Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Shockingly Good
By Bob Coviello

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this vehicle while hoping to find a good used 4Runner of the same vintage, but this one-owner SUV appeared with 166,000mi with a nearly new remanufactured engine (owner felt a new engine was better value than replacing both head gaskets, one of which was leaking) that looked exceptionally good, outside (not even a door ding) and with an interior that looked amazing, showing no real wear at all. A comparable 4Runner of the same mileage and year would have cost at least $2000 more than the $3300 I paid for this V8 AWD Limited that cost $41,000+ new (I have the window sticker). If I am careful I can get 18 city and 24 highway (Interstate) which I consider nothing short of outstanding for a V8 SUV. A former 6cyl Cherokee I once had only managed 16 city and 20 highway. The AWD with limited slip rear differential model does not have a 4WD Low transfer case, so I expected nothing off-road, but I easily followed a friend w/ a 4X4 4Runner through Arizona backcountry that looked impossible for an AWD, but the Explorer easily went up no drama and with zero wheel spin on any tire, whereas the 4Runner was skipping and intermittently slipping one tire or another. Even w/out a low range, it climbed with little throttle, and the temp gauge never moved. I don't plan going on expeditions with the vehicle, but I was amazed at how it did in conditions I thought it would fail at. Overall, given its high chassis mileage especially, it's tight and rattle-free and has been extremely reliable (I have the service records since new), and except for the head gasket problem, only the front shocks and upper ball joints were replaced (except for normal wear items like brake pads, wiper blades, etc.).

Fantastic Vehicle for Family Fun
By TrailThunder

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this vehicle used and currently have 130,000 miles on it. It needs a little front end work right now, but nothing that isn't expected at the 130,000 mile mark. The Explorer handles great in winter weather and also does surprisingly well off road for an AWD vehicle. I am an offroad hobbyist and use this to tow both a Jeep and a camper at various times. There is plenty of room for me, my wife and our three kids. I am most impressed with the ride quality while towing. It tows my 3000 lb camper like there is nothing there. We do have a class III towing hitch which helps. The 5.0 motor is awesome! Love that engine. Overall I love this vehicle and have been very impressed with its durability and reliability. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Every vehicle requires maintenance with aging. Just do the maintenance and you will drive an Explorer for a long time.

KEEP OIL CHANGED EVERY 4K miles and TIRES ROTATED
By woodinva

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We are original owners of this car being our 2nd
Eddie Bauer Ford EXPLORER 4X4 . Wife uses it as a commuter vehicle, I
get it when anything is wrong with it....lol. We have 326k miles on the car. She commutes 30 miles daily
4 miles city 26 miles highway daily with vehicle. We got 350k
miles out of the previous generation car
before someone hit it and totaled it.
You can get good mileage out of these cars if you dutifully maintain them. Husband has Ford Explorer Sport Trac
for work around the farm and grounds. We also own VOLVO sedan Maintain these vehicles and they will last as long as we have had them. find a good mechanic after you have finished your first 100k with dealer service.

4 wheel drive switchability on dash. Aerodynamic Good in adverse conditions,Snow,Mud

REAR WIPER SYSTEM - motor failed 3 rimes GREASE FITTINGS ON all BALL JOINTS- front end.

Will always have one in my stable of vehicles
By johnnyg1015

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I recently purchased a 2000 Eddie Bauer Edition to replace a 1998 XLT AWD model that I gave to my parents in their mid 60's. First let me say that unless you buy the 5.0 version, all bets are off with the engine. The ford 4.0 was marginal at best. The 5.0 saw duty in the Mustang, Crown Vic, Thunderbird, and host of other cars. The engine will last well over 250,000 miles if you just change the oil every 3000 miles.

I am the 3rd owner of this vehicle and it rides almost brand new. It has 125,000 miles and the paint and leather are a solid 8 out of 10. The back up alarm, heated seats, 6 disc cd, and all the steering wheel controls work flawlessly.

Back up parking sensors heated seats digital HVAC controls Steering wheel controls for HVAC/Radio/Cruise control 16" rims and tires voice message recorder on visor superb sound system with 6 cd changer JBL speakers keyless entry on door comes in very handy when you don't wanna carry keys and can lock them inside (beach, gym)

These trucks as are most Ford trucks are notorious for tearing up ball joints and tie rod ends. They also seem to burn through hub bearings faster than any other truck Ive owned. The biggest plus is that 5.0 engine that seems to be insanely smooth and capable of running for long periods, under heavy loads, and has a ton of aftermarket support. You can buy headers, intake manifolds, superchargers, and just about any chrome do-dad for it.

Bad....Bad...Bad.,:(
By ashleypetty93

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I had the 2000 Ford Explorer, I was all great when first got it...but after a while anything and every thing could go wrong:/....The space was great but the SUV is a hazard...The o2 sensor was very bad in it and we changed everything we could...but nothing(doom doom doom) The Explorer would die on us when ever it felt like it wanted to...I dont recommed this SUV..Thanks:) But it is a very bad car dont buy...and gas just sucks up on it..