Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Explorers Forever
By DANGIT

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I now own a 2000 Ford explorer with 124,000 miles on it. I purchased it new and have followed the Ford recommended services. It has been very dependable in rain, ice, and snow conditions. I never drive it off road. Repairs have been required due to normal wear and tear only. I intend to keep it for at least another 5-years or 50,000 miles. This is my second Explorer and I would recommend it to anyone interested in an SUV.

Favorite Features

Great towing trailers and hauling boys for Boy Scout trips. Very dependable in icy/snowy conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Make towing package and hitch standard instead of optional, this has been done in later models.

Why ford why?
By richard

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

What a joke. 4x4 goes out. Trannys go out. Front end went. Rear end went out. Abs went out. Crank was going. They are built to fall apart and cost you a ton of money and why is everyone wanting shift on the fly four wheel drive? Put that on the floor. Maybe that's why Dodge can beat Ford with the durango.

Favorite Features

i hated every thing that this car had there is a lot they can do to them

Suggested Improvements

four on the floor more power better abs system and transmissions and transfer cases with a higher ground clearance

Nice Ford Vehicle
By glett

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased at 115,000 miles and sold it at 185,000 miles. Solid reliable vehicle mechanically. No major mechanical issues! Little things went wrong like driver's side auto window, electrical issues with factory radio/cd player. However, it always started in cold, never leaked fluids and maintained the V6 power and 4-wheel drive.

Favorite Features

4-wheel drive and rugged dependability

Suggested Improvements

electrical components. fuel efficiency

Love this little truck!
By azgirl

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Bought this truck used with 70k miles on it. It has been a champ. I have only had to replace the fuel pump in 6 years of owning it. It has 153k on it now and it's still going strong. Made me a believer in Fords. I really love this little truck. I have the 2 door model, and even after the surprise of a baby, the roominess has served me well. Great car for around town, could do with better gas mileage, but on the highway it does OK. Really the most reliable car I have ever owned. Would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

Has power and get up and go. Great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holder back from the stick shift. Make the gas mileage in town better.

Faulty power windows and locks
By SUVDRIVEN

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I've owned 2 Explorers over the last 15 years and both Explorer's power window and door lock motors burned out in both! Not a coincidence. There is definitely something wrong with the way these are built. I like the Explorer and would keep purchasing them if that problem was resolved. i don't trust Ford to get that right.

Favorite Features

look, room

Suggested Improvements

power window and door lock motors!