Used 1999 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great Car
By Pete Murany

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased new; after 124,000 miles I have not touched the motor. It is a V6 and have never added oil between changes. Except for replacing tires, brakes, and front ball joints the car is all original. It is sad to see the rating on not just Ford, but all American vehicles. I have had 6 Ford vehicles and 2 Thunderbirds 89 & 95. Both over 125,000 miles. 2 Town Cars, 92 was sold at 135,000; the 98 I still have with 93,000 miles. The V8 does use oil, but the V6 on one of T-bird's and on the Explorer never used oil.

Good strong motor, good car. too bad they get a bum rap.

Get the V8 to quit using oil. I had a 1954 Ford V8 and that never used oil. I also still have a 1967 Olds V8 100,000 original miles, never used any oil.

solid dependable vehicle
By chris

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

We've had this car about five years and really had very few problems with it. We call it the 'snow beast' as its awd is fantastic in the snow. I've had a couple other 4wd trucks and this is just much more competent in poor conditions. It has the 302 V8 and can pull a trailer without complaining and is comfortable to ride in and drive. It beats you up at the pump, but it averages about 17mpg in mixed driving, so it's not much worse than your average minivan, suv, or pickup truck without awd! It beats the Jeep Cherokee I had prior to this by about 4mpg and it had the 4.0l I6 with part time 4wd,

302 V8, steering wheel climate control & radio buttons, great AWD system, very reliable.

Improve gas mileage? None really. Pretty satisfied with the vehicle.

love my Explorer
By balger

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my XLT Explorer new in '99 and am now going to sell it after 128K miles. I have never had any major problems. I changed the thermostat once and the alternator once, but $800 in repairs over almost 8 years isn't so bad. The ride is bumpy. The power locks are about worn out and the radio randomly switches to CD randomly, but it's an old SUV. What do you expect?

Room for cargo and myself. Easy in/out in front and back. Rugged good looks. High ride. The keypad on the door is the best. I lock my keys in the truck at a ball game and use the keypad to get back in. That way I don't have to lug keys around all day. It's great!

I'm only getting rid of it because I want a fancier look to drive people around in. I will miss it greatly.

GreatCar
By Fordfan

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV

One of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Very reliable, only two failures in 95,000 miles; the radio display and a $100 EGR part.

Great power w/ the 5.0L V-8 and still get 18 MPG overall. Very comfortable power seats.

Stiff ride, much improved by the IRS in later models (I also have a 2006).

American Dream?
By jminichino

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought the car used at 19,000 miles and now have 130,000 miles on it. It has been a rough 130,000 miles. I change the oil every 5,000 miles and rotate tires. Thermostat has gone out twice, electrical system shorted out, causing $1,000 dollars in repairs, and my windshield wiper motor went out. Repairs keep adding up and I don't find it surprising that Ford is going bankrupt. I would love to buy another Ford, but I doubt that will ever happen again. American car companies need to invest in quality and durability or they are done for.

Body style.

Reliability. Gas mileage. Quality.

• SUV