I guess I got a good one
By 99Limited on
1999 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD
For the most part, and probably since I have the extended warranty, my 99 Ltd with 4.10 LS and rear load leveling (air shocks) has served me very well over three years now. Sure, it's been in the shop, no more than my Integra, Camry or others I've had. Most problems have been with minor items dying such as the rear wiper motor (2x), rear gate shocks (2x), door locks not working from remote and front brake grinding (dealer probably over-tightened the lugs when rotating wheels). I recently replaced ALL fluids ($400US) at 40k and it runs better than new. Trust me, it works and will probably extend the life of your "Exploder".
Favorite Features
The limited slip differential, towing package, air ride, SOHC 4.0L kicks *ss with premium fuel. The premium extended warranty is strongly recommended to anyone considering buying a new one.
Suggested Improvements
Am considering "add a leaf" to stiffen the ride. Ford should do this out of the box. This truck was overpriced, glad I got it at dealer cost when new with zero financing. There are better deals out there now (2003).