1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews 7

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Best auto I have ever owned
By goldilox on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Best auto ever owned...reliable...never once in the shop except for reg checkups.

NO problems so far
By BrockExplorer on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Although I've just recently purchased this vehilce, my parents purchased it brand new and we have never had a single problem other than regular scheduled maintainance. The vehicle has been great and I plan to drive it until it dies which I'm sure will be at least 200k, this is one of the 3 Fords my family owns, ( F-150, and Taurus) I'm proud of all my fords.

bad ball joints, cam tensioner etc
By boatman188 on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it used in 1999, with 3000 miles. Great veh. for towing our boat. But disappointed with Ford. No help with costs of replacing auto cam chain tensioner at 40K mi., ball joints both sides at 60k mi.,and intake manifold gaskets. Ford did provide new tires of course to replace the Firestones. Why such poor front suspention joints?

don't buy it
By batman2327 on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV

This vehicle is not very good. It is underpowered and has many little problems. Everything from not being able to keep the wheels aligned even when dirving carefully to the rear windshield wiper working occasionally. The inside feels cheap and plasticy and the resale is absolutely horrible.

Good, Reliable Transportation
By Critical_level on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I had originally traded a mustang gt for this because I needed more space and the ability to get through the snow. It ahs been a very reliable vehicle and has never let me down or stranded me. It has alot more room than the grand cherokee and blazer. It has decent power and has a decent ride (remember its a truck not a car). I would recomend this to anyone looking for a reliable and trouble free four wheel drive vehicle.

I love my Sport
By jackmichael on 05/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is a fun car to drive. It's 4wd performance (on the beach and on back roads) is excellent, even with not very aggressive tire tread. Even highway performance is pretty good. Only complaint is that ride tends to yaw too much, but this isn't surprising for a relatively short wheelbase car. All in all, the title says it.

Eddie
By bbitter on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Nice car for the size.

great SUV
By nno on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new, now has 92,000 miles, almost no problems with vehicle. Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Used to tow a camper since purchased.

Love It
By M. Christlieb on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love the Explorer. For the most part no major problems, knock on wood, just little things here and there. Nice performance, pretty good handling considering, and great look.

Reliable Transporation
By TonyH on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been a reliable family vehicle. The only problems with it were covered under warranty. We are extremely happy with the Battlefield Ford of Manassas, VA for all our service work.