Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Good at first
By pudd21

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved my Explorer! I had no major problems until I hit 100,000 miles and then it fell apart. Had problems with the rear wiper, driver door locks, transmission, spark plugs, radio light, knocking sound in the engine and all of it happened in about three months. It's now in the shop and hope to trade for a newer model when it gets fixed.

Favorite Features

Looks, all the extras, lots of room, and lots of cupholders.

Suggested Improvements

Mostly mechanical.

Hot Hot Hot
By MIchael

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I have enjoyed the Explorer - it has only failed me twice; once my fault and once the SUV. The radio runs too hot and you lose the lcds on the radio. Not expensive. Transmission needs to be service every 30000 miles. The ERG needs to be replaced too frequently. Rides great. I have only been stuck in snow once (about three feet of snow). Good pulling power. I will buy another one, but with 3rd seat for use sometimes, not daily.

Favorite Features

Has good air, excellent radio system with the upgrade. Good lumbar support and back support in seats.

Suggested Improvements

Problem with ERG and radio dash light failure. Air conditioning weak at idle.

Best Used SUV Deal, PERIOD!
By Iowaexplorer

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Best vehicle I have ever owned. This is a $40,000 dollar truck out of the factory, and I picked it up for tiny fractions of that. My Explorer has more features than anyone could ever need, and the powertrain has been rock solid. Ford may not be on par with some of the imports, but I get twice the amenities for half the price. I recommend the 4.0 SOHC if you are not using the car for consistent towing. The 4.0 has 210 hp, and unfortunately the 5.0 only has 215, and you pay for it in poor mpg. At 70 mph, I consistently get 20+ mpg on the highway. Mach stereo is powerful and crystal clear. Never a single reliability issue.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel mounted audio AND climate control, on board computer, heated seats, elegant interior, bulletproof 4.0 engine, rear heat/air, single in-dash CD paired with 6 disk in the console, Mach audio w/subwoofer, heated/power EVERYTHING, AWD traction, Great looks with Limited package.

Suggested Improvements

More power...still a problem with even the new ones. "Wood trim" looks cheap, a few minor electrical quirks (stereo head unit flickers, lumbar support buttons on both seats do not work). Higher ground clearance for those who offroad, better ride quality.

bought another one
By Shelly

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased mine new and it is still running with 165,000 miles on it. Drove it HARD everyday for nearly six years without doing much more than changing the oil (and didn't do that very often), i.e it has survived use and abuse. Only complaint is the fuel pump which started to give me trouble at about 125,000 miles and is the reason why I'm no longer driving it (but I am now driving a 2005 model if that gives any indication about the significance).

Favorite Features

Overall size - not too big, not too small, just right.

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the fuel pump! I know several explorer owners who have had similar experiences.

It does what is can
By rustygray

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought mine used from a dealer. I got a great deal, and the vehicle has been solid, fun to drive, and it starts daily, and with better tires and new shocks, it handles pretty well . But it is an SUV not a sports car, so as with any high centered vehicle, driver responsibility is a must. Mine is a 5 speed, and easy to toss around, slide sideways, and fun in the mud and dirt. Keep the oil changed, rotate tires, and air filter every 3k miles, should be okay.

Favorite Features

All around vehicle, can get it dirty, haul kayaks. bikes or a small trailer, handles trails, and it's paid for.

Suggested Improvements

None , it's a 2000, any new models are completely different.