Used 1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Best SUV For Your Money
By Travis

1999 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLS with 184000 miles on it and I put that baby to the test every day. Things like going muddin and have never got stuck. I also go through snowbanks that the Chevy Blazer Never Dreamed of! The only major thing that has happend to my Explorer was the Tranny. I had to Flush it and replace the Filter in it. Not to hard of work. I think this is the best SUV for your money. I took my Explorer to Kansas this Spring and I live 6 hours from where I was going and I got 21 Miles to the Gallon in my Explorer. This is the best SUV I have ever Had!

4WD, 8 disc CD changer

Wish mine had the 5.0 instead of the 4.0

Explorer sport
By frank nj

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bough the truck new 10 years ago. I have 77,000 miles on it and the only major repairs that I have done was a transmission (after only 35,000 miles) and recently the tie rod and stabilizer cracked. Good SUV, bad fuel economy. Now the little things are going, cruise control, rear wiper, rear defogger, gasket around rear window, keyless entry

Buy American
By Mr. Smith

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have been on light but rocky 4wd roads in Colorado, cruised the interstates 12-16 hours a day, up and down ice, snow, mud, sleet, rain, 0 degrees to 105 degrees with this 2wd machine and it drives like a dream and is still a beautiful red that looks like it came off a showroom floor. This baby has over 110,000 miles and will outlast any foreign SUV. Ford meant it when they said their trucks are built Ford tough. That means SUVs too. Best auto I've ever had and I have had a few good ones.

Beautiful paint, fun to drive, and reliable with no major problems.

Change nothing

Nice SUV
By Stephen

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I noticed that a few people also have had the starting and stalling problem that I did for so many years. I attributed it to the cold winters in the Pacific NW. When I move to Arizona I still had the problem. I paid the dealership to find the problem and they did. It was a bad intake manifold gasket set. I paid $100 to find the problem and $20 for parts and fix it myself. Never again had the problem. I had the transmission replaced two years ago due to a broken fluid pump motor. I also have been told that the timming chain guides need to be fixed or replaced.

I love its design. I liked it from the day I bought it.

The only down side is lack of aftermarked performance accessories. I also cannot rent a trailer from U-Haul. Something about high rollover risk but I know it was from the tire problems Firestone had.

My LTD
By shadyjd

1999 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Bought at 30K and 30 months old. This gave me a little warranty time to check for bugs. Buttons in the steering wheel went out & passanger seat heater was always on. Wiring fixed & wheel replaced by dealer ($750) since then tires, brakes, oil & battery. A few minor problems. Passenger door doen't auto lock, am/fm light out (clock2), rear window loose (I often drive with it open. Great to haul in. I ski new powder. Great in snow with new tires( req: wilderness), slide a bit on ice but I do too. Over 6" I got chains. 12" No-problem! Leather seats are too hard. Engine lite on but I am getting +3mi/gl. so I have not reset it. Rough idle at start. Needs more nooks. Would not trade it for the world.

Snow, tow,glow & grow. Pulled 3yds of cement. Played in a field of fresh snow. Never stopped except battery. Auto lift works great but better mileage with 1000lbs.Go figure? 14 city. Ouch...21 hiway. Cool for an SUV. Easy step-in. I am short for an Expedition.

Battery. When door is open running & interior lights stay on. As battery voltage drops turn off any lites & cig. liter ( inverter has drained bat.). Lock nuts on rear window. Area for second battery & disk changer.