1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great SUV
By Endi on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is impressive. It is comfortable and handles like a pro in bad Colorado weather. It does seem a little top heavy and drives like a "truck", but this isn't terribly annoying since I indeed purchased a utility vehicle. The Firestone issue makes me leary, but I think overall it was blown out of proportion. Highly recommended.

Satisfied owner
By PDX on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Thought it might be a bit smoother on the ride. Still rides like a truck but I thought at the time it would be ok. Overall I have been satisfied with the truck. 30K and I just had a thermostat stick. Warranty repair so no $$$ to me.... Seems to be a smell coming from the AC system which cannot be improved so the dealer has said. They tell me that the AC unit is always on and leaves a residual amount of condensation on the system which leads to this smell. They tried to inject air freshener into the system but it smelled worse for about a month so no more of that!

Excellent SUV
By J. OBrien on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I Love It.... this SUV has been fun to drive, reliable and it handles very well in bad weather. Other than 2 minor recalls and the Firestone mess, I have no mechanical problems at all with my Explorer. I put Pirelli Scorpions on to replace the Firestones...what a difference. This truck handles like a dream.

Happy with the Explorer Sport
By tonguebp on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Overall we are happy with the 99 Explorer Sport. The vehicle is reliable, comfortable, convenient, and cost effective. We have put 25K miles on this vehicle (starting at 30K) and have only had to replace the oil pressure sending unit @ $30.

Highly Enjoyable
By Ravenugc on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I have to say that I love this vehicle. Drives great, feels great, and gets me where I need to go. Has a bad wrap for some reason, but for me, it does what I need it to.

Love my Eddie Bauer!
By Rchap on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Have owned the vehicle for almost 2.5 yrs and it is as pleasurable to drive today as it was on day one. The V8 engine has plenty of oomph and gas mileage has been better than expected (15 city/18 hwy). The brute force of the engine and luxurious styling and features make the vehicle very versatile. Even though it is 4x2, I have taken it off road in the Arizona desert and it performed fine. So far, have not had any problems except for a minor electrical glitch with the wipers that was promptly fixed. Also, replaced the Firestone tires, even though I really liked them and didn't think it was necessary (dealer really pushed to replace on a maintenance visit).

Ford Explorer Sport
By apf2004 on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

It is top heavy, unstable, and a gas guzzler

Initial Review
By jepearson on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

So far, I am pleased.

Good SUV short on "Quality is Job 1"
By hwydave on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The vehicle was bought new, for the end of model year vehicle. There are some rust under the car, nothing major but annoying. The dealer won't fix under warranty since it "did not rust through" as require under the warranty criteria for repair. I order the rustproof paint through internet and took care the rust myself. The vehicle got some rattle once in a while; the dealership has been very good at fixing these "recurring" issues. The dealership service has been OK – The dealer does not know what tires are qualify under the Firestone tire replacement campaign; I know more about this issue then the dealership by simply go to the information from Ford's company website.

good auto
By WALTER on 03/17/02 18:08 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV

auto is good for the price. repairs are cheap.