1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews 2

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
AWESOME! miss it greatly.
By Jay on 02/11/10 14:41 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Very comfortable, most reliable vehicle my family has ever owned. Around 20 mpg which is good. I rolled it on a gravel and completly destroyed it. Me and 4 friends walked out of the ditch with just bruises and a couple cuts. INCREDIBLE build quality. Definatly one of Ford's best vehicles. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

Good Solid Vehicle
By Delta on 02/01/10 15:02 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased car new in Nov 1999. Now have 207k miles on it and has been very reliable. Still driving it to work everyday. Only issues on vehicle - rear wiper inop, replaced one thermostat, radio display blanked out, needed ball joints at 205k miles.

1999 Ford Explorer
By nazechad_3050 on 12/02/09 10:22 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it in May with 120,000 miles on it. Drives great. Love the truck. Had three small problems with it and one huge one. The rear wiper has stopped working, the drivers door handle broke off, and the drivers lock keeps getting stuck. The huge problem was at 130,000 miles the transmission started to go. Wouldnt shift into 3rd gear smoothly anymore. Currently replacing the Transmission as I type this. Even with these problems i love the truck. does everything i ask it to do.

my exploder sport
By sport man on 10/17/09 21:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Ok well we got our exploder bout 3 years ago with only 56,000 miles on it and as of today there is over 171,000 miles on it and with the exception of the tranny the car runs great.... i never thought i would ever own a ford.

Great SUV
By Tom W on 05/29/09 22:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought from old friend with only 88k last Sept and have logged almost 20k in ensuing months. Worst snow in NW Oregon in years and it soldiered through it, 34 miles each way, to work and back. Jeeps and other SUV's were in the ditch and on their sides, me and my Explorer just drove on as though we were inpervious. I'm a big guy, 6'4 215, and I fit perfectly in the car. The leather seats are comfortable enough althought the driver's is starting to sag. All the electrical is fine except the rear wiper which was a problem during the bad weather and the driver's door lock is frozen, but the auto lock still works fine. Paint and overall appearance is very nice still. Grey/ grey leather. Love it!

Best SUV For Your Money
By Travis on 05/13/09 07:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLS with 184000 miles on it and I put that baby to the test every day. Things like going muddin and have never got stuck. I also go through snowbanks that the Chevy Blazer Never Dreamed of! The only major thing that has happend to my Explorer was the Tranny. I had to Flush it and replace the Filter in it. Not to hard of work. I think this is the best SUV for your money. I took my Explorer to Kansas this Spring and I live 6 hours from where I was going and I got 21 Miles to the Gallon in my Explorer. This is the best SUV I have ever Had!

Explorer sport
By frank nj on 01/20/09 13:53 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bough the truck new 10 years ago. I have 77,000 miles on it and the only major repairs that I have done was a transmission (after only 35,000 miles) and recently the tie rod and stabilizer cracked. Good SUV, bad fuel economy. Now the little things are going, cruise control, rear wiper, rear defogger, gasket around rear window, keyless entry

Buy American
By Mr. Smith on 12/12/08 07:44 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have been on light but rocky 4wd roads in Colorado, cruised the interstates 12-16 hours a day, up and down ice, snow, mud, sleet, rain, 0 degrees to 105 degrees with this 2wd machine and it drives like a dream and is still a beautiful red that looks like it came off a showroom floor. This baby has over 110,000 miles and will outlast any foreign SUV. Ford meant it when they said their trucks are built Ford tough. That means SUVs too. Best auto I've ever had and I have had a few good ones.

Nice SUV
By Stephen on 09/10/08 21:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I noticed that a few people also have had the starting and stalling problem that I did for so many years. I attributed it to the cold winters in the Pacific NW. When I move to Arizona I still had the problem. I paid the dealership to find the problem and they did. It was a bad intake manifold gasket set. I paid $100 to find the problem and $20 for parts and fix it myself. Never again had the problem. I had the transmission replaced two years ago due to a broken fluid pump motor. I also have been told that the timming chain guides need to be fixed or replaced.

My LTD
By shadyjd on 09/10/08 15:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Bought at 30K and 30 months old. This gave me a little warranty time to check for bugs. Buttons in the steering wheel went out & passanger seat heater was always on. Wiring fixed & wheel replaced by dealer ($750) since then tires, brakes, oil & battery. A few minor problems. Passenger door doen't auto lock, am/fm light out (clock2), rear window loose (I often drive with it open. Great to haul in. I ski new powder. Great in snow with new tires( req: wilderness), slide a bit on ice but I do too. Over 6" I got chains. 12" No-problem! Leather seats are too hard. Engine lite on but I am getting +3mi/gl. so I have not reset it. Rough idle at start. Needs more nooks. Would not trade it for the world.