2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Mommy-mobile
By Re2112 on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought the truck with 36000 miles and I've had my explorer for 16 months now and I've had a/c and transmission issues. I had the compressor changed and a new pressure control valve changed in the transmission. Since then I've had no issues with my truck. I'm looking for an expedition because we just had another baby and the back seat just isn't roomy with a big car seat. Other than that the Explorer is fine.

Good Explorer
By CPBRO on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

All unscheduled maintenance was covered under warranty and was nothing major. Engine-transmission match perfectly with shift points that maximize torque. Mileage ranged from 19 to 23 on highway and from 17 to 19 in town. Quick steering and smooth easy braking. Stiff ride at low speeds and rough roads.

A bumpy ride, literally and figuratively
By Psychscan on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

My Explorer had a radiator replacement, tire replacements, and a recall in the first 1000 miles. It had two additional recall items in August, 2003. It went out of warranty (3 yr/36,000 miles) in July, 2003. In October, 2003 (37500 miles) the engine blew, though it had been meticulously maintained, costing $5200. Ford would not accept any responsibility or cover any repairs. No more Fords for me though I have driven them in my business and personal fleet.

2000 Ford Explorer is a POS
By jack7175 on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have experience very high maintenance and repair costs with the 2000 Ford Explorer. I am particularly disappointed in the number of electrical problems I started having once my 36/36,000 warranty expired. I have spent more than $1000 in repair costs since August of 2002 on this piece of crap vehicle. I will think twice, if not three time before buying another Ford vehicle.

Very Disappointed!
By Happy Driver 4U2C on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I commonly refer to this vehicle as my "Exploder"--I've had to have the engine and power steering replaced, the power window motor on the driver's side stopped working, when I put on the blinker, my windshield wipers start going, and now the transmission is falling apart to the tune of over $1000! When will it end?! Is this what "Ford Tough" is? I would personally like to push this truck off of a very tall cliff!

An Owners Opinion
By William Carns on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I am 6'3', 250 lbs., for me the seating is comfortable but snug. The headroom is there, that's #1. I pull an 18 ft. runabout boat with ease. We load up for our trips to Mexico and the roof rack is a must. The car drives well and my fuel milage is 17.5 in town, 21 on the road, 6 cyl SOHC. This SUV fits well in the garage and is easy to park. If I wanted more out of this vehicle, I would have bought an Expidition. I'm happy.