1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
what a gigantic error...
By dino on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

gas guzzling nerd mobile -electric door lock failed 2x - center armrest broke off - can't sell or trade in if my life depended on it

Great SUV
By CRM74 on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I purchased my truck new almost 4 years ago, and have had no problems. It handles great in poor weather, it's reliable, and the sound system is superb. As for fuel economy, it's an SUV, so it's not great. Compared to other SUVs though, it's not bad.

Reliable and True, Great SUV ride!!
By Dnice on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

No problems, great SUV, space and style, reliablity, i love my color!! Looks sweet! would recomend to any SUV fan in the sporty range.

Average car
By francisco de Paula on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Comfort, Economy and Fun to drive could be improved. Good Reliability.

What a mistake......
By jusmc on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I purchased my Sport in the fall of 1999. I was happy at first but oh how things have changed. The gas mileage is horraid, all the recalls form the tires to the problem with the windshield wiper/turn signal electric box (3 times there) and then the problems with the ride quality. When taking turns it feels as if i'm going to lose control of the car and tumble over making me feel unsafe. And now that I have gotten to over 40,000 miles the engine is giving me problems. The only good thing about buying a Ford is Ford Credit, other than tht I will never buy a Ford again. It seems all the old sayings are true ...

Awesome 4 the Buck
By Ernie/Miami on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Incredible enough but I have yet 2 change my rear brakes since the purchase of car in 1999. Talk about reliable! I have close to 80000 miles and I have not had a single engine problem. I rate this car a must buy, except 4 us tall guys.

Reliable
By djuro on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought the vehicle for reliable, all weather transportation. Great performance to fuel economy ratio. Easy to park in LA.

Great Truck!! Review By Picky Car Buff
By Gary Marchlewicz on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

No problems after 54K miles. Very solid construction. My Chevy's never go this long without needing repairs. I have the smaller V6. Pleanty of power, but not a racer. The ride is rough, but It's a truck! The under carriage is looking a little rusty. The paint still looks great. I am 6' 4" tall. This truck is a little too cramped for me. My wife and I vacation in it every year anyway. I want to move up to an expedition, but I don't want to give up my perfectly reliable little truck. I had the Firestone's replaced with Pirelli Scorpions. Awesome tires! It's only 2 wheel drive. I load up 240 Lbs of sand tubes in the winter . Cuts right through the snow!!

great
By jennifer lynn on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

all i need to say is great!!!! no problems!!!

'99 Explorer Sport
By Eren on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought this car in summer of '99 with 11k miles on it and now 3yrs later and now at 60k miles, it still runs great! It was my first car at age 15 and I think this vehicle makes a GREAT beginners car. The Winsheild wipers and Firestone recalls were a bit of a problem but the people at Ford replaced the wipers hassle-free and Firestone bought me $400 Goodyears. This SUV is really good when towing(Jet Ski) and I didn't have to buy a towing package (Just a ball). Overall an EXCELLENT car!