Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

KEEP OIL CHANGED EVERY 4K miles and TIRES ROTATED
By woodinva

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We are original owners of this car being our 2nd Eddie Bauer Ford EXPLORER 4X4 . Wife uses it as a commuter vehicle, I get it when anything is wrong with it....lol. We have 326k miles on the car. She commutes 30 miles daily 4 miles city 26 miles highway daily with vehicle. We got 350k miles out of the previous generation car before someone hit it and totaled it. You can get good mileage out of these cars if you dutifully maintain them. Husband has Ford Explorer Sport Trac for work around the farm and grounds. We also own VOLVO sedan Maintain these vehicles and they will last as long as we have had them. find a good mechanic after you have finished your first 100k with dealer service.

4 wheel drive switchability on dash. Aerodynamic Good in adverse conditions,Snow,Mud

REAR WIPER SYSTEM - motor failed 3 rimes GREASE FITTINGS ON all BALL JOINTS- front end.

Will always have one in my stable of vehicles
By johnnyg1015

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I recently purchased a 2000 Eddie Bauer Edition to replace a 1998 XLT AWD model that I gave to my parents in their mid 60's. First let me say that unless you buy the 5.0 version, all bets are off with the engine. The ford 4.0 was marginal at best. The 5.0 saw duty in the Mustang, Crown Vic, Thunderbird, and host of other cars. The engine will last well over 250,000 miles if you just change the oil every 3000 miles. I am the 3rd owner of this vehicle and it rides almost brand new. It has 125,000 miles and the paint and leather are a solid 8 out of 10. The back up alarm, heated seats, 6 disc cd, and all the steering wheel controls work flawlessly.

Back up parking sensors heated seats digital HVAC controls Steering wheel controls for HVAC/Radio/Cruise control 16" rims and tires voice message recorder on visor superb sound system with 6 cd changer JBL speakers keyless entry on door comes in very handy when you don't wanna carry keys and can lock them inside (beach, gym)

These trucks as are most Ford trucks are notorious for tearing up ball joints and tie rod ends. They also seem to burn through hub bearings faster than any other truck Ive owned. The biggest plus is that 5.0 engine that seems to be insanely smooth and capable of running for long periods, under heavy loads, and has a ton of aftermarket support. You can buy headers, intake manifolds, superchargers, and just about any chrome do-dad for it.

Bad....Bad...Bad.,:(
By ashleypetty93

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I had the 2000 Ford Explorer, I was all great when first got it...but after a while anything and every thing could go wrong:/....The space was great but the SUV is a hazard...The o2 sensor was very bad in it and we changed everything we could...but nothing(doom doom doom) The Explorer would die on us when ever it felt like it wanted to...I dont recommed this SUV..Thanks:) But it is a very bad car dont buy...and gas just sucks up on it..

impressive for $2500
By pklassen

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Eddie bauer in 2011 with 210 000kms on it for $2500, its mostly for my wife to haul around the kids BUT ive used it several times to haul my mustang on a double axle 18ft car trailer, i have even pulled a full sized jeep grand cherokee, and it pulled it very nicely. The fellow i bought it off of had clearly neglected a lot of maintenance for a while, but after i spent some weekends with it in the garage, it runs and drives amazing. Great on long trips, great for pulling with (i have pulled over 6000lbs of trailer weight), and great in the snow or a little off-road fun. very reliable, and great bang for the buck. average 18mpg mixed, have gotten up to 24mph on the highway at best.

The 5.0 pushrod engine is older than dirt, not the most fuel efficient motor out there but provides great power, torque, and is super reliable. I am also impressed with the AWD transfer case, i thought it was going to suck, but its really great for daily driving and snow situations, and the wife loves it. the interior is also really nice for the money. Heated leather seats, sunroof, and the sound system is pretty decent.

add a leafs to fix the dreaded explorer sag.

Too many problems to list, buy anything else!
By jimbo28max

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I am sure that any positive review is from a Ford dealer or someone who has an interest in selling one. Because this car is probably the biggest pile of junk ever built. The biggest problem is that the dealer cant even fix them. I am on my third transmission. If you look online you will see that they all have the same known problem. I get a random check engine light that comes back as "bad shift solenoids". Dealer changer shift solenoids . and it was not the problem. Shifting problem misteriously went away for 1 yr and is now back. In true FORD fashion nerf bars rusted and literally fell off of the car, EGR rusted through and caused all kinds of problems, bad mass airflow sensor, etc

There is nothing good to say about this piece of junk.

Learn something from Toyota. I have the same same year Toyota with twice as many mile and it is mint compared to the Ford. It hasn't had one problem. All original components at 250,000 miles.