Used 2000 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Inexpensive & reliable
By Jay Tode

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased in 2005 as a second vehicle with 78,000 miles. Had several Thunderbirds in the past with no problems. This vehicle has done better than expected. Other than tires, brakes and a battery, I had no maintenance issues until I hit 128000. then I needed to replace the brake master cylinder and developed a leak in the radiator. V8 is responsive and I can get 20 on the highway if I keep it at 70 mph. Just sold it to my brother and I bought an 03 Explorer XLT with 60k miles. Hope it does as well. When reading other reviews, it seems people have no problems or the car is a nightmare.

Comfort for an SUV. This vehicle just fits me well.

None. I just bought an 03 - hope it does as well.

A reliable vehicle that saved my life
By Cara

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I got this car in college and used it to drive back and forth to ski races around the northeast. It handled amazingly well on snow, plowed effortlessly through deep snow, and also performed well on the highway. My only gripe at all is the low gas mileage, but that's due to the V8 engine. My main feedback about this vehicle is related to safety. I recently totaled this vehicle in a crash. I skid out of control on a gravel road (went around a curve too fast), launched off an embankment and rolled 7 times. My friend and I walked away with little more than bruises. Anyone who has ever seen photos of the crash is amazed--this vehicle held up like a tank!

Safety, key pad entry, spacious cargo, engine power.

Get a Warranty with it!
By BriGuy

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

My first new vehicle was more unreliable than many used vehicles I had before. Ready for the list: Valve body in transmission, engine rods, oxygen sensors(2), transfer case, front differential seal, driver's side ball joints 3 times, tie-rods twice, passenger side ball joints once, center console collapsed, rear window leak! 5k in repairs! All this by 75,000 miles! Too bad I enjoyed it when it ran.

20 mpg not bad, 4x4 better than my old Jeep, body style, good power

All things mechanical. This is why people buy those ugly Japanese SUV's

Strike 2
By Jeff

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Started with 4 thousand miles with a noise like a dry speedometer cable that took multiple trips to resolve. During year 4 with around 65K miles I had Transmission issues, intake gasket sucking air, plastic arm rest, and the top problem was replacing front drive bearings, rear axle bearings, front drive all in a failed attempt to get rid of a noise so load even the transmission mechanic thought I should be more worried about it. So for the past 50 thousand miles I have be waiting to see wait is going to fail off so I can repair it.

Size, look, and the V6 get 21 mpg hwy

This follows bad experience with Windstar and I am not going to pay Ford to have that 3rd strike. Save your money and purchase a Honda or Toyota even used if you need to but stay away from Ford.

I love it!
By Tracy

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

This is by far the best vehicle I've had. It looks great, it's the perfect size, and it's really great on gas! If you're looking for a small SUV I would highly recommend this one!

Sunroof, comfortable seats, great A/C, sidesteps

Better shocks! It's like being in a lowrider!