1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Still Going

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Sport 2dr SUV (4.0L V6 5-speed Manual)

Still Going
By magnum on

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Funny, I feel like several of these posters are driving my Explorer. I'm at 175k miles. Radio display went out at about 50k miles. Rear wiper works maybe one month out of the year. Tranny still good but starting to show its age. Occasionally it won't start. I believe its a short in the fuel pump sensor. If I wait about 3-5 minutes, for some reason she'll start right up. Driver door handle broke and entire locking and handle configuration had to be redone. All in all, I've never put much money in this thing. It handles snow with absolute ease. Gas mileage averages 18.4 city and highway. For some reason, some car critics slam the explorer, but mine has been a darn good car overall.

Front seats are super comfortable to me. Rear seats are pretty terrible.

I wish I had LATCH for car seats, but then again it's a '99. My truck also rattles in idle. It's done it since I bought it. No reason to spend the money to fix it, so I've lived with it. But it is annoyingly loud in idle.