Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

impressive for $2500
By pklassen

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Eddie bauer in 2011 with 210 000kms on it for $2500, its mostly for my wife to haul around the kids BUT ive used it several times to haul my mustang on a double axle 18ft car trailer, i have even pulled a full sized jeep grand cherokee, and it pulled it very nicely. The fellow i bought it off of had clearly neglected a lot of maintenance for a while, but after i spent some weekends with it in the garage, it runs and drives amazing. Great on long trips, great for pulling with (i have pulled over 6000lbs of trailer weight), and great in the snow or a little off-road fun. very reliable, and great bang for the buck. average 18mpg mixed, have gotten up to 24mph on the highway at best.

The 5.0 pushrod engine is older than dirt, not the most fuel efficient motor out there but provides great power, torque, and is super reliable. I am also impressed with the AWD transfer case, i thought it was going to suck, but its really great for daily driving and snow situations, and the wife loves it. the interior is also really nice for the money. Heated leather seats, sunroof, and the sound system is pretty decent.

add a leafs to fix the dreaded explorer sag.

Too many problems to list, buy anything else!
By jimbo28max

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I am sure that any positive review is from a Ford dealer or someone who has an interest in selling one. Because this car is probably the biggest pile of junk ever built.
The biggest problem is that the dealer cant even fix them. I am on my third transmission. If you look online you will see that they all have the same known problem.
I get a random check engine light that comes back as "bad shift solenoids". Dealer changer shift solenoids .
and it was not the problem. Shifting problem misteriously went away for 1 yr and is now back.

In true FORD fashion nerf bars rusted and literally fell off of the car, EGR rusted through and caused all kinds of problems, bad mass airflow sensor, etc

There is nothing good to say about this piece of junk.

Learn something from Toyota. I have the same same year Toyota with twice as many mile and it is mint compared to the Ford. It hasn't had one problem. All original components at 250,000 miles.

Great SUV
By edwnek3

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Explorer. The first being a 96 Mountaineer. The Explorer 4.0 has much better gas milage the the Mountaineer 5.0.

Great reliable car!
By drew72

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall this has
been a great car. We've had our explorer for almost 10 years, and we bought it used. It's going on 230,000 Miles now, with the original engine still running strong. We've only had to get the transmission changed once, and other than that it has been nothing but your regular maintenance. This is a great car for Michigan winters when you're driving through a half foot of snow and ice in the mornings, and has an amazing a/c for the summer. The tinted windows are nice as well, and there's a lot of room in it compared to other cars the same size as it. This is definatley no the car for you if you are worried about your gas milage though, i average around 17-18 mpg

Space, and the 4 wheel drive is amazing! the a/c is also pretty great

The factory stereo in this car is crap! the speakers sound muddy and distorted, you don't have to listen to it loud to blow the speakers, they just do it on their own, but it's no that expensive to replace them with after market speakers if you care about it. The only other problem is that even with regular washing and waxing this car has rusted BAD!!

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0L Shocking Still
By ewjayester

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this vehicle used, after my Toyota Land Cruiser was totaled. I wanted another SUV/Truck that I could use as a work horse. I had no faith in the vehicle at all, none what so ever. I drove it hard and still do, I didn't wash it, wasn't thinking about its maintenance, and the thing continued to, if I must say, (EXPLORE). No issues with any type of upkeep or problems of service lights, strange noises, anything falling apart, which was my fore thought of Fords all my life. Needless to say it just hit 140k and purrs like a kitten. The engine is super strong, which is one reason my title of the review states shocking, and still going strong. I'm now a believer in Ford. A GT40 is next.

1. 5.0L V8 Engine 2. On-board Computer for mileage, fuel, maintenance/service, distance, range, trip, etc. 3. Limited Edition which has more amenity options/features than the Eddie Bauer Edition. 4. Color Coded entire body. 5. Leather Seats w/Limited Edition stitching, 12 way electric seats, heated seats, lumbar support. 6. Rear fwd/backward folding seats, rear seating A/C, and radio controls/external plugins. 7. One touch windows and sunroof. 8. Sun visor memo/to-do list recorder. 9. Lit and heated side view mirrors. 10. Steering wheel radio/cd, cruise controls. 11. Keypad door entry/lock. 12. High ground clearance.

1. Better gas mileage. 2. More off-roading capabilities/features. 3. Third-row seating.