Used 1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Poor fuel economy
By Mi

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I had to replace the engine head although there was coolant in the tank. Fuel economy is terrible. It now barely makes about 13 mpg.

Favorite Features

Ride is comfortable. Off road is good.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy should be certainly improved

Loving it
By scooter

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Handles great, good turnning radius, not much of a blind spot, low maintenance

Favorite Features

4wd

Suggested Improvements

Tire jack is not secure, rattles and bumps rear tail light assembly causing brake light bulb to go bad

Still Going
By Chazmo

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Other reviewers and friends of mine have "knocked" the Ford Explorer but my Explorer has been very good to me. It is a rugged, well-built vehicle that has proven reliable over the years.

Favorite Features

The keyless entry that allows me to enter my entry code on the driver's side door. Excellent fog lamps. Very roomy with plenty of storage compartments.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the quality of the interior knobs/controls. My steering wheel cruise control "tabs" have snapped off making those controls just hang. Cigarette lighter broke.

Great Car
By Pete Murany

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased new; after 124,000 miles I have not touched the motor. It is a V6 and have never added oil between changes. Except for replacing tires, brakes, and front ball joints the car is all original. It is sad to see the rating on not just Ford, but all American vehicles. I have had 6 Ford vehicles and 2 Thunderbirds 89 & 95. Both over 125,000 miles. 2 Town Cars, 92 was sold at 135,000; the 98 I still have with 93,000 miles. The V8 does use oil, but the V6 on one of T-bird's and on the Explorer never used oil.

Favorite Features

Good strong motor, good car. too bad they get a bum rap.

Suggested Improvements

Get the V8 to quit using oil. I had a 1954 Ford V8 and that never used oil. I also still have a 1967 Olds V8 100,000 original miles, never used any oil.

solid dependable vehicle
By chris

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

We've had this car about five years and really had very few problems with it. We call it the 'snow beast' as its awd is fantastic in the snow. I've had a couple other 4wd trucks and this is just much more competent in poor conditions. It has the 302 V8 and can pull a trailer without complaining and is comfortable to ride in and drive. It beats you up at the pump, but it averages about 17mpg in mixed driving, so it's not much worse than your average minivan, suv, or pickup truck without awd! It beats the Jeep Cherokee I had prior to this by about 4mpg and it had the 4.0l I6 with part time 4wd,

Favorite Features

302 V8, steering wheel climate control & radio buttons, great AWD system, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage? None really. Pretty satisfied with the vehicle.