2000 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
KEEP OIL CHANGED EVERY 4K miles and TIRES ROTATED
By woodinva on 02/23/14 04:26 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We are original owners of this car being our 2nd Eddie Bauer Ford EXPLORER 4X4 . Wife uses it as a commuter vehicle, I get it when anything is wrong with it....lol. We have 326k miles on the car. She commutes 30 miles daily 4 miles city 26 miles highway daily with vehicle. We got 350k miles out of the previous generation car before someone hit it and totaled it. You can get good mileage out of these cars if you dutifully maintain them. Husband has Ford Explorer Sport Trac for work around the farm and grounds. We also own VOLVO sedan Maintain these vehicles and they will last as long as we have had them. find a good mechanic after you have finished your first 100k with dealer service.

Will always have one in my stable of vehicles
By johnnyg1015 on 02/04/14 10:56 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I recently purchased a 2000 Eddie Bauer Edition to replace a 1998 XLT AWD model that I gave to my parents in their mid 60's. First let me say that unless you buy the 5.0 version, all bets are off with the engine. The ford 4.0 was marginal at best. The 5.0 saw duty in the Mustang, Crown Vic, Thunderbird, and host of other cars. The engine will last well over 250,000 miles if you just change the oil every 3000 miles. I am the 3rd owner of this vehicle and it rides almost brand new. It has 125,000 miles and the paint and leather are a solid 8 out of 10. The back up alarm, heated seats, 6 disc cd, and all the steering wheel controls work flawlessly.

Bad....Bad...Bad.,:(
By ashleypetty93 on 02/11/13 15:33 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I had the 2000 Ford Explorer, I was all great when first got it...but after a while anything and every thing could go wrong:/....The space was great but the SUV is a hazard...The o2 sensor was very bad in it and we changed everything we could...but nothing(doom doom doom) The Explorer would die on us when ever it felt like it wanted to...I dont recommed this SUV..Thanks:) But it is a very bad car dont buy...and gas just sucks up on it..

impressive for $2500
By pklassen on 12/21/12 20:21 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Eddie bauer in 2011 with 210 000kms on it for $2500, its mostly for my wife to haul around the kids BUT ive used it several times to haul my mustang on a double axle 18ft car trailer, i have even pulled a full sized jeep grand cherokee, and it pulled it very nicely. The fellow i bought it off of had clearly neglected a lot of maintenance for a while, but after i spent some weekends with it in the garage, it runs and drives amazing. Great on long trips, great for pulling with (i have pulled over 6000lbs of trailer weight), and great in the snow or a little off-road fun. very reliable, and great bang for the buck. average 18mpg mixed, have gotten up to 24mph on the highway at best.

Too many problems to list, buy anything else!
By jimbo28max on 12/14/12 03:40 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I am sure that any positive review is from a Ford dealer or someone who has an interest in selling one. Because this car is probably the biggest pile of junk ever built. The biggest problem is that the dealer cant even fix them. I am on my third transmission. If you look online you will see that they all have the same known problem. I get a random check engine light that comes back as "bad shift solenoids". Dealer changer shift solenoids . and it was not the problem. Shifting problem misteriously went away for 1 yr and is now back. In true FORD fashion nerf bars rusted and literally fell off of the car, EGR rusted through and caused all kinds of problems, bad mass airflow sensor, etc

Great SUV
By edwnek3 on 11/09/12 22:42 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Explorer. The first being a 96 Mountaineer. The Explorer 4.0 has much better gas milage the the Mountaineer 5.0.

Great reliable car!
By drew72 on 09/24/12 12:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall this has been a great car. We've had our explorer for almost 10 years, and we bought it used. It's going on 230,000 Miles now, with the original engine still running strong. We've only had to get the transmission changed once, and other than that it has been nothing but your regular maintenance. This is a great car for Michigan winters when you're driving through a half foot of snow and ice in the mornings, and has an amazing a/c for the summer. The tinted windows are nice as well, and there's a lot of room in it compared to other cars the same size as it. This is definatley no the car for you if you are worried about your gas milage though, i average around 17-18 mpg

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0L Shocking Still
By ewjayester on 08/13/12 21:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this vehicle used, after my Toyota Land Cruiser was totaled. I wanted another SUV/Truck that I could use as a work horse. I had no faith in the vehicle at all, none what so ever. I drove it hard and still do, I didn't wash it, wasn't thinking about its maintenance, and the thing continued to, if I must say, (EXPLORE). No issues with any type of upkeep or problems of service lights, strange noises, anything falling apart, which was my fore thought of Fords all my life. Needless to say it just hit 140k and purrs like a kitten. The engine is super strong, which is one reason my title of the review states shocking, and still going strong. I'm now a believer in Ford. A GT40 is next.

One Phrase: The Best
By bosshog85 on 07/31/12 12:59 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this truck as the 2nd owner with 130K miles on it. The 5.0L V8 engine is a huge plus and the transmission shifts smoothly still. I still do notice the common problems in it like the radio display on the Mach stereo system going out and the rear wiper only working about 50% of the time, but they're only minor problems. The leather seats have really held out well over the years and is built to last! The premium Mach stereo system is definitely a plus with the nice bass it booms out :] Probably going to run this truck until it dies. This truck is definitely a great example of Ford's amazing quality and superiority. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

My first Ford
By atwizted1 on 05/31/12 09:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought mine in June of 2008 with 84,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner and take extremely good care of it. Maintenance is always done religiously on time. It now has 145,000 miles on it and the only thing it needed was the oxygen sensors replaced. NEVER has broke down on me. Only issue I have is the rear wiper motor is stripped out where the arm is inserted into it and the rear window hinges have stripped out at the screws. I have taken it off-road twice, once in sand, and once up and down some decently rocky short hills and it climbed like a champ...still no mechanical issues! I'll buy another one if gas economy is better. It's an XLT V8 AWD. Prefer to choose 2 WD or 4 WD