Used 1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Review of 1999 Ford Explorer
By Aleta Walker

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my car. Through all the SUV tales of rollovers and the Firestone tire issue we survived and love this car. Only shortcoming is the view and comfort of the back seat. Ford should narrow the front seat headrests for better back seat views. Thank goodness I'm usually the driver.

I enjoy the height above traffic without being too big and intrusive in traffic.

Improve the view from rear seat. Also, driver experiences a blind spot when not only looking in side mirror when changing lanes to left but also turning my head and looking back.

Never Again!
By RLGHDAVE

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought used with 25k miles. Transmission (automatic) replaced with Ford rebuilt at 80K. Now at 140K transmission is failing again! This has turned me against Ford forever. Other downers: backseats very uncomfortable, rear seat belts torture passenger, poor city gas mileage, safety concerns with tipping over if tire failure, poor towing ability (UHaul won't even rent you a trailer), rear end wants to come around on gravel roads. Owning this vehicle for nearly 6 years has convinced me that I will NEVER AGAIN buy a Ford. My next vehicle will be a Toyota or Honda.

Great space in rear if you fold down seats. OK in snow. No major engine malfunctions. Interior and exterior hardware OK. Still runs after 140K miles. Fairly comfortable ride for driver.

I consider this vehicle unsafe for a novice driver because of handling. Better suspension is needed. Also, automatic transmission is all together too gimpy!

I hate Ford. No more American cars.
By gantnerg

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This car was great until around 50,000 miles when the transmission started acting up. It surges between 2nd and 3rd gears. It still works with no repair but still surges. I can deal with that. But now at 65,000 miles I had to have the intake gasket replaced at a cool $1,000! I was even sort of ok with that; but now the 4WD HIGH and LOW lights are flashing. I am sick of trouble codes with this SUV!!! I knew I shouldn't have given up my Camry. Why can't American car makers build a reliable car like the Japanese?

I like the room and the ride. I would have no problems whatsoever if the car worked reliably. I like the trucky ride and expected the gas mileage. The seats are comfortable enough too. It handles great off road.

MAKE IT WORK! I paid it off two years early and have nothing but repairs since. I would get rid of it if I wouldn't lose so much in doing so.

Most Disappointing Vehicle I have owned
By Rob

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Requires the most maintenance of any vehicle I have owned. Timing chain tensioner (twice), emission control pump, ball joints (all), intake manifold gaskets, transmission valve assembly, O2 sensors (twice), required new transmission at 94K, the list goes on ... Some of these were covered under warranty. FORD so far has been unwilling to back the transmission. I had the vehicle into a FORD dealer at least 5 times between 30k and 75K (when the extended warranty ran out) and every time I was told that it was OK. Transmission failed at 94K. Pretty poor for a vehicle that is used as a daily driver and only hauled a small aluminum boat on a handful of occasions. Will NEVER buy another FORD.

Vehicle is relatively comfortable and has a useful layout. This does not make up for poor build quality and reliability.

More reliability all the way around. Transmission, auto transfer case, engine etc, appear to be weak points.

ver y reliable
By turlet

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in Deceber 01. I was a single 28 yr old guy at the time and wanted something that I thought would be cool. I bought the Louisville made Explorer. I loved it. Still do for the most part. However my new wife has inherited it. Which is fine, she drives only 5 minutes to work and with the 17mpg it gets. I can't afford to pay 2 dollar gas. We still drive it when we go places. It has been very reliable for me. I know a lot of people have had some problems. If you don't drive it like a bat out of hell and change the oil it will be fine. Besides normal maintenance not had the 1st problem

Cruise Control, Strong Radio, good 4wd package

Gas mileage is Putrid!! But tha's what you expect. Weak V6 for such a big bodied vehicle

• SUV