Used 1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

1999 Ford Explorer
By nazechad_3050

1999 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it in May with 120,000 miles on it. Drives great. Love the truck. Had three small problems with it and one huge one. The rear wiper has stopped working, the drivers door handle broke off, and the drivers lock keeps getting stuck. The huge problem was at 130,000 miles the transmission started to go. Wouldnt shift into 3rd gear smoothly anymore. Currently replacing the Transmission as I type this. Even with these problems i love the truck. does everything i ask it to do.

The AWD-4WD. Ride height.

Beware of the 1999 ford transmissions. the silonid in the tranmissions tend to go into shutdown mode.

my exploder sport
By sport man

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Ok well we got our exploder bout 3 years ago with only 56,000 miles on it and as of today there is over 171,000 miles on it and with the exception of the tranny the car runs great.... i never thought i would ever own a ford.

the ouside temp gage, and the fact that it has a 4.0 litter V-6 which will get out of its own way.

fuel economy, and suspention.

Great SUV
By Tom W

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought from old friend with only 88k last Sept and have logged almost 20k in ensuing months. Worst snow in NW Oregon in years and it soldiered through it, 34 miles each way, to work and back. Jeeps and other SUV's were in the ditch and on their sides, me and my Explorer just drove on as though we were inpervious. I'm a big guy, 6'4 215, and I fit perfectly in the car. The leather seats are comfortable enough althought the driver's is starting to sag. All the electrical is fine except the rear wiper which was a problem during the bad weather and the driver's door lock is frozen, but the auto lock still works fine. Paint and overall appearance is very nice still. Grey/ grey leather. Love it!

Engine (SOHC V6) and 5-sp trans work perfectly. Gets up and moves right out. Love to leave the kiddies in the dust with their little tuner cars. Gets looks from other owners. Color is pretty striking. Brother and family use it to go visit grandpa in Cent. OR. and kids have room enough.

XLT model should have moonroof as std eqpt. Just looked up cost of new and wonder why they don't show pwr pass seat opt.

Best SUV For Your Money
By Travis

1999 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLS with 184000 miles on it and I put that baby to the test every day. Things like going muddin and have never got stuck. I also go through snowbanks that the Chevy Blazer Never Dreamed of! The only major thing that has happend to my Explorer was the Tranny. I had to Flush it and replace the Filter in it. Not to hard of work. I think this is the best SUV for your money. I took my Explorer to Kansas this Spring and I live 6 hours from where I was going and I got 21 Miles to the Gallon in my Explorer. This is the best SUV I have ever Had!

4WD, 8 disc CD changer

Wish mine had the 5.0 instead of the 4.0

Explorer sport
By frank nj

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bough the truck new 10 years ago. I have 77,000 miles on it and the only major repairs that I have done was a transmission (after only 35,000 miles) and recently the tie rod and stabilizer cracked. Good SUV, bad fuel economy. Now the little things are going, cruise control, rear wiper, rear defogger, gasket around rear window, keyless entry