2000 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Not great; pretty good though
By Vic on 07/01/05 22:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

We are at the end of our lease. This truck has been as advertised, both good and bad. It's been reliable, its AWD has gotten me through a couple of snowstorms, and has ample space for our family of 4 plus dog. We're moving up to a minivan mainly for the extra passenger capacity. Although I can't complain about the Explorer in any specific area, if I could go back 5 years, I would NOT buy this vehicle again. Again, there's nothing really wrong with it, but there are many other vehicles that would have fit our lifestyle better at a much lower price. I think a car based SUV like the Escape would have been a better choice.

Satisfied
By rtownsend on 06/08/05 11:41 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Explorer. They have both been reliable. However, Ford dealerships haven't provided good service. Not very good gas mileage for a relatively small SUV with a six cylinder engine.

Opinion of a Ford Explorer
By Sandra Wilson on 06/06/05 14:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

This Explorer has been one mechanical problem after another. I would never buy another one, the gas mileage is terrible. It rides like a tractor on a dirt road.

Not great, but good.
By thegreenslaves on 03/16/05 16:55 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Has more of the redesigned 2001 features. It's basically a 2001 without the newer body style. The only thing it doesn't have is the SOHC 4.0l engine, it has the OHV 4.0l engine. The OHV is not bad for acceleration from a standstill, but at highway speeds you barely move. If you buy this year make sure it has a SOHC engine because some do and some don't, and most dealerships will sell both engines at the same price and that's a difference of 160 hp and 210 hp. No MAJOR problems but a lot of nuisances. The rear wiper works intermittently; you have to get the slip yokes lubed ($50) or else it feels like the tranny drops. Not a bad SUV though...at least mine.

Ford Tough?
By Jeff on 02/27/05 19:03 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a highway car not and off road one and both the front and rear end are bad, both front hub assembly, ball joints, transmission slipping between 1st and 2nd, the V6 engine is noisy, the O2 sensors had to be replaced as well as the intake gaskets for sucking air. Interior - The seats have no lower back support and the rear seat belt latches in the back seat keep anyone but a small child from seating in the center. Arm rest broke. Exterior - trim bad from factory and shows spots where it is snapped on.

Happy with My Eddie Bauer!
By KCB on 02/21/05 10:45 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have owned this vehicle for 4 years and have had NO problems with it whatsoever. Despite the bad press, it holds the road well and it an excellent vehicle.

2000 Ford Explorer
By JOHNPIERCE on 01/24/05 13:42 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The heated seat on the drivers side went out at 36,000 miles. 6 way CD player was replaced under warranty. Ball joints replaced at 29,000 miles, was just out of warranty 3 weeks; dealership replaced them free. You expect something like this at 100,000 miles, not 29,000. stabilizer control links were just replaced at 42,000 miles. This is the 2nd Explorer I have owned. My 1994 never had suspension problems like this one. I do not drive off road and maintain the car to manufacturer recommendations.

2000 Explorer XLT
By jrsygirl on 01/05/05 12:05 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I LOVE my Ford Explorer. It handles beautifully. I love the ease of loading/unloading in the back. It's comfortable to drive. I have had no major mechanical issues and have had to do very little maintenance. The only down-side is the gas mileage. I would recommend an Explorer to anyone interested in an SUV.

I like my Ford Explorer
By Mary Baughman on 12/15/04 13:19 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Car handles well in snow and bad road conditions. Visibility is good except for front right corner, where the windshield bar blocks the view somewhat. I like the heated seat and passenger comfort system, heat and air both.

2000 4WD xlt
By MAlexander on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love this red Explorer