1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
bad ball joints, cam tensioner etc
By boatman188 on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it used in 1999, with 3000 miles. Great veh. for towing our boat. But disappointed with Ford. No help with costs of replacing auto cam chain tensioner at 40K mi., ball joints both sides at 60k mi.,and intake manifold gaskets. Ford did provide new tires of course to replace the Firestones. Why such poor front suspention joints?

don't buy it
By batman2327 on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV

This vehicle is not very good. It is underpowered and has many little problems. Everything from not being able to keep the wheels aligned even when dirving carefully to the rear windshield wiper working occasionally. The inside feels cheap and plasticy and the resale is absolutely horrible.

Good, Reliable Transportation
By Critical_level on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I had originally traded a mustang gt for this because I needed more space and the ability to get through the snow. It ahs been a very reliable vehicle and has never let me down or stranded me. It has alot more room than the grand cherokee and blazer. It has decent power and has a decent ride (remember its a truck not a car). I would recomend this to anyone looking for a reliable and trouble free four wheel drive vehicle.

I love my Sport
By jackmichael on 05/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is a fun car to drive. It's 4wd performance (on the beach and on back roads) is excellent, even with not very aggressive tire tread. Even highway performance is pretty good. Only complaint is that ride tends to yaw too much, but this isn't surprising for a relatively short wheelbase car. All in all, the title says it.

Eddie
By bbitter on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Nice car for the size.

great SUV
By nno on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new, now has 92,000 miles, almost no problems with vehicle. Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Used to tow a camper since purchased.

Love It
By M. Christlieb on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love the Explorer. For the most part no major problems, knock on wood, just little things here and there. Nice performance, pretty good handling considering, and great look.

Reliable Transporation
By TonyH on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been a reliable family vehicle. The only problems with it were covered under warranty. We are extremely happy with the Battlefield Ford of Manassas, VA for all our service work.

Awesome SUV
By Krshaker15 on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I used to own a Saturn and I must say, buying my 1999 explorer was the best move I've made. Not only is 4x4 and quicker then my saturn, but I feel safer in it and it drives great.

Great SUV
By JBL4 on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Explorer new. I have been extremely impressed. The 5.0L V8 puts out a good amount of power, although it get terrible gas mileage (11mpg/16mpg). Perfect size and very manuverable. Comfortable on the highway, but feels every bump in the city. Very reliable except for on very cold days- Fords don't like the cold. No problems until about 60K miles. We had to replace the sparkplugs- $200. Overall, great car for the price.