to 19 in town. Quick steering and smooth easy braking. Stiff ride at low speeds and rough roads.

2000 Explorer - watch the transmission
By V12Merlin on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

It appears the 2000 Explorer was built to last around 60,000 miles. Our 2000 Eddie Bauer is now falling apart with barely 65,000 miles. Most recently, we discovered Ford put a $50 transmission in a $36,000 vehicle. The transmission is going out. Shocking, considering 90% of this vehicle's miles were on the highway in overdrive and has NEVER towed anything! From the repair shops, I'm hearing Ford put far too flimsy a unit in the V6 Explorers. Many do not last as long as mine.

2000 Explorer Sport
By DMan9070 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in September of 2003, and for the most part, I have enjoyed driving it. The only major problem I have had has been the transmission, which needed about $2000 worth of work (only part of which was covered by my so-called Used Car warranty). Tip: Don't take it to a Ford dealer for service. A reputable place in your area is probably just as good, if not better and smarter. Lesson learned: Read the fine print of your warranty. Mine would not pay for "genuine Ford parts (gags)," only after-market parts, which the dealer would not do.

great vehicle
By ccd on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

have owned a few explorers, ford has been making them for a while,,great vehicle

Well Used and Loved
By phill97679 on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Great family vehicle - largest cargo area in class. Just throw EVERYTHING in the back! Great reliability...NOTHING has happened to it. Leased then bought cheap (bank did NOT want it back). Much better to drive in Oregon rain than our Honda Accord. Would buy a 2004 next, but they look like a mini-van. WARNING! Ford dealership service dept. is not good!