2000 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2000 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

New transmission
By no more explorers

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

We have a 2000 XLS. We have had to deal with the poor gas mileage which was expected. However, there were unexpected problems. We had several little complaints like it took a long time to warm up in the winter so the heat took a long time, wipers never worked great in the front or rear. The biggest complaint was that it needed a new transmission at 40,000 miles. There was no explanation given as to why a low mielage vehicle needed this work. Appraently it is a common thing with Explorers. We have sworn off Fords and bought a Dodge Caravan. The dealer was great to work with, which is good since we were there so often.

Ford Explorer Sport
By lily3p

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Overall this is a well build SUV with good pick up and comfort. However, I don't think this vehicle has very good handling. Especially in the rain, hauling a load and emergency situations. I wouldn't recommend the Ford Explorer Sport to new drivers, i.e. teenagers. I don't think this is a very safe car. This will be our first and our last ford explorer sport.

Favorite Features

comfort, pick up, nice interior/exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps, re-designing the whole thing, so it will handel better in emergency situations.

2000 XLT
By jrc346

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Very pleased overall. Had to give it back to the dealership last June because the lease was up. I had 2 problems with it. The first being that I had the timming chain rattle from the SOHC V6. When they took apart the engine to work on that they messed up a spark pulg wire that would make my Explorer miss and run badly. However those were my only two issues. It never squeeked ((even with living on a bumpy Michigan dirt road) Heck, even mainroads here will bring out a squeek on almost any vehicle :-) The 4WD worked flawlessly and I am going to get my wife a 2000 Limited to replace her aging 1996 Explorer (which has also been great only needing a fuel pump.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and very attractive. Had great passing power and had good build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the SOHC V6. The engine is awsome except for the timming chain problem.

2000 Limited
By wsws

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I enjoy my 2000 Explorer LTD V6 4X4 very much,

Favorite Features

Reverse sensors, computer info center, steering wheel controls, rear a/c and audio,

Suggested Improvements

Ride and handling!!! PAINT QUALITY, more horsepower would be nice

Sexplorer
By mibman

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Nice car. Drives like a truck

Favorite Features

heated sets and mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Needs more internal storage space in drivers section

2000 Explorer Review
By davidmay

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Very Satisfied with the Explorer. Very functional and an enjoyable drive. I drive 88 miles round trip to work daily, plus several road trips. All on- road. Very please with the reliability after the tire recall. Minor problems: AM Radio reception, antenna cable came loose. Radio display comes and goes. Understand that it is a common problem. $300 repair by Ford, But have found 3rd party mail in repair for $75.00. Will do that when the display fails altogether. Rear wiper will not work at times. Have not had that looked at yet. Currently have 65,000 miles and plan on keeping it.

Favorite Features

Audio System. Visibility. Looks. Heat & Air. Reliability Functional

Suggested Improvements

Soften the ride. Lower the center of gravity. Radio: Put the CD changer in the dash. Put the Radio's seek control (forward and back)on the steering wheel. Drop the Mode switch. Move cruise controls of the steering wheel and onto the signal control.

2000 XLS after dealer helped with '99
By njdevilsrn

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I got this 2000 XLS after my almost loaded '99 XLT turned out that is almost needed a bright yellow paint coat (hint, hint). To save me a few bucks on an assisted buyback, I got a 2000 XLS rather than XLT. The only things I miss from the XLT are the cushier seats, overhead console, and the power of the SOHC engine (certainly not the problems that come with it). This ride has been pretty OK. Tranny needed to be replaced at 21000 miles, replaced rear wiper motor (who hasn't?). Also with a rattle in the door for 4 months now, dealer can't hear it (go figure?). Definitely buying an ESP as the first 2 years of ownership and the '99 did not inspire confidence.

Favorite Features

I like my truck.

Suggested Improvements

As Ford saw fit, the ride definitely could use some work. I will try some premium shocks when it is time (Bilstein or Edelbrock) to see if that smoothes it out or improves the washboard handling.

I like my Explorer
By mmazik

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I put a lot of miles on my vehicles. So far the Explorer has done well. The quality and "feel" are very solid. I feel safe when driving it because it is an old fashioned, heavy truck chassis with front and side airbags.

Favorite Features

I just recently installed a child safety seat in the back seat. I always knew that the back seat had plenty of leg room, but I discovered it also has enough space to have a baby seat and still have the front seat all the way back. Try that in a smaller vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

I tend to rest my elbow on the door panel on long trips. I wish the Explorer had a more comfy door panel. The hard plastic just isn't very comfortable to touch.

Explore the Explorer
By purplekat02680

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am currently driving my second Ford Explorer. I previously owned a 1996 with the same options on it and drove it for a couple of years. I finally decided that the mileage was the only factor keeping me from taking it to college this coming fall. Therefore, I sold it privately for about $8200 with 102,000 miles on it. I absolutely love my new vehicle and will probably always own an Explorer whenever I have a vehicle.

Favorite Features

Handling, options, reliability, space and comfort, looks/design

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I might suggest to make would be standard wide tires and possibly more locations for service.

Rainman
By Rainman

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

It is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned there are a lot of vehicles out but this one is the best.

Favorite Features

CD Tape Tempature control

Suggested Improvements

none