Used 2000 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Love this little truck!
By azgirl

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

Bought this truck used with 70k miles on it. It has been a champ. I have only had to replace the fuel pump in 6 years of owning it. It has 153k on it now and it's still going strong. Made me a believer in Fords. I really love this little truck. I have the 2 door model, and even after the surprise of a baby, the roominess has served me well. Great car for around town, could do with better gas mileage, but on the highway it does OK. Really the most reliable car I have ever owned. Would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

Has power and get up and go. Great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holder back from the stick shift. Make the gas mileage in town better.

I love it!
By Tracy

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

This is by far the best vehicle I've had. It looks great, it's the perfect size, and it's really great on gas! If you're looking for a small SUV I would highly recommend this one!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, comfortable seats, great A/C, sidesteps

Suggested Improvements

Better shocks! It's like being in a lowrider!

It does what is can
By rustygray

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I bought mine used from a dealer. I got a great deal, and the vehicle has been solid, fun to drive, and it starts daily, and with better tires and new shocks, it handles pretty well . But it is an SUV not a sports car, so as with any high centered vehicle, driver responsibility is a must. Mine is a 5 speed, and easy to toss around, slide sideways, and fun in the mud and dirt. Keep the oil changed, rotate tires, and air filter every 3k miles, should be okay.

Favorite Features

All around vehicle, can get it dirty, haul kayaks. bikes or a small trailer, handles trails, and it's paid for.

Suggested Improvements

None , it's a 2000, any new models are completely different.

Why did I buy this? The Worst
By msqvc513

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

First complaint is the two doors and how you have to get out to let people in and out there's no way around it. Kinda stinks when it's raining you know? Then you gotta be a bit of a contortionist to get back there and out, and they don't give you much space for this. Crummy little windows in the back make you claustrophobic. Okay and THE GAS MILEAGE is horrendous. That car eats better than I do! The rusty side steps, it's just unacceptable and embarrassing. It's stuffy in there, no way around using the air vent and the A/C and heat are always either freezing or baking you alive. The roof rack paint is peeling. What else? The rusty drums that had to be replaced at 50k miles, the way it stalls in the cold.

I hate my Exploder!
By jonesthai

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I have taken this excuse of a SUV into the dealer 12 times under warranty (that's including 3 recalls)! Door ajar light has been "fixed" three times and still comes on to this day. All problems include transmission, rear window, rear window washer, tires, ball joint, knocking engine noise (dealer said this was normal!), starter, rusty step bar, etc. I will never buy another Ford, anything owned by Ford, or anything that looks like a Ford again! Please do yourself a favor and look at another company besides Ford.

Favorite Features

It hasn't exploded yet!?

Suggested Improvements

Benchmark Toyota and how they do everything.