1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Fraud Explorer
By Gary Leeman on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled I am to be getting this load of junk off of my hands tomorrow. The amenities in the limited trim are very nice, the issue is that they don't last long. To name just a few...the rear wiper no longer works, the radio display is blank, the power drivers seat no longer works, right rear passenger window motor is dead, passenger seat heater is out and the cd player is hit or miss. After all of these years one would have to believe that sooner or later, Ford will finally get it. Trading in on a Honda Pilot tomorrow morning...can't wait.

Not for new drivers!
By wcroninger on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

We purchased our Explorer with about 47K on it. It is certainly a comfortable vehicle but at 67K things are beginning to get a bit quirky. The worst aspect if the handling. Between my wife and I we have owned quite a few vehicles from Cameros to VW Vans. This one is one has, by far, the most evil handling of the bunch. Our daughter will start driving soon and we have already told her she will not drive this vehicle. It seems to just look for an opportunity to break the rear end free.

What a mistake......
By jusmc on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I purchased my Sport in the fall of 1999. I was happy at first but oh how things have changed. The gas mileage is horraid, all the recalls form the tires to the problem with the windshield wiper/turn signal electric box (3 times there) and then the problems with the ride quality. When taking turns it feels as if i'm going to lose control of the car and tumble over making me feel unsafe. And now that I have gotten to over 40,000 miles the engine is giving me problems. The only good thing about buying a Ford is Ford Credit, other than tht I will never buy a Ford again. It seems all the old sayings are true ...

We love our Explorer
By unney on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We just recently purchased our Explorer. So far, we love it. It rides and steers smoothly. There's plenty of room for us, the kids and our luggage. It's very comfortable. We bought an extended warranty, because you never know!

Now That the Tire Flap Is Behind Us...
By Mountain on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

All things considered, Ford did a pretty fair job of making things right during the Tire Crisis with Firestone. We have new tires, and we enjoy our Explorer. It's still a truck, though, no getting around that - just tromp on the gas, and you'll get the point: little acceleration, big noise. Still it's pretty, has a large interior, and our Limited Package is extremely comfortable. It is a great "utility vehicle," and it's good with long hauls.

JUNK
By RICH LUNDELL on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

FOR MOST OF MY LIFE I HAVE DRIVEN TOYOTAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND WHY I LET MY SON TALK ME INTO THIS PIECE OF JUNK IS BEYOND ME.THE TRANSMISSION WENT AFTER 5 MONTHS@60,000 MILES. I GUESS THEY DIDN'T MENTION IT WAS A 2400$$ EXTRA

Piece of junk!!!!!!!!
By Petty on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

The first and LAST time I will ever own a Ford. On average it goes into the shop every 3,000 - 4,000mi. Transmission went bad at 25,000mi, and then two more times after that. Ball joints replaced 15 times, 2 leaf springs broke while driving down the road. Numerous electrical problems. Tailgate doesn't open properly. not enough room to list every problem! NEVER BUY A FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have owned 3 Subarus, and I never have to fix a thing.!!!!!!!!!!

1999 Ford Explorer
By Anonymous2002 on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I typically buy foreign cars, but decided to try an American made car. Started with a 1996 GMC Jimmy. This was a piece of crap and I dumped it after the warranty ran out. So I decided to try one more American made car. I checked out the Explorer. It looked really nice. The inside was designed nicely. I have had this car for 4 years now and it has been wonderful. I plan on keeping it for at least another 4 years.

Not enough room
By pyano on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a used Ford Explorer XLT with 43000 miles to haul around stuff every once in a while. The only problem is that the rear window is not 4 feet wide so you can't haul plywood or sheetrock inside the car!! Some other SUVS in the same class like Isuzu Trooper you CAN haul plywood inside. Its a fun car but not big enough if you're looking to move stuff around for home projects.

Don't Buy
By Mindcrime on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My wife has a 1999 2d 4wd Sport model. Like most for cars/trucks, this thing is a piece of junk. The overall build quality is poor. The plastics inside are low grade quality and the vehicle reliability is terrible. She has had the airbag go out, and needed major work on the engine. At 35,000 miles over $4,500 in repair work on the engine needed to be performed. Driving the Explorer is a nightmare, with uncomfortable seats and ride. We are looking into trading this in and getting something more reliable, like a Honda CR-V. I'm still amazed the people spend $30,000+ thousand on any Ford product. They are over priced and of poor quality.