2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
I Love my Explorer
By John on 07/21/06 18:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV

I have had my Explorer for six years and have not one thing go wrong with my truck. No rust, but I always keep it in my garage when not in use. The only thing that I dislike is the harsh ride when not carrying any load in it.

Better with age
By steve on 07/10/06 11:19 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

I sold my 1999 Miata (sigh) - needed more room, haul a trailer, etc. I purchased my Limited with 87,000 miles on the clock. After replacing the original shocks and doing a tune-up we loaded it up and headed on a 6,000 mile vacation. Once I got used to the very truckish handling (a shock after the "your thoughts are my command" demeanor of the Miata), I learned to love this vehicle. Now at 108,000 miles, I would rate this as (gasp!) one of the most trouble free and usable vehicles I've ever owned. It pulls down a very respectable 17 city/22 hwy fuel economy and handles any chore I throw at it. I also bought a 1998 with a V8. The SOHC V6 performed just as well with double the fuel economy.

WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN!
By dmw on 07/05/06 13:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV

My Explorer has had transmission work done on it 3 times in 3 years. It seems like as soon as the one year warranty runs out, so does the transmission. I also have to replace brakes at least twice a year and my check engine light won't go off even after I had the oxygen sensor worked on as instructed by the mechanic. This truck has given me nothing but problems from day one!

Ups and Downs....
By Baltimore Guy on 05/12/06 08:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car as a demo with 2100 miles on it. It operated well for the first 4 years - recalls were handled promptly - but then the problems started. Normal wear (brakes, wipers, battery, etc.) to be expected (but not appreciated) but alternator failed, fuel pump went bad and other assorted "minor" problems (which aren't cheap to fix) before it hit 50,000 miles. Have always enjoyed driving the car - especially on long trips - very comfortable, easy to drive - wish gas mileage was a little better - but don't mind sacrificing that for the comfort. Not sure if I'll buy another one though.

Pretty Good So Far
By explorerowner on 04/06/06 12:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought the Explorer over the Cherokee, even though the Cherokee had more options, at a lower price. My truck drives very well, and has incurred very few problems. The paint job of the vehicle is another issue. My black paint is cracking on the roof and hood of the car. I have always washed and waxed the car thoroughly, and wish this would not happen. The paint on the roof racks is also coming off.

I'll Never Buy Another Ford
By FordNeverAgain on 03/22/06 09:39 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Explorer with 32,000 miles. At 42,000 transmission blew. At 58,000 transmission blew again. At 72,000 needed ball joints upper and lower both sides, wheel bearing right side tie rods, rotors, brakes, shocks, and tires. I can go with the brakes, shocks and tires -- normal wear but the suspension, no way. At 86,000 head gasket blew and is in the garage again. When it comes out it will be traded, I will not buy another Ford. This vehicle sees all highway. no city. No off road. I really like the Escape but too scared to go through the expense again. 2 transmissions $3200, front end work $2000, now head gasket $1100, coupled with the price of the vehicle I could of bought a Lexus.

Why did I buy this? The Worst
By msqvc513 on 01/11/06 17:11 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

First complaint is the two doors and how you have to get out to let people in and out there's no way around it. Kinda stinks when it's raining you know? Then you gotta be a bit of a contortionist to get back there and out, and they don't give you much space for this. Crummy little windows in the back make you claustrophobic. Okay and THE GAS MILEAGE is horrendous. That car eats better than I do! The rusty side steps, it's just unacceptable and embarrassing. It's stuffy in there, no way around using the air vent and the A/C and heat are always either freezing or baking you alive. The roof rack paint is peeling. What else? The rusty drums that had to be replaced at 50k miles, the way it stalls in the cold.

I hate my Exploder!
By jonesthai on 12/28/05 19:14 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have taken this excuse of a SUV into the dealer 12 times under warranty (that's including 3 recalls)! Door ajar light has been "fixed" three times and still comes on to this day. All problems include transmission, rear window, rear window washer, tires, ball joint, knocking engine noise (dealer said this was normal!), starter, rusty step bar, etc. I will never buy another Ford, anything owned by Ford, or anything that looks like a Ford again! Please do yourself a favor and look at another company besides Ford.

going to buy another Explorer
By fordblue on 09/25/05 22:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We drive to several ski vacations every year and pulled a 21 foot boat for the first two years. Love the 4wd in the snow and getting the boat out of the water. Mechanical - two sets of brakes, a loose antenna wire and a stuck thermostat are it for maintenance.

It fits in the garage
By CSnow on 07/26/05 22:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Over all, it’s OK. The ride is choppy and rough and it averages 18mpg even with the best riding tires I can find. I would not recommend this vehicle for long cross country drives. The spark plug wires have been replaced every 30,000 miles due to heat damage. The brakes lasted 50,000 miles, the A/C lasted to 100,000 (4 YEARS). The engine drive seal failed and now leaks oil on to the manifold, leaving a wonderful smoke trail. The radio lights fade on and off at will and the front driver’s side door lock won’t unlock with the remote. Most of my driving is dry smooth Arizona highways with no rattling problems and a never used AWD and tow package.