2000 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Versatile 4WD SUV That Rocks!
By AirportDave on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had our 2000 Explorer for nearly two years, and we really love it. It's very comfortable on the highway, and very capable off-road; we use ours regularly to get to a Wyoming cabin at the end of a seriously rough, four mile 4-low climb. Even with four people and a big load, it's great. Drive it slowly and correctly in 4-low and it does awesome. Although power was somewhat disappointing orginally, a 2.5" Dynomax cat-back exhaust and K&N cold air intake cured that. Overall, we love ours and plan to keep it a long time!

No More Fords for me, thanks
By SMG401 on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The Explorer has excellent features and options and is very comfortable to ride, but there are major design problems with the 2000. Way too much lean around corners, a stutter skip when hitting bumps at what would be reasonable speeds in other vehicles, broken motor in the rear wiper, grinding noise in the front end that the dealer "does not hear" and an annoying rattle in the dash are among my experiences.

2000 Ford XLS
By P.L. Eased on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV

Overall pleased with FordXLS performance. Rides somewhat hard.Overall handles well. Steering somewhat over sensitive giving a truck- like response. Had series of problems with electrical system governing dash warning lights,( ABS, Air bag and engine). Took World technicians three extended repair visits to finally solve problem. Finish on one of luggage racks excessively worn. Ford is hedging on repairing/replacing.Reported prior to warranty expiration.

I love this car
By one happy ford owner on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is by far one of the most comfortable car i have ever ridden in. The power seats make my rather tall body fit into the car like a glove. I bought the car used with 45K on it, and have no idea why the original owners didnt keep it. The cargo space and the turning radious are supprisingly large,seeing as it is the 2door sport model. i love this car, and reccomend it to any one.

Traded the Mustang
By azure eyes on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I got my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport earlier this month when I traded my 1998 Ford Mustang in for it. I needed much more room for my things, with being an art major in school, and a musician. I liked how the Explorer Sport looked rugged and tough-not weak and flimsy like other SUV's. This one works great for people with busy lifestyles, with things to do and stuff to carry. It's fun to pile all of your friends into the Explorer and head out to the beach, or mountains, with the windows down and radio up. It's very fun to drive- I get a lot of compliments on this vehicle.

Ford Explorer
By John J. Smith on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I normly by a new vehical every couple years but I enjoy this explorer to much to get rid of it. Its ride on the highway is very good,off road is rough.Driving this in the winter is great. The automatic 4 wheel drive was a great invention.

Gotten A Bad Wrap
By sjw on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle new and it has only broken down once $70). I had a problem with an oil leak/transmission fluid one the 1st day. After dealing with the Regional Rep. it was repaired, the price of the Quality Care Program was refunded, the Quality Care services were honored, and the warranty of the repair was extended. Not a good way to start, but things have been fine since. At 68,000 miles the brakes have not been replaced, but will needed soon. I have been looking at new vehicles with great incentive rates-but I just can't let go of this vehicle. Nothing else has the same comfort/bells and whistles as this vehicle.

2000 Explorer Limited
By abuttry on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Excellent drive and ride. Very reliable. V8 loves gas.

Explorer of the Service Dept
By Jetfan16 on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Leased a 2000 XLS after our 6 week old mustang caught on fire. The truck was nice looking at the time & we wanted a truck so we went for it. Update- we just returned the truck 4 months early after numerous problems: 1. transmission shot after 15,000 miles 2. check engine light on after two service jobs 3. gages didnt work until truck was on for 15-20 mins 4. averaged 10-12 miles to the gallon with the small V6 (god only knows how the V-8 is) Funny thing is ford admitted that the quality of Explorer wasn't good until 2002 Model. Enough said- Got a Chrysler Minivan

I always wanted an Explorer
By Fergie on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

great for hauling family around, fire wood in the back, and beating up the woods in S. Indiana.