Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great SUV
By edwnek3

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Explorer. The first being a 96 Mountaineer. The Explorer 4.0 has much better gas milage the the Mountaineer 5.0.

Great reliable car!
By drew72

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall this has been a great car. We've had our explorer for almost 10 years, and we bought it used. It's going on 230,000 Miles now, with the original engine still running strong. We've only had to get the transmission changed once, and other than that it has been nothing but your regular maintenance. This is a great car for Michigan winters when you're driving through a half foot of snow and ice in the mornings, and has an amazing a/c for the summer. The tinted windows are nice as well, and there's a lot of room in it compared to other cars the same size as it. This is definatley no the car for you if you are worried about your gas milage though, i average around 17-18 mpg

Favorite Features

Space, and the 4 wheel drive is amazing! the a/c is also pretty great

Suggested Improvements

The factory stereo in this car is crap! the speakers sound muddy and distorted, you don't have to listen to it loud to blow the speakers, they just do it on their own, but it's no that expensive to replace them with after market speakers if you care about it. The only other problem is that even with regular washing and waxing this car has rusted BAD!!

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0L Shocking Still
By ewjayester

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this vehicle used, after my Toyota Land Cruiser was totaled. I wanted another SUV/Truck that I could use as a work horse. I had no faith in the vehicle at all, none what so ever. I drove it hard and still do, I didn't wash it, wasn't thinking about its maintenance, and the thing continued to, if I must say, (EXPLORE). No issues with any type of upkeep or problems of service lights, strange noises, anything falling apart, which was my fore thought of Fords all my life. Needless to say it just hit 140k and purrs like a kitten. The engine is super strong, which is one reason my title of the review states shocking, and still going strong. I'm now a believer in Ford. A GT40 is next.

Favorite Features

1. 5.0L V8 Engine 2. On-board Computer for mileage, fuel, maintenance/service, distance, range, trip, etc. 3. Limited Edition which has more amenity options/features than the Eddie Bauer Edition. 4. Color Coded entire body. 5. Leather Seats w/Limited Edition stitching, 12 way electric seats, heated seats, lumbar support. 6. Rear fwd/backward folding seats, rear seating A/C, and radio controls/external plugins. 7. One touch windows and sunroof. 8. Sun visor memo/to-do list recorder. 9. Lit and heated side view mirrors. 10. Steering wheel radio/cd, cruise controls. 11. Keypad door entry/lock. 12. High ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

1. Better gas mileage. 2. More off-roading capabilities/features. 3. Third-row seating.

One Phrase: The Best
By bosshog85

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this truck as the 2nd owner with 130K miles on it. The 5.0L V8 engine is a huge plus and the transmission shifts smoothly still. I still do notice the common problems in it like the radio display on the Mach stereo system going out and the rear wiper only working about 50% of the time, but they're only minor problems. The leather seats have really held out well over the years and is built to last! The premium Mach stereo system is definitely a plus with the nice bass it booms out :] Probably going to run this truck until it dies. This truck is definitely a great example of Ford's amazing quality and superiority. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Favorite Features

Sunroof V8 engine leather AWD Mach stereo system

Suggested Improvements

Radio display Rear windshield wiper ugly shaped steering wheel

My first Ford
By atwizted1

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought mine in June of 2008 with 84,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner and take extremely good care of it. Maintenance is always done religiously on time. It now has 145,000 miles on it and the only thing it needed was the oxygen sensors replaced. NEVER has broke down on me. Only issue I have is the rear wiper motor is stripped out where the arm is inserted into it and the rear window hinges have stripped out at the screws. I have taken it off-road twice, once in sand, and once up and down some decently rocky short hills and it climbed like a champ...still no mechanical issues! I'll buy another one if gas economy is better. It's an XLT V8 AWD. Prefer to choose 2 WD or 4 WD