1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
The best SUV in America
By bobby smith on 07/01/08 19:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle with 182,000 miles on it and it has run real good for me. It still doesn't use any oil, and all the power features work 100%. It also does real good on fuel 16-19 city, 21-24+ highway with the sohc v6 engine. The Eddie Bauer leather seats are real comfortable. It has a sharp turning radius, and the 4x4 auto gets great traction.

Absolutely Love my Explorer
By BB on 05/23/08 08:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Explorer after my GMC Sonoma was totaled. My back was injured so I was needed something comfortable and reliable. I found it in the Explorer. I have had only two mechanical problems: locking mechanism went out on the drivers door this year ($500incl labor) and the “GEM” module went out so I don’t have washer fluid on the windshield ($300 for part from Ford). Otherwise very reliable. Overall great SUV.

Just keeps running
By grahame on 03/19/08 18:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new and maintained. Kind of wish it would give me excuse to get rid of it, after almost nine years it would be nice to drive something different. It just keeps running and at this stage is not worth much as a trade in. It hauls construction materials, has pulled trailer, been in Northern Ontario and Quebec in the winter and is safe and reliable. I read about people with transmission issues and drive train issues but so far it's been bulletproof.

Great Bang for the Buck!
By Fedgar on 03/18/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I am long-time Ford fan. Have owned three Explorer, hands-down one of the best products ever made by Ford. Plan on buying an '06 soon. Will definitely get the 4 door next time, but the two-door is very maneuverable in city traffic. Easy to park, very reliable.

Perferct car
By SOHCv6 on 02/02/08 12:18 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Very reliable, 5 speed automatic and low gears just perfect. Good gas mileage for the powerful truck. It does 16.5 in the city

Reliable and Comfortable
By David on 01/07/08 06:42 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used w/20,000 and am now up to 170,000 - no major problems. Replaced the ball joints was the biggest cost item. The Explorer has always started and is great in the snow, 4WD is superb and easy to operate. Had a Jeep Cherokee, which also was great in 4WD, but the Explorer is much more comfortable and roomy. Visibility is also very good. Worth a lot more than it's valued at, not sure why it gets any low ratings (because It's American I think).

My XLS that I just recently crashed
By crazy zach and x xls on 12/05/07 20:07 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I had a 1999 Ford Explorer XLS, by far the most amazing truck I''ve ever had. It made its noises in the suspension and so on but it was to be expected with the way I drove. It was really fast 0-50 and then getting from there up was a little slow but still not an issue. I recently tottaled it unfortunately after investing a good amount of money in it. I spun it 3 or 4 times and then flipped it 3 to 5 times and then into the woods and walked away scot free only little cuts from the glass a bruise on the shoulder from the seatbelt and a bump on the head and cut from glass. This car saved my life. I very, very highly recomend it for first time drivers

Still Running Great
By Maureen on 11/19/07 12:36 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Explorer Sport for several years & and now at 133k & several WI winters later its still running well. The alternator is the only significant part that's failed. Keep up with the regular maintenance & you shouldn't have problems. Perfect for driving around town & for hauling things. I'll probably be replacing this one with another '02 or '03 since those were the last years for the 2DR.

Poor fuel economy
By Mi on 08/21/07 00:57 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I had to replace the engine head although there was coolant in the tank. Fuel economy is terrible. It now barely makes about 13 mpg.

Loving it
By scooter on 08/18/07 17:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Handles great, good turnning radius, not much of a blind spot, low maintenance