Used 1999 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great SUV
By Tom W

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought from old friend with only 88k last Sept and have logged almost 20k in ensuing months. Worst snow in NW Oregon in years and it soldiered through it, 34 miles each way, to work and back. Jeeps and other SUV's were in the ditch and on their sides, me and my Explorer just drove on as though we were inpervious. I'm a big guy, 6'4 215, and I fit perfectly in the car. The leather seats are comfortable enough althought the driver's is starting to sag. All the electrical is fine except the rear wiper which was a problem during the bad weather and the driver's door lock is frozen, but the auto lock still works fine. Paint and overall appearance is very nice still. Grey/ grey leather. Love it!

Favorite Features

Engine (SOHC V6) and 5-sp trans work perfectly. Gets up and moves right out. Love to leave the kiddies in the dust with their little tuner cars. Gets looks from other owners. Color is pretty striking. Brother and family use it to go visit grandpa in Cent. OR. and kids have room enough.

Suggested Improvements

XLT model should have moonroof as std eqpt. Just looked up cost of new and wonder why they don't show pwr pass seat opt.

Never Again!
By RLGHDAVE

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought used with 25k miles. Transmission (automatic) replaced with Ford rebuilt at 80K. Now at 140K transmission is failing again! This has turned me against Ford forever. Other downers: backseats very uncomfortable, rear seat belts torture passenger, poor city gas mileage, safety concerns with tipping over if tire failure, poor towing ability (UHaul won't even rent you a trailer), rear end wants to come around on gravel roads. Owning this vehicle for nearly 6 years has convinced me that I will NEVER AGAIN buy a Ford. My next vehicle will be a Toyota or Honda.

Favorite Features

Great space in rear if you fold down seats. OK in snow. No major engine malfunctions. Interior and exterior hardware OK. Still runs after 140K miles. Fairly comfortable ride for driver.

Suggested Improvements

I consider this vehicle unsafe for a novice driver because of handling. Better suspension is needed. Also, automatic transmission is all together too gimpy!

Best auto I have ever owned
By goldilox

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Best auto ever owned...reliable...never once in the shop except for reg checkups.

Reliable, amazing in snow
By Altimac

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this truck right before the new model designs came out. Bad move - the resale value dropped through the floor. Other than that, this truck has been extremely reliable, especially useful in the Minnesota winters. Very fun to drive in snow, and the V8 really gets her on the highway quick. Only troubles in last 3 years were the spark plug wires had to be replaced, front washer squirters got weak, and the rear wiper stopped working temporarily.

Favorite Features

V8 power, and AWD control - never get stuck in this one.

Suggested Improvements

I understand a V8 AWD will suck gas like no-ones business, but more MPG would be nice. Also, built in towing package would be good, but I believe the newer models already have that.

First SUV
By Chrisava7

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This is my first truck!! Since i got it i loved it!! The only problem is that after i got it i had some problems with the transmission. But since it was certified by ford it was all covered. I have done over 5,000 miles in two months and i know that it will be able to keep up with my crazy driving habits