1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
IN THE SHOP
By intheshop on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I LIVE IN THE REPAIR SHOP WITH THIS CAR! SO MANY RECALLS - PROBLEMS WITH BOTH FRONT AND REAR WIPERS, INTAKE VALVE, LEAKING ROOF, ALTERNATOR, TIRES AND JUST POOR PERFORMANCE. THE DEALER IS NEVER A HELP AND IT USUALLY TAKES 3- 4 VISITS TO GET A PROBLEM RESOLVED. CAN'T WAIT TILL I CAN TRADE IT IN FOR A TOYOTA!

truck sucks
By wolfie47 on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

i bought this vehicle with 12000 miles, needed new engine after 19000 miles, have 37000 currently and it already needs a new engine, i use mobile one full sythetic oil with wix filter, and run fuel cleaner every 4000 miles, and the engine is already breaking down. The tranny is also slipping while driving.

Awesome 4 the Buck
By Ernie/Miami on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Incredible enough but I have yet 2 change my rear brakes since the purchase of car in 1999. Talk about reliable! I have close to 80000 miles and I have not had a single engine problem. I rate this car a must buy, except 4 us tall guys.

disappointed
By first explorer on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my first ford explorer. It was great for a while and then problems with the electrical and suspension started around 45k miles. The impression I got from several ford dealers was I should just expect these type of problems and the associated cost. Afer 18 months of this I decided to trade the eddie bauer in and pick up a used 4 runner (its great). Beware of the lousy resale on the explorer.

Fun to drive!
By Chad Williams on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought it this year new. It had 74,000 miles on it. I now have about 96,000 miles on it. About 5,000 miles ago I had to have the transmission rebuilt because of the value bodies in the trans were failing. I am glad I took out the extended warr. they covered the rebuild except for the $100 deductable. If I hadnt had the warr. it would have cost me $3200. Other than the transmission the SUV has been great. I have loved driving it since I got in it in January. It has been reliable. Even when it was having tans problems, it was still going and going.

John G
By JDG on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

My fourth explorer, I have loved them all....I would recommend this vehicle to anyone with confidence

Mike's Review
By Mike Caruso on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have like my ford explorer. The only problem I have is that the lack of room when we want to go camping with 3 kids.

Disappointed overall
By Ex-explorer owner on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this vehicle with 9,800 miles on it at the end of the model year. It has had six recalls including Firestone tires, faulty airbag wire harness, faulty wiper wiring (wipers would turn on without warning), and two reprogrammings of control modules. Ford had to replace lower front ball- joints at 28,000 mi. under warranty. Fuel system sensor went out at 37,000 miles (car cut-off repeatedly at road speed) and Ford would not cover that. Combined with poor gas mileage in town, this is a TERRIBLE vehicle. Consumer Reports rates the 1999 Explorer as Do Not Buy because of reliability problems.

Good SUV
By Buyer on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Attractive SUV. Bad steering but all the power makes up for it.

Reliable
By djuro on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought the vehicle for reliable, all weather transportation. Great performance to fuel economy ratio. Easy to park in LA.