2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
A Good SUV
By Dave on 10/05/07 18:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I've put almost 19,000 miles on this SUV in less than 8 months and I have had no problems whatsoever. I had a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo before this so it was nice to trade-up to a car without a rusty spare tire holder and bumper. The Explorer is probably a shade worse on fuel but the Rodeo had a manual tranny. The Explorer has a much more solid feel, doesn't lean on turns, has a normal cupholder and overall feels more comfortable.

Great SUV
By Rudy on 10/05/07 10:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought my '00 Explorer brand new and have had nothing but exceptional service from it. 23 mpg hwy and 18.5 in town. Tune up and trans. flush at 90K miles. A/C still cold. Radio LED's burned out at 110K and that's a pain but radio still plays great. Liked this car so much I ordered an '07 as my company vehcile for the next 3 yrs. If you need a good used SUV this model is a great choice!

Great Auto
By EKF on 09/20/07 10:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this Explorer new. Pulled small box trailers and boats all over the South and Southwest. Never have had any trouble. Only did regular maintenance. It has been hard on tire, but all of my other SUVs were also. It comes with the territory in these vehicles. The back wiper has never worked right, but not a big problem. Stills runs great. Uses no oil. The model has taken a lot of bad publicity, but mine has just been excellent. I would buy another.

Extremely Reliable
By Walt on 09/04/07 02:56 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used from leasing company. Rolled over 183K problem free with regular, normal maintenance (oil changes every 4K, transmission flush every 35K). Replace brake rotors / pads about every 60K, but only because I feel safer doing so. Engine, transmission very quiet, smooth. Changed spark plugs at 90K and 175K, spark plug wires at 175K. Not sure how much more anyone could ask for.

Love this car
By Lauren on 05/25/07 12:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This was my family's 4th Explorer and we're going to continue buying Explorers because they are great SUVs. Everything was great about it, I never had any problems. When the car was totalled it had over 150,000 miles on it and it was running strong. I got into a pretty bad accident in it and it held up really well and no one was injured. I feel like this is a really safe car and I really liked it a lot.

Good at first
By pudd21 on 03/20/07 08:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved my Explorer! I had no major problems until I hit 100,000 miles and then it fell apart. Had problems with the rear wiper, driver door locks, transmission, spark plugs, radio light, knocking sound in the engine and all of it happened in about three months. It's now in the shop and hope to trade for a newer model when it gets fixed.

Hot Hot Hot
By MIchael on 01/17/07 07:33 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I have enjoyed the Explorer - it has only failed me twice; once my fault and once the SUV. The radio runs too hot and you lose the lcds on the radio. Not expensive. Transmission needs to be service every 30000 miles. The ERG needs to be replaced too frequently. Rides great. I have only been stuck in snow once (about three feet of snow). Good pulling power. I will buy another one, but with 3rd seat for use sometimes, not daily.

Best Used SUV Deal, PERIOD!
By Iowaexplorer on 10/30/06 19:54 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Best vehicle I have ever owned. This is a $40,000 dollar truck out of the factory, and I picked it up for tiny fractions of that. My Explorer has more features than anyone could ever need, and the powertrain has been rock solid. Ford may not be on par with some of the imports, but I get twice the amenities for half the price. I recommend the 4.0 SOHC if you are not using the car for consistent towing. The 4.0 has 210 hp, and unfortunately the 5.0 only has 215, and you pay for it in poor mpg. At 70 mph, I consistently get 20+ mpg on the highway. Mach stereo is powerful and crystal clear. Never a single reliability issue.

bought another one
By Shelly on 10/18/06 15:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased mine new and it is still running with 165,000 miles on it. Drove it HARD everyday for nearly six years without doing much more than changing the oil (and didn't do that very often), i.e it has survived use and abuse. Only complaint is the fuel pump which started to give me trouble at about 125,000 miles and is the reason why I'm no longer driving it (but I am now driving a 2005 model if that gives any indication about the significance).

It does what is can
By rustygray on 07/26/06 09:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought mine used from a dealer. I got a great deal, and the vehicle has been solid, fun to drive, and it starts daily, and with better tires and new shocks, it handles pretty well . But it is an SUV not a sports car, so as with any high centered vehicle, driver responsibility is a must. Mine is a 5 speed, and easy to toss around, slide sideways, and fun in the mud and dirt. Keep the oil changed, rotate tires, and air filter every 3k miles, should be okay.