Used 2000 Ford Explorer Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Happy Owner
By Ron Williams

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

I bought my 2000 Explorer Limited just before the intro of the 2001. I average 18.4 in town and 20 highway and have 135,000 miles on it. I went thru the tire recall and a couple other minor recalls, but have throughly enjoyed this SUV. It's been garage kept and looks nearly as good today as the day a bought it. I really take care of my SUV as it is my second most expensive investment after my house. I'm not happy that the value has dropped so badly, but that's American for you. I'll drive this thing until either it or I dies. If I had my time to do over, I probably would have gotten the AWD.

Favorite Features

The cargo area is the largest in this mid-size range.

Suggested Improvements

I'm only 5'10'' so it's not a problem for me, but the driver's seat is as far back as possible. If I was 6', I'd feel cramped.

Better with age
By steve

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

I sold my 1999 Miata (sigh) - needed more room, haul a trailer, etc. I purchased my Limited with 87,000 miles on the clock. After replacing the original shocks and doing a tune-up we loaded it up and headed on a 6,000 mile vacation. Once I got used to the very truckish handling (a shock after the "your thoughts are my command" demeanor of the Miata), I learned to love this vehicle. Now at 108,000 miles, I would rate this as (gasp!) one of the most trouble free and usable vehicles I've ever owned. It pulls down a very respectable 17 city/22 hwy fuel economy and handles any chore I throw at it. I also bought a 1998 with a V8. The SOHC V6 performed just as well with double the fuel economy.

Favorite Features

I love the MACH sound system and the steering wheel controls, the heated seats are nice in the winter and the AC does a super job. Oh, and did I mention great gas mileage?

Suggested Improvements

A little wider footprint and lower center of gravity (as per the 2002 model) and a little less nervous suspension would make this a well rounded vehicle.

Why I love my Ford Explorer Limited V8
By look171

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

This is my second Limited Edition Ford Explorer. I kept the first one for ten years. I have never had to do more than change the oil. I traded in my 1990 Limited for the V8 in 2000. The V8 made the car more even fun to drive. I even test drove the BMW X5 and still chose my Explorer. I believe my car is, flat out, the best SUV on the market and no where near the most expensive. I have driven this car for fourteen years and it still puts a smile on my face too this day!

Favorite Features

The V8 engine, Comfort, Reliability, Maintenance Plan, Stereo, Cargo Space,worry free parking,price,size,handling,auto dim mirrors and compass. Trip computer and ability to gauge fuel range precisely to the mile.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior plastic moulding and Interior plastic wood trim could be better. Improve fuel economy. If you had a hybrid I'd buy it. Design the car to engage other vehicles protective structures. I don't want people in regular cars afraid of being hit by my SUV.

2000 Limited
By wsws

I enjoy my 2000 Explorer LTD V6 4X4 very much,

Favorite Features

Reverse sensors, computer info center, steering wheel controls, rear a/c and audio,

Suggested Improvements

Ride and handling!!! PAINT QUALITY, more horsepower would be nice

Sexplorer
By mibman

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

Nice car. Drives like a truck

Favorite Features

heated sets and mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Needs more internal storage space in drivers section