1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
1999 Explorer XL 4x4
By fire2722 on 08/15/05 16:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall not a bad vehicle. Had very minimal problems with it. Poor gas mileage (14-16city), but to be expected with an suv. Under powered, pulling a double jet ski trailer it shifts down several times to keep up with its self. Seats are little uncomfortable. Ride is ok, not bad for size of wheelbase. No major problems mechanically. Rear wiper broke, headlight socket melted, power lock switch, and A/C leaks like most fords. Otherwise nothing broke. 75,000 now and havent replaced ball joints as most have, and havent had any transmission issues as most have. Have owned for little over 2 years and selling in a few days now for better fuel economy and comfort.

99 Explorer has been great!
By JMA on 06/01/05 07:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We have had little or no issues with our Ford Explorer. In fact my siblings have a few issues with their Honda Civic and Honda Odyssey while I have few in the six years I have my Explorer. It rides great, looks good, is easy to maintain, and handles very well for an SUV.

Review of 1999 Ford Explorer
By Aleta Walker on 04/15/05 19:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my car. Through all the SUV tales of rollovers and the Firestone tire issue we survived and love this car. Only shortcoming is the view and comfort of the back seat. Ford should narrow the front seat headrests for better back seat views. Thank goodness I'm usually the driver.

Never Again!
By RLGHDAVE on 03/29/05 16:08 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought used with 25k miles. Transmission (automatic) replaced with Ford rebuilt at 80K. Now at 140K transmission is failing again! This has turned me against Ford forever. Other downers: backseats very uncomfortable, rear seat belts torture passenger, poor city gas mileage, safety concerns with tipping over if tire failure, poor towing ability (UHaul won't even rent you a trailer), rear end wants to come around on gravel roads. Owning this vehicle for nearly 6 years has convinced me that I will NEVER AGAIN buy a Ford. My next vehicle will be a Toyota or Honda.

I hate Ford. No more American cars.
By gantnerg on 03/10/05 11:07 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This car was great until around 50,000 miles when the transmission started acting up. It surges between 2nd and 3rd gears. It still works with no repair but still surges. I can deal with that. But now at 65,000 miles I had to have the intake gasket replaced at a cool $1,000! I was even sort of ok with that; but now the 4WD HIGH and LOW lights are flashing. I am sick of trouble codes with this SUV!!! I knew I shouldn't have given up my Camry. Why can't American car makers build a reliable car like the Japanese?

Most Disappointing Vehicle I have owned
By Rob on 02/06/05 16:47 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Requires the most maintenance of any vehicle I have owned. Timing chain tensioner (twice), emission control pump, ball joints (all), intake manifold gaskets, transmission valve assembly, O2 sensors (twice), required new transmission at 94K, the list goes on ... Some of these were covered under warranty. FORD so far has been unwilling to back the transmission. I had the vehicle into a FORD dealer at least 5 times between 30k and 75K (when the extended warranty ran out) and every time I was told that it was OK. Transmission failed at 94K. Pretty poor for a vehicle that is used as a daily driver and only hauled a small aluminum boat on a handful of occasions. Will NEVER buy another FORD.

ver y reliable
By turlet on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in Deceber 01. I was a single 28 yr old guy at the time and wanted something that I thought would be cool. I bought the Louisville made Explorer. I loved it. Still do for the most part. However my new wife has inherited it. Which is fine, she drives only 5 minutes to work and with the 17mpg it gets. I can't afford to pay 2 dollar gas. We still drive it when we go places. It has been very reliable for me. I know a lot of people have had some problems. If you don't drive it like a bat out of hell and change the oil it will be fine. Besides normal maintenance not had the 1st problem

Meets my needs
By tnich on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Overall this has been a good car giving me the room and features I needed at a good price, however I hate the suspension which can't handle any hill or bump at an angle. Other issues have been rear wiper and radio LED which both work only occasionally.

Best auto I have ever owned
By goldilox on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Best auto ever owned...reliable...never once in the shop except for reg checkups.

NO problems so far
By BrockExplorer on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Although I've just recently purchased this vehilce, my parents purchased it brand new and we have never had a single problem other than regular scheduled maintainance. The vehicle has been great and I plan to drive it until it dies which I'm sure will be at least 200k, this is one of the 3 Fords my family owns, ( F-150, and Taurus) I'm proud of all my fords.