1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great SUV
By JBL4 on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Explorer new. I have been extremely impressed. The 5.0L V8 puts out a good amount of power, although it get terrible gas mileage (11mpg/16mpg). Perfect size and very manuverable. Comfortable on the highway, but feels every bump in the city. Very reliable except for on very cold days- Fords don't like the cold. No problems until about 60K miles. We had to replace the sparkplugs- $200. Overall, great car for the price.

1999 Ford Explorer 2 Dr. Sport
By LUVMYSPT on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

First of all this SUV is loaded with virtually everything you can put on one. I love this vehicle. I have large, but not illegal, Michelin tires on it. I can see all that is occurring a long distance ahead of me. I am 6' 3" tal and weight 230 Lbs. and I am comfortable in the vehicle, except I cant wear a hat. This is one of the nicest and safest vehicles I have ever owned. I have only 45,000 mile on it, and there is hardly a mark on it anywhere inside or out.

I Recommend this Truck
By C-Can on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

GOOD LOOKING AND EASY TO HANDLE. WIFE LOVED IT. THE HEIGHT FROM THE GROUND GIVES GOOD CLEAREACE IS JUST RIGHT FOR NY POT HOLES. THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE WIPERS WHEN YOU HIT A BUMP THE WIPERS WOULD START AND WOULD BE VERY DIFFICULT TO TURN OFF. I HAVE BEEN TO TWO DIFFERENT DEALERS AND IT IS STILL A PROBLEM.

Pretty reliable
By PDXRaiders on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Some minor things have gone wrong but the dealership has replaced and repaired with no problems. I have this unusual smell coming from the air vents during the summer. I tried to have the dealer find the source but it seems to be water condensation from the A/C and they sprayed it with air freshener but it stinks REAL BAD after, so suggest NOT doing that!!! Other than that, It's been a great truck for my wife but we have since upgraded to a new MDX for the upgraded creature comforts. I'll use this for hauling and commuting to work.

got 2
By Timothy77 on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

bought one of the explorer for my daughter liked it so much I bought one for my son if we have no problems I would like one for myself Tim

Reliable, amazing in snow
By Altimac on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this truck right before the new model designs came out. Bad move - the resale value dropped through the floor. Other than that, this truck has been extremely reliable, especially useful in the Minnesota winters. Very fun to drive in snow, and the V8 really gets her on the highway quick. Only troubles in last 3 years were the spark plug wires had to be replaced, front washer squirters got weak, and the rear wiper stopped working temporarily.

First SUV
By Chrisava7 on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This is my first truck!! Since i got it i loved it!! The only problem is that after i got it i had some problems with the transmission. But since it was certified by ford it was all covered. I have done over 5,000 miles in two months and i know that it will be able to keep up with my crazy driving habits

explorer xlt
By campngirl90 on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has had multiple problem with it's front wheels. Have had to have several repairs with all of them being quite costly. I have had the vehicle to several Ford service centers, and have generally not been happy with service recieved. Fuel econmy is terrible, when I purchaced the vechile the window sticker siad aprox 20/MPG. The best I have ever recived was 15/MPG.

Good SUV
By Thomas69696969 on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is my very first car, and i only got my licence 3 months ago. I love the cars exterior design(its a lot better than the new ones), and it is the best small SUV on the market. The interior is good. The towing package is great as well. The only problems I have had is the transmission is flaky.

My bad investment
By joe blow on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I was getting out of a 98 Mustang when I got this suv. It hasn't failed me except for once. I don't have too many complaints except for the driver's seat has broken, the rear windshield wiper doesn't work, and the middle console broke easily. It gets crappy gas mileage of about 14 city and 20 hgwy. I like my Explorer, but I don't love it.