Used 2000 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Never Buy a 2 Door SUV
By jemiller4golf

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I purchased my Explorer Sport new and found that it did not handle well on wet roads and curves. Besides a hefty transmission repair bill, I have had issues with the ABS system, air bag indicator light, and keyless remote system. Before I purchase my next vehicle I will review any Technical Service Bulletins and Recall notices on the National Highway Safety website as I saw a number of issues listed for the Explorer that I am experiencing.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Discontinue this model unless the newer models have addressed the chronic problems.

2000 Explorer Sport
By DMan9070

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in September of 2003, and for the most part, I have enjoyed driving it. The only major problem I have had has been the transmission, which needed about $2000 worth of work (only part of which was covered by my so-called Used Car warranty). Tip: Don't take it to a Ford dealer for service. A reputable place in your area is probably just as good, if not better and smarter. Lesson learned: Read the fine print of your warranty. Mine would not pay for "genuine Ford parts (gags)," only after-market parts, which the dealer would not do.

Favorite Features

CD/Tape Player Combo, cup holders, cargo area, flip-down seats, running boards, Fog lights

Suggested Improvements

A digital odometer would look more cool in the cockpit, brighter headlamps, slightly easier to reach knobs and buttons, better and cheaper Ford service.

Really miss my red '97 Ford F 150 truck!
By NanaD

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I really like the looks of my Exp.Sport,but it is the worst vehicle I ever drove.You feel every bump in the road..and if those bumps are in a curve,the rear will get "squirelly". If you drive in the rain...slow way, way down because you lose traction (rear) on wet roads. I tried other tires with no success in changing this problem.

Favorite Features

I love my auto.dimming rear view mirror and my electronic compass/temp.display on the overhead console.

Suggested Improvements

The rear end is too light for rough and/or wet roads. A more comfortable and smoother ride is a must!!

2000 Explorer Sport
By 5150

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

If you're going to by an Explorer, you may want to opt for the 4-door instead of the 2-door sport model. It doesn't take corners well at all and the suspension leaves a lot to be desired. It drives like a pickup truck. We've had ours for 4 years. The engine has been fine, with only a sensor going bad. Also, the brakes had to be replaced at only 21,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Luggage rack Sporty Style/design Folding seats Easy to get in and out of.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension Fuel efficiency

Traded the Mustang
By azure eyes

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I got my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport earlier this month when I traded my 1998 Ford Mustang in for it. I needed much more room for my things, with being an art major in school, and a musician. I liked how the Explorer Sport looked rugged and tough-not weak and flimsy like other SUV's. This one works great for people with busy lifestyles, with things to do and stuff to carry. It's fun to pile all of your friends into the Explorer and head out to the beach, or mountains, with the windows down and radio up. It's very fun to drive- I get a lot of compliments on this vehicle.

Favorite Features

I love this color, "Tropic Green", but I've noticed that Ford makes a lot of great colors for the Explorer. I also love the dark interior, the fold-down seats, and Goodyear tires. The factory sound system isn't bad either.

Suggested Improvements

There's a little interior noise when I drive at higher speeds, and more passing power would be good, but I can't think of any other bad points.