1999 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
I guess I got a good one
By 99Limited on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

For the most part, and probably since I have the extended warranty, my 99 Ltd with 4.10 LS and rear load leveling (air shocks) has served me very well over three years now. Sure, it's been in the shop, no more than my Integra, Camry or others I've had. Most problems have been with minor items dying such as the rear wiper motor (2x), rear gate shocks (2x), door locks not working from remote and front brake grinding (dealer probably over-tightened the lugs when rotating wheels). I recently replaced ALL fluids ($400US) at 40k and it runs better than new. Trust me, it works and will probably extend the life of your "Exploder".

Great SUV
By CRM74 on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I purchased my truck new almost 4 years ago, and have had no problems. It handles great in poor weather, it's reliable, and the sound system is superb. As for fuel economy, it's an SUV, so it's not great. Compared to other SUVs though, it's not bad.

Reliable and True, Great SUV ride!!
By Dnice on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

No problems, great SUV, space and style, reliablity, i love my color!! Looks sweet! would recomend to any SUV fan in the sporty range.

Great Truck to Drive
By DrDRoss6 on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I just got this truck today. It has 69k miles and is in GREAT condition!! No problems at all. Had it inspected by a professional mechanic that we are friends with before we purchased it and no problems at all were found. I am very happy with it!!!

Explorer
By bob clavet on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Great on trips. Great off road. Great in city.

99 Explorer, tie rod end replace 37K
By tipman053 on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

At 37000 miles all four tie rod ends needed to be replaced. This seems too soon. The cup holders and extra storage in the front area is extremely poor. Driver seat does not go back far enough for leg and arm comfort. Performance is very good, and gas mileage is surprisingly good for such a large vehicle. Side to side rocking on rough roads seems excessive.

Average car
By francisco de Paula on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

Comfort, Economy and Fun to drive could be improved. Good Reliability.

Bad Drive train
By Samson on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the Eddie Bauer 99 with all trimings. At 8000 miles the Transmission exploded and had to be replaced. . The SOC engine had many repairs on the timing belts and finally they pulled the engine to do one. Still noisy timing belts when cold. Ford is useless. Last week I had the 60,000 mile $400 service done. Today they had to replace front wheel bearing and many antilock brake parts.

Fraud Explorer
By Gary Leeman on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled I am to be getting this load of junk off of my hands tomorrow. The amenities in the limited trim are very nice, the issue is that they don't last long. To name just a few...the rear wiper no longer works, the radio display is blank, the power drivers seat no longer works, right rear passenger window motor is dead, passenger seat heater is out and the cd player is hit or miss. After all of these years one would have to believe that sooner or later, Ford will finally get it. Trading in on a Honda Pilot tomorrow morning...can't wait.

Not for new drivers!
By wcroninger on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

We purchased our Explorer with about 47K on it. It is certainly a comfortable vehicle but at 67K things are beginning to get a bit quirky. The worst aspect if the handling. Between my wife and I we have owned quite a few vehicles from Cameros to VW Vans. This one is one has, by far, the most evil handling of the bunch. Our daughter will start driving soon and we have already told her she will not drive this vehicle. It seems to just look for an opportunity to break the rear end free.