Used 1999 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Still Going
By magnum

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Funny, I feel like several of these posters are driving my Explorer. I'm at 175k miles. Radio display went out at about 50k miles. Rear wiper works maybe one month out of the year. Tranny still good but starting to show its age. Occasionally it won't start. I believe its a short in the fuel pump sensor. If I wait about 3-5 minutes, for some reason she'll start right up. Driver door handle broke and entire locking and handle configuration had to be redone. All in all, I've never put much money in this thing. It handles snow with absolute ease. Gas mileage averages 18.4 city and highway. For some reason, some car critics slam the explorer, but mine has been a darn good car overall.

Front seats are super comfortable to me. Rear seats are pretty terrible.

I wish I had LATCH for car seats, but then again it's a '99. My truck also rattles in idle. It's done it since I bought it. No reason to spend the money to fix it, so I've lived with it. But it is annoyingly loud in idle.

Not Great
By explorer

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok car in theory, but not built very well. Console cover broke off after a few days, power windows almost have stopped working and take a long time to put up. Transmission shot at 75,000 miles. Multiple blown head gaskets, ABS problems, AC compressor almost killed engine when accidentally switched on for a minute. The list goes on and on.

Cheap to fix its many problems.

RELIABILITY!

Wish I Could Have Kept
By staygold678

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

Great truck, but the gas around the city is crazy. I was spending 80 bucks a week just for daily commute. Bought the truck with a brand new transmission, and everything worked great. Hated to sell the thing but I cant live with paying that much..

GAS MILLAGE GAS MILLAGE GAS MILLAGE

AWESOME! miss it greatly.
By Jay

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Very comfortable, most reliable vehicle my family has ever owned. Around 20 mpg which is good. I rolled it on a gravel and completly destroyed it. Me and 4 friends walked out of the ditch with just bruises and a couple cuts. INCREDIBLE build quality. Definatly one of Ford's best vehicles. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

Room, kleenex outlet on center council, engine and transmission combo. Flawless 4x4. Strong build design.

Better mileage. but i'm not gonna complain about the 20 mpg at all. Lower center of gravity

Good Solid Vehicle
By Delta

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased car new in Nov 1999. Now have 207k miles on it and has been very reliable. Still driving it to work everyday. Only issues on vehicle - rear wiper inop, replaced one thermostat, radio display blanked out, needed ball joints at 205k miles.

Reliability.