1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
I love my Eddie!
By WolfpackGirl on 05/01/06 03:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

This is a great SUV. Purchased it after getting tired of my sedan. I love the visibility and safety. The ride is comfortable, the seats feel like I'm sitting on a sofa. When I retire this one I will buy another!

Ford=Fix Or Repair Daily
By LBozeman on 03/13/06 16:45 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

We bought the truck new. The check engine light has come on 7 times. Now the engine needs to be replaced. We have put close to a $500 in repairs into this truck every year for the last 7 years. We had to replace tires after the Firestone recall, the truck has had a shake in it ever since. When we go over a bump in the road or our driveway, the truck rocks so bad I feel like I have whiplash. I will NEVER buy another Explorer again. I begged my husband not to buy this one, now look where we are!

Good vehicle
By cjweb on 03/13/06 07:49 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

My wife and I have owned this truck for several years and have about 90k miles on it now. It has been very reliable and easy to maintain. I had the the ball joints replaced at about 70k miles, as the steering seemed slightly vague on-center. That cured the problem completely. I also had the EGR valve replaced at about 75k miles, and I had one of the chips in the ignition key quit working one time, which required a new key. Aside from those three problems, it has been a joy to own. With the 302 V8, the fuel economy is about what you'd expect (14 city/18 hwy) but the AWD is fantastic in the snow. I've owned 4WD pickups and the Explorer is much more capable. I would recommend this vehicle.

Best Vehicle Ever!
By calicobobtail on 03/11/06 21:41 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I know you wont believe me, but this is the best vehicle we have ever had. It is approaching 175,000 miles with virtually NO major repairs. I commute 30 miles each way to work, never have been broken down, and no problems at all. I purchased at 90,000 miles. It is a little narrow in the front seating, so a large person would probably be uncomfortable. 4WD works awesome; the gas mileage is killing us though. We pull our horse trailer and also large hay wagons for our horses. It has the power to do it.

Ford Explorer XLT
By Peri_P_Laneta on 03/04/06 15:37 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new in 1999 and have put on only about 40,000 miles. Has been very reliable, although it did take 6 attempts before the dealer was able to fix the rear wiper motor. Has been fairly comfortable to drive. The controls are reasonably convenient to use and the driver's seat adjustment works pretty well. I'd buy it again.

6 plus years and still humming
By Gasburner on 02/27/06 21:28 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought a V8 XLT with the sport package brand new. Tows my 17' boat like it is not even back there. No real problems to speak of, except maybe poor quality of Ford service departments. The engine and transmission have been rock solid. I had some problems early on with the windshield wipers having a mind of there own. I also had the front ball joints go out at 50K. Everything fixed under (extended) warranty. At the rate I'm going, I don't think I'll get my money back (in repairs) for the extended warranty. All in all I have no regrets.

Ford Explorer XLS
By Jason on 01/12/06 19:43 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV

I have owned my Explorer for a year now and I actually like it. It's a 1999 XLS. I like the style of the XLS because it gives you the sporty look of the sport version in a four door. Although it is under powered on the highway with its OHV 4.0 V-6, it does well off road and with towing situations. Overall it is a good dependable truck but would fare better with the OHC engine or the v-8.

1999 Mistake
By Thomas Wolfe on 11/23/05 07:55 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV

Bought new. Transmission started to slip just past 36k after expiration of warranty. Top heavy - almost rolled. Replaced 4 wheel drive shift motor twice - poor design. Replaced idle air control valve at 40k. Poor fuel economy especially with air on. NO POWER / ACCELERATION. No resale value. Pluses. Great in snow! Other than yawing feels quite safe. Plenty of interior room great storage - good visibility.

Not so bad
By Cheryl on 11/10/05 06:02 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the car three years ago with about 60K miles. I loved the car and am just now hearing "whining" noises ... feel a little slippage from the transmission between 2nd and 3rd gears. Contemplating whether to fix the transmission or trade it in. I do love having an suv, sun roof, etc. It's roomy and I like the looks -- it also handles well in the winter. Until now, I've loved owning it and had no problems. However, it appears I have a transmission issue at this point and I'm not sure whether to replace transmission or not. Overall, I've enjoyed owning it. It did have relatively high mileage when I purchased it. Exterior and interior remains great.

Explorer has been reliable & very useful
By Jerry Gossett on 09/26/05 13:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

Owned since new. Has been a very good & reliable vehicle. No major repairs needed other than to replace rear window motor & regulator in 2004 costing $340. Paint still looks excellent. No rattles. V-6 engine runs well & gets very good mileage for SUV. Local 14.5-17 mpg & on road 18-24 mpg. With street-type tires Explorer is quiet & rides good - combination off-road/ street tires are noisy & rough. Wheel alignment stays well. Nothing falling apart in interior. Steering is starting to whine a little at 55,400. Very handy for hauling furniture, boxes, etc. No major complaints!