Used 1999 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

6 plus years and still humming
By Gasburner

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought a V8 XLT with the sport package brand new. Tows my 17' boat like it is not even back there. No real problems to speak of, except maybe poor quality of Ford service departments. The engine and transmission have been rock solid. I had some problems early on with the windshield wipers having a mind of there own. I also had the front ball joints go out at 50K. Everything fixed under (extended) warranty. At the rate I'm going, I don't think I'll get my money back (in repairs) for the extended warranty. All in all I have no regrets.

Favorite Features

V8, 255 x 70 x 16 Michelin LTX tires, and auto headlights with auto dimming rearview mirror (best $87 I ever spent).

Suggested Improvements

I think Ford hit all my suggestions with the latest model, except the load floor on the '06's should be completely flat (not almost flat).

Ford Explorer XLS
By Jason

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV

I have owned my Explorer for a year now and I actually like it. It's a 1999 XLS. I like the style of the XLS because it gives you the sporty look of the sport version in a four door. Although it is under powered on the highway with its OHV 4.0 V-6, it does well off road and with towing situations. Overall it is a good dependable truck but would fare better with the OHC engine or the v-8.

Favorite Features

XLS grille and ground clearance is great. Very roomy.

Suggested Improvements

More balanced hp to weight ratio. I believe it would actually give it better gas mileage.

1999 Mistake
By Thomas Wolfe

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV

Bought new. Transmission started to slip just past 36k after expiration of warranty. Top heavy - almost rolled. Replaced 4 wheel drive shift motor twice - poor design. Replaced idle air control valve at 40k. Poor fuel economy especially with air on. NO POWER / ACCELERATION. No resale value. Pluses. Great in snow! Other than yawing feels quite safe. Plenty of interior room great storage - good visibility.

Favorite Features

Traction in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission power/acceleration. Better design on 4WD shift motor.

Not so bad
By Cheryl

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the car three years ago with about 60K miles. I loved the car and am just now hearing "whining" noises ... feel a little slippage from the transmission between 2nd and 3rd gears. Contemplating whether to fix the transmission or trade it in. I do love having an suv, sun roof, etc. It's roomy and I like the looks -- it also handles well in the winter. Until now, I've loved owning it and had no problems. However, it appears I have a transmission issue at this point and I'm not sure whether to replace transmission or not. Overall, I've enjoyed owning it. It did have relatively high mileage when I purchased it. Exterior and interior remains great.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, and roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Improve interior design, work on transmission functionality.

Explorer has been reliable & very useful
By Jerry Gossett

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

Owned since new. Has been a very good & reliable vehicle. No major repairs needed other than to replace rear window motor & regulator in 2004 costing $340. Paint still looks excellent. No rattles. V-6 engine runs well & gets very good mileage for SUV. Local 14.5-17 mpg & on road 18-24 mpg. With street-type tires Explorer is quiet & rides good - combination off-road/ street tires are noisy & rough. Wheel alignment stays well. Nothing falling apart in interior. Steering is starting to whine a little at 55,400. Very handy for hauling furniture, boxes, etc. No major complaints!

Favorite Features

Usability: very handy vehicle. Holds 5 comfortably and with the rear seats down, it can hold a lot. V-6 has good power on hills, etc. without pinging.

Suggested Improvements

Ventilation: Must have air conditioning on to shut off outside air (exhaust from other cars) and still have fan circulating. Cup holders could have better placement.