1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Still Going
By Chazmo on 07/02/07 09:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Other reviewers and friends of mine have "knocked" the Ford Explorer but my Explorer has been very good to me. It is a rugged, well-built vehicle that has proven reliable over the years.

Great Car
By Pete Murany on 02/12/07 19:19 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased new; after 124,000 miles I have not touched the motor. It is a V6 and have never added oil between changes. Except for replacing tires, brakes, and front ball joints the car is all original. It is sad to see the rating on not just Ford, but all American vehicles. I have had 6 Ford vehicles and 2 Thunderbirds 89 & 95. Both over 125,000 miles. 2 Town Cars, 92 was sold at 135,000; the 98 I still have with 93,000 miles. The V8 does use oil, but the V6 on one of T-bird's and on the Explorer never used oil.

solid dependable vehicle
By chris on 01/24/07 20:10 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

We've had this car about five years and really had very few problems with it. We call it the 'snow beast' as its awd is fantastic in the snow. I've had a couple other 4wd trucks and this is just much more competent in poor conditions. It has the 302 V8 and can pull a trailer without complaining and is comfortable to ride in and drive. It beats you up at the pump, but it averages about 17mpg in mixed driving, so it's not much worse than your average minivan, suv, or pickup truck without awd! It beats the Jeep Cherokee I had prior to this by about 4mpg and it had the 4.0l I6 with part time 4wd,

love my Explorer
By balger on 01/10/07 14:05 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my XLT Explorer new in '99 and am now going to sell it after 128K miles. I have never had any major problems. I changed the thermostat once and the alternator once, but $800 in repairs over almost 8 years isn't so bad. The ride is bumpy. The power locks are about worn out and the radio randomly switches to CD randomly, but it's an old SUV. What do you expect?

GreatCar
By Fordfan on 01/01/07 21:14 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

One of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Very reliable, only two failures in 95,000 miles; the radio display and a $100 EGR part.

American Dream?
By jminichino on 07/05/06 18:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought the car used at 19,000 miles and now have 130,000 miles on it. It has been a rough 130,000 miles. I change the oil every 5,000 miles and rotate tires. Thermostat has gone out twice, electrical system shorted out, causing $1,000 dollars in repairs, and my windshield wiper motor went out. Repairs keep adding up and I don't find it surprising that Ford is going bankrupt. I would love to buy another Ford, but I doubt that will ever happen again. American car companies need to invest in quality and durability or they are done for.

zippy toy with lots of room
By Kayak Hike Ski on 06/12/06 21:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I've put on two kayaks and stuffed the back full of camping gear. At 88,000 miles, it's always started when I turned the key.

great Ford vehicle
By kavinagal on 05/30/06 06:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

My car has been a wonderful vehicle -- has always had good performance. reliability and such a good look. It's in great shape and has excellent highway mileage.

I love my Eddie!
By WolfpackGirl on 05/01/06 03:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

This is a great SUV. Purchased it after getting tired of my sedan. I love the visibility and safety. The ride is comfortable, the seats feel like I'm sitting on a sofa. When I retire this one I will buy another!

Ford=Fix Or Repair Daily
By LBozeman on 03/13/06 16:45 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We bought the truck new. The check engine light has come on 7 times. Now the engine needs to be replaced. We have put close to a $500 in repairs into this truck every year for the last 7 years. We had to replace tires after the Firestone recall, the truck has had a shake in it ever since. When we go over a bump in the road or our driveway, the truck rocks so bad I feel like I have whiplash. I will NEVER buy another Explorer again. I begged my husband not to buy this one, now look where we are!